Read-a-thon 2018

Athena

Awww that's a shame. Did you manage to finish it?

I read a couple of books yesterday:

A. S. King - Monica Never Shuts Up: A collection of short stories - disappointing.

Akiko Higashimura - Princess Jellyfish 2: Volume 2 (Kuragehime 3 & 4) - pretty good, different than the TV show though but makes sense due to amount of books left to read in the series, whereas the TV show ends much sooner

Konami Kanata - The Complete Chi's Sweet Home 2 (4-6): Part 2 - very cute

And I'm halfway through Matilda Tristam: Probably Nothing: A diary of not-your-average nine months - so far I'm finding it very interesting and am eager to read the rest of it. I feel for the author.

I don't plan on reading lots today because I have to rest, but I'm hoping to at least finish Probably Nothing and maybe read something else (or at least start another book).

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Athena said:

Awww that's a shame. Did you manage to finish it?

I did, though I won`t bother with the next in the series. :) I also got 1/3 of the way trhough Amanda M Lee`s Moonstone Bay 1 ( Witchin` USA ) before deciding I wasn`t that involved in the story, and I tried a couple of pages of the same author`s  first Avery Shaw Mystery ( didn`t click for me ). Then I read I Dream Of Twila, a Wicked Witches of the Midwest novella, which was very good ( it`s set in the past, with cousins Bay, Clove and Thistle as teenage witches alongside Twila, who`s babysitting them and Aunt Tillie, the mischief maker ). :)

13 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

I did, though I won`t bother with the next in the series. :) I also got 1/3 of the way trhough Amanda M Lee`s Moonstone Bay 1 ( Witchin` USA ) before deciding I wasn`t that involved in the story, and I tried a couple of pages of the same author`s  first Avery Shaw Mystery ( didn`t click for me ). Then I read I Dream Of Twila, a Wicked Witches of the Midwest novella, which was very good ( it`s set in the past, with cousins Bay, Clove and Thistle as teenage witches alongside Twila, who`s babysitting them and Aunt Tillie, the mischief maker ). :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the Wicked Witches of the Midwest novella :)! Shame you didn't enjoy the Moonstone Bay book :(.

I finished Probably Nothing yesterday (which was really good), but I didn't start another book. I was too exhausted.

Happy reading to all who plan to do some reading this weekend :readingtwo::)!

I'm never really at my laptop over the weekend so haven't posted updates but I have been reading. I'm including Thursday just because I read around 300 pages that day. So between Thursday and now I've started and finished The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle and The Folcroft Ghosts. I've also read a fifth of The Liar's Girl and am aiming to read as much as possible today.

4 hours ago, Nollaig said:

I'm never really at my laptop over the weekend so haven't posted updates but I have been reading. I'm including Thursday just because I read around 300 pages that day. So between Thursday and now I've started and finished The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle and The Folcroft Ghosts. I've also read a fifth of The Liar's Girl and am aiming to read as much as possible today.

I`ve seen good things about the Evelyn Hardcastle book. :)

I finished Whisker of a Doubt - Leighann Dobbs, which was a sweet read. Then I started The Disappearance of Mavis Woodstock - Rosalind Burgess & Patrica Obermeier Neuman, which is excellent so far. :D

In total, I've read 106 pages of 'Winter In Madrid' by C.J Sansom and that is where I'm giving up this book. The premise of is it good, but it's too political for me and I just felt bogged down. 

13 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

I finished Whisker of a Doubt - Leighann Dobbs, which was a sweet read. Then I started The Disappearance of Mavis Woodstock - Rosalind Burgess & Patrica Obermeier Neuman, which is excellent so far. :D

I'm glad you found a book you're liking :).

10 hours ago, karen.d said:

In total, I've read 106 pages of 'Winter In Madrid' by C.J Sansom and that is where I'm giving up this book. The premise of is it good, but it's too political for me and I just felt bogged down. 

Awww, what a shame it was not nice :(. I hope your next read will be better!

8 hours ago, Nollaig said:

I finished The Liar's Girl and am just over halfway through His Bloody Project, so I'm calling my tally at 3 and a half books since Thursday. Quite pleased with that!

