Read-a-thon 2018

Athena

On 26/01/2018 at 11:08 AM, karen.d said:

Hide contents

However, I did find Jane to behave like a bit of a victim. Ok, she had a bad upbringing, but at times (particularly the bit when she is shut in the room), she's a bit melodramatic.

Oh let's give the kid a break, she was only 10 after all, and had been driven to revolt through fear and desperation over the bullying of her cousin John. Poor little thing!:(

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving on with Jane Eyre a bit.

I felt she was remarkably ungrateful in landing such a cushy job as Thornfield appeared to be in the first instance. A pleasant senior in Mrs Fairfax, only one manageable pupil, her own comfortable room, 3 square meals a day, plenty of free time, the run of the house ... not bad at all for a first job!

Yet she admitted she was restless. Almost as if she was so used to struggling for survival she found the quiet life boring?  

In her place it wouldn't have bothered me - I'd have dived into Rochester's library and not come up for air till those hoofbeats thundered towards me ...!

2 hours ago, Booknutt said:

Moving on with Jane Eyre a bit.

I felt she was remarkably ungrateful in landing such a cushy job as Thornfield appeared to be in the first instance. A pleasant senior in Mrs Fairfax, only one manageable pupil, her own comfortable room, 3 square meals a day, plenty of free time, the run of the house ... not bad at all for a first job!

Yet she admitted she was restless. Almost as if she was so used to struggling for survival she found the quiet life boring?  

In her place it wouldn't have bothered me - I'd have dived into Rochester's library and not come up for air till those hoofbeats thundered towards me ...!

Spoiler

This is exactly the main problem I have with this novel at the moment! She was homeless, starving and penniless. Someone took her in, gave he a job and she still isn't happy!

Edited by karen.d

2 hours ago, Booknutt said:

Oh let's give the kid a break, she was only 10 after all, and had been driven to revolt through fear and desperation over the bullying of her cousin John. Poor little thing!:(

Spoiler

True, but I didn't like the fact that, to me, when everyone had typhus or whatever the disease, she was happy because she could skip lessons! She didn't worry about everyone getting sick and dying. That's why I think that she has a bit of a darker side that I'm not sure, that I like.

I spent all of yesterday and most of Saturday reading, something I haven't done for a long time. My book of choice was Hitman, by Bret Hart, a biography of his time as pro wrestler. It was superb and I just had to keep reading even when I should have been doing other things. I think I read about 800 pages across Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

23 hours ago, Nollaig said:

Over the weekend I read 220 pages of Friend Request by Laura Marshall, and finished it.

I also read about 184 pages of The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (it's one with locations on my Kindle so I'm estimating what 40% of is it in pages).

So totalling around 400 pages - happy with that! Hoping to finish The Hate U Give this evening, too.

Nice :D!!

5 hours ago, Brian. said:

I spent all of yesterday and most of Saturday reading, something I haven't done for a long time. My book of choice was Hitman, by Bret Hart, a biography of his time as pro wrestler. It was superb and I just had to keep reading even when I should have been doing other things. I think I read about 800 pages across Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Wow well done :D. I'm so glad you had fun reading :).

Jane Eyre again -

I think Jane's loveless and bullied childhood, coupled with her own independent nature resulted in her emotional isolation among the people she came to know after she left Gateshead - do we think? Her friendship with Helen on!y happened because Helen was kind to Jane, the first person, apart from  Bessie the servant, who ever had been.  That kindness prised open the chink Bessie had made in Jane's protective shell, and she knew a short spell of friendship before Helen died and was grieved for. Then we hear of no other friendships. The shell had closed up again (?) and she didn't allow herself another connection.

This is borne out with Jane's feelings for the motherly Mrs Fairfax and the "cute" Adele.

Experiencing more concern and companionship by one than a governess could usually expect, and admitting the charms of Adele, Jane is still distant in her assessment of her attachment to either. To borrow from a song "Love Hurts" so maybe she's wary of getting too close again? 

