Read-a-thon 2018

Athena

I read the third Carole B Shmurak book, Death at Hilliard High ( v. good :) ) and started on Cherry Blossom Murder - Fran Pickering ( 5 chapters in - it`s whodunnit set in Japan ; I`m liking it, but maybe not as much Rei Shimura series by Sujata Massey. :)

So, 3 books and a bit for the May read-a-thon. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/7/2018 at 11:39 PM, Little Pixie said:

I read the third Carole B Shmurak book, Death at Hilliard High ( v. good :) ) and started on Cherry Blossom Murder - Fran Pickering ( 5 chapters in - it`s whodunnit set in Japan ; I`m liking it, but maybe not as much Rei Shimura series by Sujata Massey. :)

So, 3 books and a bit for the May read-a-thon. :)

I'm so sorry I didn't reply to this sooner! That's great progress :)!

The next read-a-thon will take place this upcoming weekend, the 1rst, 2nd and 3rd of June (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).

I started read-a-thoning last night ; I read the last 15% of EE Holmes` Portraits of the Forsaken ( excellent :D  ) , the last 60% of David Handler`s The Man who Dies Laughing ( pretty good ), and the first 40% of the second David Handler/ Stewart Hoagy mysteries, The Man who lived by Night. :)

I have a month left of my Kindle Unlimited thingy, so I`m hoping to cram lots of books in. :D

On 5/31/2018 at 6:45 PM, Little Pixie said:

I started read-a-thoning last night ; I read the last 15% of EE Holmes` Portraits of the Forsaken ( excellent :D  ) , the last 60% of David Handler`s The Man who Dies Laughing ( pretty good ), and the first 40% of the second David Handler/ Stewart Hoagy mysteries, The Man who lived by Night. :)

I have a month left of my Kindle Unlimited thingy, so I`m hoping to cram lots of books in. :D

Yay!! I hope you are able to read plenty more books before your Kindle Unlimited expires :).

On Thursday I read:

Akiko Higashimura - Princess Jellyfish 4: Volume 4 (Kuragehime 7 & 8)

Konami Kanata - The Complete Chi's Sweet Home 4 (10-12): Part 4

Keiko Tobe - With the Light 4: Volume 4 (re-read)

And on Friday I read:

Clamp - Chobits 1: Volume 1

Simone Arts and Tante Beun - Fashion Academy 1: Flamenco meets flowerpower (re-read)

I don't think I'll be able to do much reading today as I have a lot of things to do, but we'll see.

Happy read(-a-thon-)ing to anyone who's doing some bookish reading this weekend :).

7 hours ago, Athena said:

Yay!! I hope you are able to read plenty more books before your Kindle Unlimited expires :).

Gaia, you read lots ! :D

Lau Lou, congrats on finishing your Bronte book. :)

I`m now on Book 5 of David Handler`s Stewart Hoag series. :)

On 6/2/2018 at 1:27 PM, Lau_Lou said:

I loved it! thank you :)

I'm glad to hear that :).

19 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Gaia, you read lots ! :D

Lau Lou, congrats on finishing your Bronte book. :)

I`m now on Book 5 of David Handler`s Stewart Hoag series. :)

I'm glad your reading is going well too :)!!

Yesterday I read This One Summer by Jillian Tamaki and Mariko Tamaki, Honor Girl by Maggie Thrash and Fun Home by Alison Bechdel.

Your reading is going well :D!

Yesterday I read Mis(h)adra by Iasmin Omar Ata. I didn't read anything else though, I was pretty busy most of the day.

I had fun during the read-a-thon :).

The next read-a-thon will take place on the 6th, 7th and 8th of July (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). I might start on the Thursday again (the 5th), I'll have to see how things go.

• 1 month later...

The next read-a-thon is taking place this upcoming weekend. I'm looking forward to it! I'll be reading a few 'usual' reads (see this post from last months' read-a-thon for what are my usual reads), and then some graphic novels and memoirs. I also have a Dutch children's book that I recently found at a library sale, that I might read.

