Claire's Book List 2018

chesilbeach

It was lovely to see you and Janet on Monday Claire :hug: Happy Reading in 2018 and good luck with all your challenges. This blog is so super organised (as always) that it's inspired me to actually pull my finger out. I've reserved some spaces .. that's the best that can be hoped for but it's a start! :lol: 

I'm another one who loved Middlesex .. not that that's a recommendation but I hope you do too :D

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26/01/2018 at 10:54 AM, Nollaig said:

Middlesex is one I've been putting off for years, and I have no idea why!

It is a bit of a 'Mighty Tome' , but I found it a rewarding read ( as opposed to one of those ' that's 10 hours of my life I'm never getting back ' reads ;) ). :)

I'm trying to even out my nature reading across the year and not only read it over the summer for the Wainwright Prize, so I asked for some books for Christmas, and I've just read Hidden Nature by Alys Fowler.  If any one is a long term viewer of Gardeners' World, you might remember Alys from about 10 years ago, and she also hosted her own series, The Edible Garden.  In 2016, while still married to her husband, she realised she was gay and came to the difficult decision to end her marriage and brought about a dramatic change in her life.  Through this book she tells her story and how at the same time, she started her own project to traverse the canals of Birmingham using a pack raft (an inflatable kayak style boat) and uncover the plants and animals who lived there, hidden from everyday view.  

The book is a much a memoir as a nature book, but she is incredibly frank about the emotional journey she started when she made this momentous change in her life and the impact it has on her mental state, and how she coped - and didn't - throughout.  I loved reading this book, and found it incredibly engrossing, with an engaging style.

After getting the fourth in the series of the Invisible Library series by Genevieve Cogman, The Lost Plot from the local bookshop (who I suspect only got it in because I'd said I loved the series:giggle2:) I couldn't bear to put it to the bottom of the TBR pile, and I'm so pleased I didn't!  I don't want to say too much about the plot as it would spoil some earlier story lines from the series, but it took a bit of a different route from previous books, set in a different world which was currently in 1920s and Irene is based in New York.  It was another brilliantly entertaining read, but I have no idea when the next book is likely to be out, as this was only just published, but I think they're yearly, so it's going to be a while before I get to read the next instalment. :( 

January round-up

I've read twelve books this month, so a good start to the year.  Here's some stats:

• 10 female authors, 2 male authors
  • 3 hardback, 5 paperback, 3 kindle, 1 audiobook
  • 9 fiction (2 general fiction, 1 romcom, 3 middle grade, 2 fantasy, 1 crime)
  • 3 non-fiction (2 nature, 1 biography)
  • 1 Round Robin challenge
  • 1 Anita Brookner
  • 1 Mary Stewart
  • 1 M. C. Beaton
  • 3580 pages

Not sure if I'll remember to keep up the stats every month, but I'm going to try!

Battle of the Beetles by M. G. Leonard is the conclusion of the Beetle Boy middle grade trilogy.  Again, it's difficult to talk about a book that relies on having read earlier books and I don't want to plot spoil, but I can say I loved it.  All the children have agency and play their role in the story brilliantly.  What's fantastic is it's a children's story that has an environmental science theme, but is exciting and thrilling, taking Darkus and his friends on another quest to overcome their beetling nemesis and yet Leonard still manages to make the reader stop and think about the motives and reasoning of both the heroes and the villains, and that even the best of intentions can sometimes lead people to make terrible decisions that can cause harm to others.  

I hope that's vague enough to not spoil it for anyone who is reading the books!

I never read poetry.  I don't understand it.  I can't get my head around meter and non-rhyming lines and symbolism and all those things people talk about.

BUT, I'd seen Brian Bilston's comic verses re-tweeted on Twitter and thought they were witty and charming, and then those pesky readers on Backlisted read out his poem on refugees that is neither of these things, but is a powerful and compelling poem; you can read Refugees on his website here https://brianbilston.com/2016/03/23/refugees/ (and I strongly urge you to).  So, I took the plunge and bought the book of his poetry called You Took The Last Bus Home.  Now, apart from Refugees, almost every poem is light-hearted and quite often a play on words or formats, and most of it was really short - after all, you only get 140 characters on Twitter - and I chuckled my way through it quite happily.

Twenty-four Hours in the Life of a Woman by Stefan Zweig is a short novella and does exactly what it says on the tin!  The narrator is on holiday in France, and after a brief introduction we find out one of the women staying at the hotel has left her husband, and the other guests are speculating on what has happened.  This leads to one of the guests confiding her story to the narrator, telling the tale of an incident that happened to her over the course of one day earlier in her life which has stayed with her and affected her ever since.  The story is a pondering of morals and what society considers acceptable, and how we each react differently to situations, as well as the things we hide from each other.  An interesting little book, and having read The Post Office Girl a few years back, it was interesting to read a different style of story from Zweig.