Coming closer to meeting with Rochester - I admired the way Jane set off to walk a couple of hours to Hay to post a letter as dusk was coming on, on a frosty day! Completely contrary to the first sentences of the book. Wouldn't have fancied a country walk at night by starlight myself, but her "restlessness" demanded such measures... and look what happened then!:o

1 hour ago, Booknutt said:

Jane Eyre again -

I think Jane's loveless and bullied childhood, coupled with her own independent nature resulted in her emotional isolation among the people she came to know after she left Gateshead - do we think?

Yes, i agree with this. It felt like Jane really didn't need people, friends etc, because she was treated so badly by people in her past. However, I still felt like she had a bit of a ungrateful side to her.

I have written some more thoughts on 'Jane Eyre' on my book blog on this forum, if you fancy reading this and talking about it on there.

• 3 weeks later...

The next read-a-thon takes place in the first weekend of March, which is not this current weekend (it's Saturday for me now), but the weekend after (2nd, 3rd, 4th of March). I'm planning to start read-a-thon-ing on Thursday (the 1rst of March) myself. I've got some graphic novels and shorter books planned to read (that I've recently bought).

Hopefully some people will be able to (and will want to) join me the weekend after this weekend :).

7 hours ago, Athena said:

The next read-a-thon takes place in the first weekend of March, which is not this current weekend (it's Saturday for me now), but the weekend after (2nd, 3rd, 4th of March). I'm planning to start read-a-thon-ing on Thursday (the 1rst of March) myself. I've got some graphic novels and shorter books planned to read (that I've recently bought).

Hopefully some people will be able to (and will want to) join me the weekend after this weekend :).

Yes, I think I will be able to take part!

I’ll definitely have plenty of reading time this week, with the horrible weather. 

Read 3 hours this afternoon finishing Crooked Heart by Lissa Evans - and it was a lovely book  :wub:

I have a couple of children’s books this weekend, starting with Uncle Montage’s Tales of Terror by Chris Priestley.

Here's what I read over the read-a-thon weekend:

Friday: 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood- 47 Pages

Saturday: 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood- 39 Pages

Sunday: 'The Handmaid's Tale' By Margaret Atwood- 96 pages

Total Pages read: 182 Pages 

I read the last few pages of 'The Handmaid's Tale' this morning.

Yay for finishing The Handmaid's Tale :)! Did you find it an interesting book? (I suppose you'll be writing a review? I'll be reading that when you post it :) ). I plan to read it some day.

I read:

Thursday:

Kathy Hoopmann - Alle Honden Hebben ADHD (All Dogs Have ADHD) (72 pages)
Kathy Hoopmann - Alle Katten Hebben Asperger (All Cats Have Asperger) (71 pages)
Kathy Hoopmann - Wat jij ziet en wat ik voel (Inside Asperger's: Looking Out) (72 pages)
Vera Bachrach and Bart Eysink Smeets - De Tostifabriek (230 pages)
Christine Kliphuis (ill. Helen van Vliet) - De Ziekenboeg Extra 5: De ADHD van André (64 pages)
Jacques Weijters - Zoeklicht Thriller: Doe wat de clown zegt (re-read) (36 pages)
Sophie Kinsella (ill. Marta Kissi) - Mummy Fairy and Me 1: Mummy Fairy and Me (168 pages)
Ichigo Takano - Orange 6: Orange: Future (191 pages)
Konami Kanata - The Complete Chi's Sweet Home 1 (1-3): Part 1 (479 pages)

Friday:
Jomny Sun - Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too (310 pages)

Saturday:
Tillie Walden - Spinning (395 pages)
Katie Green - Lighter Than My Shadow (I think about 1/2: so ~255 pages)

Sunday:

Katie Green - Lighter Than My Shadow (the other 1/2: so ~255 pages)
Akiko Higashimura - Princess Jellyfish 1 (1-2): Volume 1 (Kuragehima Volumes 1 & 2) (385 pages)

Overall I had an awesome reading day on Thursday, but on the other days I had some other things to do and I was also quite tired, so I didn't get so much reading done (in terms of how much time I spent reading).

