Read-a-thon 2018

Athena

I have yet another stoopid migraine now so won`t be reading as much as I`d like; I did finish off EE Holmes` Heart of the Rebellion last night, which was excellent, and also read a Charlotte MacLeod mystery - The Grub-and-Stakers Move a Mountain ( also v. good ). :) 

i`m hopefully reading a bit of the next Grub-and-Stakers book tonight . :)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Marie H said:

Oh dear, I only noticed that the read-a-thon was standing yesterday, so I only managed 1 hour! :D

Happy reading everyone this weekend :xmassmile:

You too! So far I've read 'A Christmas Carol' and 40 pages of 'The House on Cold Hill' by Peter James. I hope to finish this and start another book by the end of the read-a-thon.

On 12/7/2018 at 8:04 AM, karen.d said:

It's not a problem! At least I got a bit of reading done.

Yay!

On 12/7/2018 at 3:56 PM, Marie H said:

Oh dear, I only noticed that the read-a-thon was standing yesterday, so I only managed 1 hour! :D

Happy reading everyone this weekend :xmassmile:

Happy reading to you too Marie :grinhat:!

On 12/7/2018 at 11:22 PM, Little Pixie said:

I have yet another stoopid migraine now so won`t be reading as much as I`d like; I did finish off EE Holmes` Heart of the Rebellion last night, which was excellent, and also read a Charlotte MacLeod mystery - The Grub-and-Stakers Move a Mountain ( also v. good ). :) 

i`m hopefully reading a bit of the next Grub-and-Stakers book tonight . :)

I'm so sorry about your migraine :empathy::hug:. I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.

23 hours ago, karen.d said:

You too! So far I've read 'A Christmas Carol' and 40 pages of 'The House on Cold Hill' by Peter James. I hope to finish this and start another book by the end of the read-a-thon.

Well done! Did you like A Christmas Carol? I'm not a fan of Dickens at all but I did quite like A Christmas Carol.

20 hours ago, Brian. said:

I wasn't really planning on doing the readathon but I read 220 pages of Artemis by Andy Weir yesterday and finished it. Once I've put up the Christmas decorations I'm going to make a start on XPD by Len Deighton.

Well done! XPD sounds like an interesting title for a book, is it an abbreviation?

Yesterday I finished off Snow in Love, by reading the 3rd and 4th short stories in it (out of 4). I then started The Witch Boy by Molly Knox O/stertag and finished it this morning.

I wish everyone happy reading this Sunday!

23 minutes ago, Athena said:

Well done! XPD sounds like an interesting title for a book, is it an abbreviation?

XPD is the title of the book, I don't know if it has any other meaning, if it does it hasn't come up in the book yet after about 100 pages.

7 hours ago, Athena said:

Well done! Did you like A Christmas Carol? I'm not a fan of Dickens at all but I did quite like A Christmas Carol.

Yes, I really enjoyed it! I've nearly finished 'The House on Cold Hill' too. 

20 hours ago, karen.d said:

Yes, I really enjoyed it! I've nearly finished 'The House on Cold Hill' too. 

I'm glad you really enjoyed it :)!

4 hours ago, Brian. said:

XPD stand for expedient demise which is an order given when someone is to be killed by the security services in the book.

Thank you :)!

Yesterday I finished The Witch Boy by Molly Knox O/stertag (middle-grade fantasy graphic novel). I also read The Bride Was a Boy by Chii (a manga memoir about a woman who grew up as a boy). Overall I didn't get through as many things as I'd wanted this read-a-thon, but I did have lots of fun reading :).

I'll be making a 'Read-a-thon 2019' topic in a few weeks :) (just before January). I don't know if I'll do the read-a-thon in January, because it's pretty soon after December ends, and there are things I want to do (ie. setting up a new thread, making end-of-the-year videos for my BookTube channel etc). The read-a-thon would be on Fri-Sat-Sun 4, 5 and 6 January. I would personally prefer to have it the week after (11-12-13), but I don't know how anyone else feels about that? I can also make the Read-a-thon 2019 thread and we can discuss there if that is preferred.