Decided to read something a bit lighter before starting another non-fiction, so I read Wed Rabbit by Lissa Evans.  This is a middle grade book, and I was drawn to it, not only because the author is has been a guest on Backlisted a couple of times and I've seen her at a Q&A at a film screening too, but because of the cover (you can see it on the Waterstone's website here) which I thought was brilliant!  After a terrible accident, Fidge find herself thrown into the world of her sister's favourite picture book and along with her insufferable cousin Graham, she has to solve a mystery with the help of the Wimbly Woos :giggle2:  and get back to the real world.  The story is funny and thrilling and I can imagine if you're a littley it might even be a bit scary at times.  A good, fun story.  

My second book completed on the Round Robin challenge was The Year of Reading Dangerously by Andy Miller.  I know Andy from the Backlisted podcast, and had bought his book on the back of that, and was surprised to see quite so many of the books he read that have subsequently been discussed on the podcast.  

It's a memoir of his reading at a time in his life where he's realised that although he works in the publishing industry, he's got to the stage where he's got a healthy bookshelf at home, but that he's actually stopped reading for pleasure.  He initially decides to read a selection of books that he thinks he should have read, such as Anna Karenina and Pride and Prejudice, and he recounts the process, some books he loved and couldn't believe he'd never read them before, others are a struggle, until his wife suggests that he just reads 50 pages a day, and it's not long before he's doing just that and ticking the books off the list.  However, it's more than just a memoir, as he looks at what he does and doesn't like about the books and the authors, as well as some looks at publishing and family life and even covers books such as The Da Vinci Code (in fact, that's one of my favourite chapters ).

Glad to have read it, and even gladder that I can keep up with his ongoing reading life via the podcast!  Thanks @willoyd, pleased to have read this one at last.  

A Spoonful of Murder by Robin Stevens is the sixth full length novel in the Wells & Wong murder mysteries middle grade series, and I can't believe how this series goes from strength to strength.  This story finds the girls travelling to Hazel's family home in Hong Kong and becoming, yet again, involved with investigating a murder linked to a kidnapping, and this time, it's personal as the schoolgirl detectives must solve the case where Hazel herself is a suspect!  Another fantastic crime story from this series, and the excellent research into the time and place make this a cut above the average.  Thoroughly enjoyed it. :smile2: 

1 hour ago, chesilbeach said:

A Spoonful of Murder by Robin Stevens is the sixth full length novel in the Wells & Wong murder mysteries middle grade series, and I can't believe how this series goes from strength to strength.  This story finds the girls travelling to Hazel's family home in Hong Kong and becoming, yet again, involved with investigating a murder linked to a kidnapping, and this time, it's personal as the schoolgirl detectives must solve the case where Hazel herself is a suspect!  Another fantastic crime story from this series, and the excellent research into the time and place make this a cut above the average.  Thoroughly enjoyed it. :smile2: 

Ooh, that looks good. :D Is that the first one set in Hong Kong ? And would I need to read the rest of the series to enjoy that one ? :)

9 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

Ooh, that looks good. :D Is that the first one set in Hong Kong ? And would I need to read the rest of the series to enjoy that one ? :)

It is the first one set in Hong Kong. The first book is English boarding school, then an English country house, then the Orient Express, back to boarding school, then Christmas in Cambridge University before this one in Hong Kong.  I don’t think you need to have read them all, but I think you will get more out of it if you’re familiar with the characters development and back story up to this point, so I would recommend at least the first book just to understand the set up first.

53 minutes ago, chesilbeach said:

It is the first one set in Hong Kong. The first book is English boarding school, then an English country house, then the Orient Express, back to boarding school, then Christmas in Cambridge University before this one in Hong Kong.  I don’t think you need to have read them all, but I think you will get more out of it if you’re familiar with the characters development and back story up to this point, so I would recommend at least the first book just to understand the set up first.

Thanks Claire. :)  I`ve put them - and the Andy Miller book - in my ` get round to eventually` list. ;)

Janet gave me Corduroy by Adrian Bell for Christmas and I have to admit I'd never heard of it.  It's a farming memoir from the 1920's and Adrian Bell is the father of journalist turned MP, Martin Bell.  The paperback has been re-published by Slightly Foxed independent publishers and is actually the first of a trilogy of farming books he wrote.  I can't tell you why, but I love nature books set on farms, and agricultural books too.  I did an A level in Environmental Science about 15 years ago, and my favourite essay during that time was a history of British agriculture from 1945 - absolutely adored researching it, and got 100% for it to boot!