I'm not sure if anyone else is participating, but if you are, please feel free to post :).

Ooh, maybe I'll be able to join in for once because I don't currently have work or plans for the weekend.

I recently started rereading Arthur C Clarke's Collected Stories (950+ pages of small print), so maybe I could knock off a few stories. I'm entering every single story in the Contents tab of the Book Collector software as I go. I'm adding a synopsis for each story and a few words for a review, plus a rating and when I read it. This way I'll be able to look back in future and be reminded of what the stories are about and how much I liked them.

I also have loads of books on the go because I keep starting books and not finishing them, so maybe I could make some progress in a few books. :)

16 hours ago, Kylie said:

Ooh, maybe I'll be able to join in for once because I don't currently have work or plans for the weekend.

I'd be happy to have you join me :friends3:.

I recently started rereading Arthur C Clarke's Collected Stories (950+ pages of small print), so maybe I could knock off a few stories. I'm entering every single story in the Contents tab of the Book Collector software as I go. I'm adding a synopsis for each story and a few words for a review, plus a rating and when I read it. This way I'll be able to look back in future and be reminded of what the stories are about and how much I liked them.

That is such a great idea! I've read one short story collection by him (The Other Side of the Sky), but not yet the Collected Stories (I bought and read the former before I bought the Collected Stories). It's a great idea to add a synopsis and some notes for each story :).

I also have loads of books on the go because I keep starting books and not finishing them, so maybe I could make some progress in a few books. :)

I hope you will be able to make some progress :).

14 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Shall aim to finish of EJ Copperman`s Missing Head book, and a couple of Charlotte Macleod Peter Shandy books. :) 

I'm happy to have you join me :). I hope you enjoy reading your books :).

I have to work on Saturday, but I will definitely participate in this read-a-thon as much as I can. It's been quite some time since I've committed a whole weekend to reading. :D

Thursday:

Akiko Higashimura - Princess Jellyfish 5: Volume 5 (356 pages) (manga)

Keiko Tobe - WIth the Light 5: Volume 5 (re-read) (50 pages) (manga)

Friday:

Keiko Tobe - WIth the Light 5: Volume 5 (re-read) (467 pages) (manga)

Saturday:

CLAMP - Chobits 2: Volume 2 (176 pages) (manga)

Simone Arts and Tante Beun - Fashion Academy 2: Sports meets Safari (re-read) (134 pages) (illustrated children's book)

Lucy Knisley - Relish (173 pages) (graphic memoir)

Marjolein Snoeij (ill. Mariëlle van de Beek) - Heksie: Heks in de klas (61 pages) (illustrated children's book)

Jen Wang - The Prince and the Dressmaker (283 pages) (graphic novel)

I hope to read something today as well.

Has anyone else made any progress :)?

My progress yesterday:

Sunday:

Guy Delisle - Hostage (436 pages)

David B. - Epileptic (364 pages)

Isabel Greenberg - The Encyclopedia of Early Earth (173 pages)

The next read-a-thon takes place on the 3rd, 4th and 5th (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) of August.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of us are doing the read-a-thon but we're discussing it on the new FaceBook group.

I hope you will be able to do some reading this weekend :)!

Here's what I read so far since Thursday:

Akiko Higashimura - Princess Jellyfish Volume 6 (Kuragehime 11 & 12)

Keiko Tobe - With the Light Volume 6 (re-read)

CLAMP - Chobits Volume 3

Simone Arts and Tante Beun - Fashion Academy 3: Punk meets preppy

Lucy Knisley - An Age of License

Tony Ross - De kleine prinses: Ik wil lekker vies! (My Little Princess: I Don't Want to Wash My Hands)

Marjolein Hund and Jan Paul Schutten - Alles uit de kast

The first 3 are manga, Fashion Academy 3 is illustrated, An Age of License is a graphic travel memoir and the last 2 books I mentioned in the list are picture books.

I hope you can do some nice reading this weekend, Marie :)!