Thanks for joining me this weekend, @karen.d :)!

The next read-a-thon will take place on the 6th, 7th and 8th of April. Personally I will only be able to do 2 out of those 3 days, but that's fine.

2 hours ago, Athena said:

Yay for finishing The Handmaid's Tale :)! Did you find it an interesting book? (I suppose you'll be writing a review? I'll be reading that when you post it :) ). I plan to read it some day.

Thanks for joining me this weekend, @karen.d :)!

I thought it was a brilliant read, I would recommend it. I will try and post a review of it on my book thread on this board, on Thursday.

I'm looking forward to the next read-a-thon already!

13 hours ago, karen.d said:

I thought it was a brilliant read, I would recommend it. I will try and post a review of it on my book thread on this board, on Thursday.

I'm looking forward to the next read-a-thon already!

Nice to hear it was such a great book :)! I look forward to your review.

Me too!

• 4 weeks later...

The April read-a-thon will take place next weekend, the 6th, 7th and 8th, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

I plan to participate, but I'm not sure yet on which days. I usually start on Thursday or Friday, but Friday I won't be able to do much reading. I have an important appointment in the afternoon, and I need to save my energy for it so I will need to rest in the morning rather than reading a lot. I haven't decided yet if I want to do Saturday-Sunday-Monday or Thursday-(Friday)-Saturday-Sunday (and then not read much on Friday). It might depend on what day I finish my previous book, whether that's Wednesday (and then I'll do Thursday-Saturday-Friday) or Thursday (and then I'll do Saturday-Sunday-Monday).

I hope someone will be joining me :).

I realise this past weekend would have been good for some, as I know some people have/had bank holidays due to Easter (ie. on Friday or Monday), but in the past people did not seem to like it much when the date got moved, and it was a bit too late that I thought about it anyway.

I've got a few books picked out so far, mainly graphic novels and manga (in two cases I'll be reading Volume 2 where in the March read-a-thon I read Volume 1).

8 hours ago, Athena said:

The April read-a-thon will take place next weekend, the 6th, 7th and 8th, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

I plan to participate, but I'm not sure yet on which days. I usually start on Thursday or Friday, but Friday I won't be able to do much reading. I have an important appointment in the afternoon, and I need to save my energy for it so I will need to rest in the morning rather than reading a lot. I haven't decided yet if I want to do Saturday-Sunday-Monday or Thursday-(Friday)-Saturday-Sunday (and then not read much on Friday). It might depend on what day I finish my previous book, whether that's Wednesday (and then I'll do Thursday-Saturday-Friday) or Thursday (and then I'll do Saturday-Sunday-Monday).

I hope someone will be joining me :).

I realise this past weekend would have been good for some, as I know some people have/had bank holidays due to Easter (ie. on Friday or Monday), but in the past people did not seem to like it much when the date got moved, and it was a bit too late that I thought about it anyway.

I've got a few books picked out so far, mainly graphic novels and manga (in two cases I'll be reading Volume 2 where in the March read-a-thon I read Volume 1).

I'll try and join you! I need a push to get back into reading!

1 hour ago, Athena said:

I finished my current read and am planning to start read-a-thon-ing tomorrow. Which is a bit early but oh well :P.

My migraine`s feeling much, much better, so hopefully I`ll join in with the reading tonight. :D

I`ve got the first 2 Charlie Rhodes books to read - I think the first is a crossover with the Wicked Witches of the Midwest series - and I have 2 Wicked Witches short stories/novellas still to read. Yay ! :D

I`m about 2/3 of the way trhough Amanda M Lee`s The Bigfoot Blunder. While I`m not enjoying it as much as her Wicked Witches books ( despite the crossover going on ) it`s readable. Unless something really exciting happens in the end though, I won`t bother with the 2nd of the series. :)