Edited by Athena
Edited read-a-thon dates to be accurate.

2 minutes ago, Athena said:

I'll be making a 'Read-a-thon 2019' topic in a few weeks :) (just before January). I don't know if I'll do the read-a-thon in January, because it's pretty soon after December ends, and there are things I want to do (ie. setting up a new thread, making end-of-the-year videos for my BookTube channel etc). The read-a-thon would be on Fri-Sat-Sun 3, 4 and 5 January. I would personally prefer to have it the week after (11-12-13), but I don't know how anyone else feels about that? I can also make the Read-a-thon 2019 thread and we can discuss there if that is preferred.

I don't mind when we have the next read-a-thon. I'll try and participate as much as possible.

Here's what I read overall this weekend.

'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens 116 pages Finished

'The House on Cold Hill' by Peter James 257 pages Finished

'Master and Commander' by Patrick O'Brian 13 Pages 

Total Pages Read (from Thursday to Sunday): 386

:

1 hour ago, karen.d said:

Here's what I read overall this weekend.

'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens 116 pages Finished

'The House on Cold Hill' by Peter James 257 pages Finished

'Master and Commander' by Patrick O'Brian 13 Pages 

Total Pages Read (from Thursday to Sunday): 386

What excellent progress :D!! You finished 2 books!

1 hour ago, karen.d said:

I don't mind when we have the next read-a-thon. I'll try and participate as much as possible.

Whoops, I accidentally wrote down the wrong dates. It should be Fri-Sat-Sun 4, 5 and 6 January. I've edited my post above. Thanks, that's very nice of you, Karen :friends3:.

35 minutes ago, Athena said:

What excellent progress :D!! You finished 2 books!

Thanks! Well technically one and a half books as I started' The House on Cold Hill' before the read-a-thon. However, I read more than I thought!

On 09/12/2018 at 9:00 AM, Athena said:

I'm so sorry about your migraine :empathy::hug:. I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.

Thank you ! :D I did manage more reading than I thought ; I seem to have read the 5 books in Charlotte Macloed`s Grub-and-Stakers series, over 4 days. :)

It`s a fun series, though not as good as her Peter Shandy or Sarah Kelling & Max Bittersohn series. Taking place in a small town in Canada, it`s enjoyably silly ( though, I did have a bit of trouble with a couple of the characters - one of them speaks in a Scotch dialect and another using Regency vocabulary - it was sometimes a bit awkward to read ). :)

I might re-read the first Peter Shandy book this month ; a Xmas themed book called Rest You Merry. :D

On 12/10/2018 at 2:22 PM, karen.d said:

However, I read more than I thought!

That's always a good thing :)!

15 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Thank you ! :D I did manage more reading than I thought ; I seem to have read the 5 books in Charlotte Macloed`s Grub-and-Stakers series, over 4 days. :)

It`s a fun series, though not as good as her Peter Shandy or Sarah Kelling & Max Bittersohn series. Taking place in a small town in Canada, it`s enjoyably silly ( though, I did have a bit of trouble with a couple of the characters - one of them speaks in a Scotch dialect and another using Regency vocabulary - it was sometimes a bit awkward to read ). :)

I might re-read the first Peter Shandy book this month ; a Xmas themed book called Rest You Merry. :D

It's really nice you managed to read the 5 books in the series despite not feeling well :). I'm glad you enjoyed the series even if it wasn't as good as the other series you've read. I hope you enjoy Rest You Merry if you decide to re-read it :).

15 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

I`m happy to read-a-thon whenever`s good for everyone else, too. :)

Thank you, that sounds great :)!

On 11/12/2018 at 1:38 PM, Athena said:

It's really nice you managed to read the 5 books in the series despite not feeling well :). I'm glad you enjoyed the series even if it wasn't as good as the other series you've read. I hope you enjoy Rest You Merry if you decide to re-read it :).

Thanks Gaia :)

And a big thank you for doing these read-a-thons throughout the year ! :hug::clapping:

• Athena unpinned this topic