What's Up in January 2018

chesilbeach

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy New Year, everyone!

I'm just about to take down the Christmas decorations.  Then I plan on doing some reading, and later on will watch the beginning of Season 5 of Elementary on DVD.  Between all of that, I'll be opening a bottle of fizz, and cooking a New Year's Day dinner -- wahoo!

Happy New Year, everyone!

Today I will be attempting to finish the last of my coursework - due Wednesday, eek! I must also finish a cross-stitch that was meant to be a Christmas present. :hide:

My arm has been really sore for almost a week now, not sure what I did to it. Some kind of muscle pain, I think, so that's been slowing me down in terms of getting anything done.

The rest of the day then will likely be spent reading!

Back to normal routine today.  Can’t say I was happy when the alarm went off early this morning, but it wasn’t as bad as I’d thought it might be.  So, today was work during the day, then a bit of food shopping on the way home, and now time for a little bit of reading before tea.  Looking forward to the weekend already! :lol: 

Hey y'all!

Hope you all had a lovely New Years! Hubby went back to work today and I have been out running errands. I dropped cable boxes off, did some grocery shopping, dropped Kizzy off at the groomers, picked up a new leash/tag (address change) and new bedding and have wingetts marinating. We have the final walk thru of the rental and pick up a bed when hubby gets off work. All and all, its still a pretty slow day. The rest of the week will be pretty quiet. Hubby already finished unpacking the garage so now everything is in its proper place. Can't wait for Kizzy to see her new bed!

Happy New Year, to all :)

It’s the first day back to work for me, today. I just had a quick look on trains and seen my fare has gone up once again by 20pence. It makes me so mad! No doubt I’ll experience late runnings and cancelled trains. 

Anyway, don’t want my first post of this year to be a negative one. I have good feelings about this year. Last year wasn’t the best for personal reasons, but something good did happen to me. I met somebody wonderful! 

Hope today is a good day for everyone. Sounds quite bad but glad it’s only a three day week! I think the first day back is always the worst. 

First day back to work for me too. Couldn't sleep last night, was tossing and turning until about 2:30. Happens when I've been relaxed for a while and then have to face back into work, I think it's like an undercurrent of mild anxiety. Still, I wasn't as wrecked as I expected getting up at 7, so that was nice.

A really sad start to 2018 for my little family; we lost our old dog, Obi, today, aged 14 years and 2 months. He was a truly special boy, he didn't like many people but those he did like, he LOVED! He was hard work at times which meant we had to work hard with him, this only increased our bond further. He was loyal to the end and was still following me up and down stairs out of sheer determination and love this morning. He will be so so missed. :(:(:( 

6 hours ago, Nollaig said:

First day back to work for me too. Couldn't sleep last night, was tossing and turning until about 2:30. Happens when I've been relaxed for a while and then have to face back into work, I think it's like an undercurrent of mild anxiety. Still, I wasn't as wrecked as I expected getting up at 7, so that was nice.

Getting up at 7am is a lie in to me - I have to be at work at 7.30! Hope you manage to get some more sleep though.

1 hour ago, chaliepud said:

A really sad start to 2018 for my little family; we lost our old dog, Obi, today, aged 14 years and 2 months. He was a truly special boy, he didn't like many people but those he did like, he LOVED! He was hard work at times which meant we had to work hard with him, this only increased our bond further. He was loyal to the end and was still following me up and down stairs out of sheer determination and love this morning. He will be so so missed. :(:(:( 

So sorry to hear about the dog. I am sure he will be missed.

I was back to work yesterday. I came in for a few hours already at the weekend to catch up on the deep cleaning while no one else was there, but it felt like today was the first day back, I suppose because everyone else was there too. I was supposed to have been in on Friday, but I didn't get back to Gatwick until 11pm on the Thursday after having been to Iceland, so that wasn't going to happen! Time to start thinking about the next trip to Spain I suppose though and booking all those train tickets between the different cities I am visiting ....  

14 hours ago, chaliepud said:

I am so, so sorry to hear this :(! Losing a dog is so hard. I know Obi had a great life under your care and I wish you and your family strength in these difficult times :empathy:. We lost our first dog just after the new year, now 9 or 10 years ago (on January 3rd). I know Obi was very loved by you and your family and I will be thinking of you all :(. Big hugs.

19 hours ago, chaliepud said:

I'm so sorry to hear this Hayley. I know how awful it is to lose a dog, and I know Obi was well loved and, I'm certain, happy to the end of his days. Big hugs :hug:

Back in the swing of things now, Christmas and the New Year holidays seem so far away, and we have just started planning our holidays for this year and booking time off work.  Will be Dorset and Cornwall again but not sure where exactly yet, I just know I'm looking forward to them already!

I managed to get back to my sewing machine last weekend and realised it's been a year since I last used it.  I only did a bit of sewing some scraps together to make bigger pieces for a scrappy quilt that will be a long time in the making, and also made half a dozen blocks called economy blocks which are foundation pieced (sewing directly onto a paper pattern for accuracy then the paper removed at the end) for a quilt I started making a while back.

Yes hard to believe it was only a couple of weeks ago.  I'm thinking of hols as well, the trouble is you have to book up so early now to get the time off work and somewhere decent to stay as places get booked up so quickly (and I want to avoid the school holidays, especially for Cornwall).

I'm still slightly in holiday mode as I've booked next week off work. Purely just to have some downtime before my Masters starts at the end of the month. That will continue until the end of May, so any days off taken then would not be fully restful.

I've started making progress on my one real new year's resolution (is it a resolution if it's not difficult?) which I only realised earlier this week I wanted to do. Based off the extremely popular bullet journals around, my underwhelming experiences with various mindfulness and gratitude journal apps, and my knowledge that gratitude is the one area of mindfulness where I still really fall down, I have invented - the gratitude visual/bullet/sketchnotes journal! Yeah, it's a blend. So basically I'm going to fill a double spread once a week, one page will be a gratitude prompt (one of the best ones I've collected so far is 'where did you rest your head last night?' which got me thinking about warmth, comfort, security, having a partner, having a spare room when one of us is snoring or sick, having a roof over my head, having the money and job security to pay for it, and thinking about the homeless). The other page will be a sketchnotes/visual journal of a few things that week which I am grateful for. So I'll doodle and use doodles to represent these things alongside short descriptions (the 'bullet' element), and thus also work on my drawing skills.

I'll probably post pages of it in my book-and-game-reviews thread, if anyone is interested. Now to buy a sketchbook to do it all in!

I hope everyone is having a week, it’s cold and dreary here but the daffodils are poking through so that gives me a glimmer of hope that Spring isn’t too far away! :) 

Obviously we have been pretty sad over the loss of our old dog but we are coming out the other side now and thinking of all the good times we had with him, of which there were plenty! 

I had had a nice catch up with my best friend in Windsor today with a nice lunch in Bills and of course the obligatory trip to Waterstones. I did buy three new books, not because I needed them but because they make me feel happy! :) 

Went out for breakfast this morning, and had buttermilk pancakes with caramelised bananas and maple syrup, which was bloomin' delicious!  A couple of errands to run, and a stop off in the bookshop, and now back home to catch up with some more jobs around the house.

Not sure what we'll do tomorrow, but hoping to fit in some sewing and reading again this weekend. :)