Well done, that is impressive :D.

Yesterday I didn't read much for most of the day, but at the end of the day I read The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil by Stephen Collins, which was nice.

The next read-a-thon will take place the 4th, 5th and 6th of May.

1 hour ago, Athena said:

Yesterday I didn't read much for most of the day, but at the end of the day I read The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil by Stephen Collins, which was nice.

It's an interesting book isn't it! I like the art in it.

• 3 weeks later...

The next read-a-thon will take place next weekend, the 4th, 5th and 6th of May (next Friday, Saturday and Sunday). I'm going to be pretty busy on the 5th, so I'm planning to start on Thursday 3rd of May (for myself). I hope someone will be joining me for this May read-a-thon.

On 4/29/2018 at 4:21 PM, Athena said:

The next read-a-thon will take place next weekend, the 4th, 5th and 6th of May (next Friday, Saturday and Sunday). I'm going to be pretty busy on the 5th, so I'm planning to start on Thursday 3rd of May (for myself). I hope someone will be joining me for this May read-a-thon.

I'll be joining! I don't know which books I want to read though.

In the past few days I've read:

Konami Kanata - The Complete Chi's Sweet Home Part 3

Akiko Higashimura - Princess Jellyfish 3: Volume 3

Keiko Tobe - With the Light 3: Volume 3 (re-read)

Christel Land (ill. Shanaka Thisara) - The Superhero Brain: Explaining Autism to Empower Kids

Sarah Andersen - Sarah's Scribbles 1: Adulthood is a Myth

Sarah Andersen - Sarah's Scribbles 2: Big Mushy Happy Lump

Sarah Andersen - Sarah's Scribbles 3: Herding Cats

Tom Gauld - Mooncop

I also started and read the first story of Emily Carroll - Through the Woods.

EDIT: Somehow it posted while I was still typing stuff.

Edited by Athena

@Little Pixie I'm glad you're doing some nice reading too :)!

@karen.d, did you read anything?

On Sunday I finished off Through the Woods by Emily Carroll, but I didn't read anything else. All in all I didn't read as much as I'd hoped for this read-a-thon, but Saturday was a pretty busy day and I had stuff to do on the other days too. I haven't decided yet whether to continue with my unread read-a-thon reads or to save them for the next one and read a 'normal' 'text'book instead.

The next read-a-thon will take place on the 1rst, 2nd and 3rd of June.

4 hours ago, Athena said:

@karen.d, did you read anything?

I read the following:

Friday: 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'- Khaled Hosseini 38 pages DNF

'On The Other Side'- Carrie Hope Fletcher 84 Pages

Saturday: 'On The Other Side' Carrie Hope Fletcher- 121 pages

Sunday: 'On The Other Side'- Carrie Hope Fletcher 197 Pages (Finished)

'The Alchemist'Paulo Coelho 62 Pages

Total Pages read: 502 Pages

I also finished 'The Alchemist' today.

I enjoyed reading this weekend. Although after initially enjoying 'On the Other Side' by Carrie Hope Fletcher, it really started to unravel and by the end, I was really disappointed with this book. 

1 hour ago, Athena said:

You read a lot! I'm glad you had fun during the read-a-thon :). Shame about the DNF and the disappointing ending of On the Other Side. Did you like The Alchemist?

Yes, I did enjoy 'The Alchemist'. It was like an old fable. Have you ever read it?

I finished reading the graphic novel of Anya’s Ghost by Vera Brosgol, and really enjoyed it.

Stared reading Circe by Madeleine Miller, and this one is really good too. 

And have been listening to The Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth Peters (# 2 Amelia Peabody series). And this one is another joy to listen too. :D

10 minutes ago, Marie H said:

I finished reading the graphic novel of Anya’s Ghost by Vera Brosgol, and really enjoyed it.

I read that a few months ago and I liked it a lot too :).

I'm glad you had fun reading :). I've heard good things of Circe, I hope you enjoy that and The Curse of the Pharaohs also.