Anyway back to the book, and I have to say, it was a complete delight.  As a gentleman's son, Bell spent a year on an East Anglian farm as an apprentice farmer, learning all about the work of a farm and how to run it.  There's always a danger from books of this sort to be patronising but Corduroy is a completely charming and affection account of the authors time on the farm, and he never fails to give credit to Mr Colville who imparts his years of experience and knowledge to the young novice.  Tales of the local farm workers, the livestock and harvesting over the period of a year are beautifully recounted in this wonderful memoir.  I loved it, so thank you very much for introducing me to this author and his books Janet! :D 

I'd been waiting ages for The Explorer by Katherine Rundell to come out in paperback, and in the end gave up and treated myself to the hardback edition (and then the very next week, it came out in paperback :irked: ).  Why bring out children's books in hardback at all????!!!!  Humph.  Back to the book.

The Explorer starts with four young children on a plane journey flying over the Amazon, but when the pilot is taken ill during the flight and crashes into the canopy of the rainforest, the children find themselves alone and must fend for themselves trying to make the treacherous journey home.  What follows is an incredible adventure story, full of peril and danger, containing vivid descriptions of the flora, fauna and landscape, and the children's dangerous journey through the Amazon region.  It's a brilliant story and very deservedly won the Children's category of the Costa Book Awards earlier this year.  Fantastic children's book, and I think would make a perfect bedtime read-a-long book for 8-12 year olds.

I think I'm a bit late to the party, as I've only just read The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry.  It's taken me a few weeks, as I've been reading it between other books, but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.  A historical tale set in the late 19th century, start with the death of Cora's abusive husband, and after years of suffering at his hand, she is free to be the inquisitive and intelligent woman she promised as a child.  Setting off with her companion and son in tow, she heads to Essex to become the person to discover what she believes to be an unknown species of animal that the locals fear and call the Essex Serpent, which appears to be shrouded in mystery and folklore.  Introduced to the local vicar and his family through a mutual friend, they become firm friends, despite his belief that the serpent is nothing more than superstition and coincidence, and is defiantly trying to preach the word of God to his parishioners.  

The story that unfolds is absolutely captivating, and so beautifully written, I'm glad I took time to read slowly and savour the book, as I thought it was a wonderful read.  Perry evokes the period setting, in terms of not only the society and the role of women, the church and the medical profession.  It imbues the tale with a real sense of place of the coastal town, and provides real depth to the story with lots of brilliantly drawn characters from all walks of life.  An excellent book and worthy of all the praise that has been heaped on it.

On 24.1.2018 at 9:02 PM, chesilbeach said:

I’m not sure why I keep putting off Middlesex but it’s on my Round Robin Challenge list now, so no getting out of it now ;) 

Yes, there's no way out! ;):D   I do hope you will like it!

Happy reading in 2018, Claire! :readingtwo:  I loved going through the first page of your log, because it was so nicely organized, and it was also so very differently organized than anyone elses! :)

It was lovely to see you (and Kay and Alan) yesterday - I had a great time, as ever.  I can't believe we were together for four and a half hours - the time just whizzed by!  :)  Did you have a nice day off today?

I didn't buy any books yesterday! :D 

On 2/20/2018 at 6:22 PM, frankie said:

Yes, there's no way out! ;):D   I do hope you will like it!

Happy reading in 2018, Claire! :readingtwo:  I loved going through the first page of your log, because it was so nicely organized, and it was also so very differently organized than anyone elses! :)

Thanks @frankie!  I've been playing around with how I formatted my spreadsheet offline and I realised that it made sense to organise my TBR by genre to make it easier to see what my options were when picking my next book, and it transferred directly into my blog format here, so it was a win-win situation. :lol: 

On 2/20/2018 at 9:00 PM, Janet said:

It was lovely to see you (and Kay and Alan) yesterday - I had a great time, as ever.  I can't believe we were together for four and a half hours - the time just whizzed by!  :)  Did you have a nice day off today?

I didn't buy any books yesterday! :D 

It was brilliant to catch up with you all - I had a smashing day :smile2:

We didn't do much on Tuesday in the end, but did go and look at new computers for when I get my new laptop, but that was about it.  I did make the most of yesterday though, and got myself a whole bunch of new books, so although I resisted on Monday, I more than made up for it later! :lol: