Read-a-thon 2018

Athena

6 hours ago, Athena said:

Well done! It sounds like it's been a very successful read-a-thon for you :).

Thanks ! I didn`t read much on Sunday, just a page and a half. :) I shall start thinking about what I want to read for the next read-a-thon. :D 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read three books during this read-a-thon, Handle with Care, Blue Coyote Motel, and Mercy. Each was about 400 pages, and I finished each at a pace of about one per day. So I did somewhere around 1200-1300 pages total over the three days and 400 pages per day. I could have done more, but I enjoyed this pace where I was more relaxed. 

17 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Thanks ! I didn`t read much on Sunday, just a page and a half. :) I shall start thinking about what I want to read for the next read-a-thon. :D 

:D I hope you'll enjoy the next one too!

12 hours ago, BSchultz19 said:

I read three books during this read-a-thon, Handle with Care, Blue Coyote Motel, and Mercy. Each was about 400 pages, and I finished each at a pace of about one per day. So I did somewhere around 1200-1300 pages total over the three days and 400 pages per day. I could have done more, but I enjoyed this pace where I was more relaxed. 

Wow, that is amazing! I'm glad you felt relaxed during the read-a-thon :).

• 3 weeks later...

Back to Jane Eyre again. 

What do we think of the "hero" children in this book? Helen, friend of Jane, with her patience and acceptance of suffering, is quite a contrast to Jane herself whose spirited nature helped her survive her awful Aunt and cousins, and will help her through her years at Lowood. 

On the whole, children were little adults back then. Only the kids of the rich had the luxury of a few years to play, and to enjoy being young. All the others worked in some fashion as soon as they were able! The pupils of the charity school may be seen as "fortunate" to receive an education at all, but life isn't easy for them there. 

For a child like Jane being submissive, meek and obedient is the challenge. Helen is just the opposite. Which one would survive best out in the world back then though?

2 hours ago, Booknutt said:

Back to Jane Eyre again. 

What do we think of the "hero" children in this book? Helen, friend of Jane, with her patience and acceptance of suffering, is quite a contrast to Jane herself whose spirited nature helped her survive her awful Aunt and cousins, and will help her through her years at Lowood. 

On the whole, children were little adults back then. Only the kids of the rich had the luxury of a few years to play, and to enjoy being young. All the others worked in some fashion as soon as they were able! The pupils of the charity school may be seen as "fortunate" to receive an education at all, but life isn't easy for them there. 

For a child like Jane being submissive, meek and obedient is the challenge. Helen is just the opposite. Which one would survive best out in the world back then though?

Helen would use her charms to get what she wants, that's why she would probably do better than Jane.

Spoiler

However, I did find Jane to behave like a bit of a victim. Ok, she had a bad upbringing, but at times (particularly the bit when she is shut in the room), she's a bit melodramatic.

This is just a heads-up that the February read-a-thon will take place this upcoming weekend, on Friday, Saturday, Sunday the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of February. Is anyone thinking of joining me?

For myself, I might start on Thursday, depending on how things go and what I feel like doing. I went to my bookshelves and got quite a few shorter books out, so I have a bit of a range of books / genres to choose from when I start read-a-thon-ing. But I'm also worried about getting burned out on reading, so I'm going to try to also pace myself a bit and hopefully not get too burned out on reading.

7 hours ago, Athena said:

This is just a heads-up that the February read-a-thon will take place this upcoming weekend, on Friday, Saturday, Sunday the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of February. Is anyone thinking of joining me?

For myself, I might start on Thursday, depending on how things go and what I feel like doing. I went to my bookshelves and got quite a few shorter books out, so I have a bit of a range of books / genres to choose from when I start read-a-thon-ing. But I'm also worried about getting burned out on reading, so I'm going to try to also pace myself a bit and hopefully not get too burned out on reading.

-I'll try to join, hopefully I won't do my back in, like I did last read-a-thon :roll:

I read Joanne Fluke`s Wedding Cake Murder last night ( 372 pages ) ; better than I thought it would be ( I thought the series has gone off the boil a bit lately, but this one was a fun read ). Luckily I didn`t look at the blurb on the back cover till I finished the book, `cos my edition actually gives away who gets bumped off ! :o

What a shame there are spoilers on the backs of the books :o! That is not nice at all!

I'm glad you found the books a fun read though :).

18 hours ago, Nollaig said:

I might try and take part a little, I've been doing a good bit of reading recently and still in the mood to keep that up.

I hope you have some fun this weekend :).

On Friday I read Foeksia's Miniheksenstreken by Paul van Loon (60 pages), and I re-read The Wheel of Time Graphic Novels: The Eye of the World 1: Volume 1 (by Robert Jordan, Chuck Dixon, Chase Conley, Nicholas Chapuis, Bill Tortolini) (240 pages). Yesterday I re-read Volumes 2, 3 and 4 of those graphic novels, (176, 176 and 173 pages respectively). Today I hope to re-read Volumes 5 and 6.

15 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Just finished Christmas Caramel Murder, another fun read. And yes, the murder victim was given away on the back cover again. :o

About to start on Banana Cream Pie Murder. :)

I love the names of these books! Who are they by?

On 2/3/2018 at 10:18 AM, Brian. said:

I had a quiet day at work yesterday so I managed to read a fair bit. I finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, approximately 200 pages and then probably another 100 or so pages of War and Peace.

I'm glad you managed to do some nice reading and had fun :).

Yesterday I re-read Volumes 5 and 6 (of The Eye of the World graphic novels) (176 and 173 pages respectively). Then I read the first four Baby-Sitters Club graphic novels (the first one was a re-read; 185, 143, 155 and 170 pages respectively), by Ann M. Martin, Raina Telgemeier, Braden Lamb. I'm hoping to read the 5th one today.

Happy reading today to anyone who reads today :readingtwo:!

I finished the Joanne Fluke books ; I ended up liking them far more than the past couple of books in the series ( I think she`s wrtitten herself out of a slump, tbh ), and am relaly looking forward to the next one - I gert the paperbacks, so I have a year or so to wait. :)

I`m 90 pages into Ada Madison`s The Quotient of Murder, a cosy mystery with a maths professor in a small town near Boston. :)

I hope you enjoy The Quotient of Murder :)!

Yesterday (Sunday) I read the 5th Baby-Sitters Club graphic novel, as well as a few graphic novels from Raina Telgemeier: Smile 1: Smile (re-read), Smile 2: Sisters, Drama, and Ghosts.

I hope those who did the read-a-thon, had fun reading :). Feel free to post about your experiences, if you want to :).

The next read-a-thon will take place on 2nd, 3rd and the 4th of March (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).

Here's how my read-a-thon shaped up:

Friday: 15 minutes of 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley (Being broadcast in installments on BBC Radio at the moment)

' Jane Eyre' by Charlotte Bronte- 47 Pages

Saturday: 15 minutes of 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley (audio)

'Jane Eyre' by Charlotte Bronte- 41 pages

Sunday: 'Jane Eyre' by Charlotte Bronte- 56 pages

Total amount read: 144 pages and 30 minutes listening to the audio book.

Not a massive amount, but I enjoyed it (well actually I'm skipping bits of 'Jane Eyre' , so that I can finish this!).

Over the weekend I read 220 pages of Friend Request by Laura Marshall, and finished it.

I also read about 184 pages of The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (it's one with locations on my Kindle so I'm estimating what 40% of is it in pages).

So totalling around 400 pages - happy with that! Hoping to finish The Hate U Give this evening, too.