Read-a-thon 2018

Athena

It'll be 2018 soon, so here is the schedule for the read-a-thons in 2018 :).

General rule: The read-a-thons take place on the first time that a consecutive Friday, Saturday and Sunday all fall in the same month.

The dates for 2018 are (Friday, Saturday, Sunday):

January: 5th, 6th, 7th

February: 2rd, 3th, 4th

March: 2rd, 3th, 4th

April: 6th, 7th, 8th

May: 4th, 5th, 6th

June: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

July: 6th, 7th, 8th

August: 3rd, 4th, 5th

September: 7th, 8th, 9th

October: 5th, 6th, 7th

November: 2rd, 3th, 4th

December: 7th, 8th, 9th

The aim is to read during these days (preferably books since we're the Book Club Forum). There are usually no specific themes or things like that, you can read whichever book(s) you like. Some people have recently expressed interest in a group read, so if you agree, let's discuss it in this thread about what people would like to read together :). Aside from that, this thread exists to discuss our plans for and progress during the read-a-thons, to post about what you're reading or your progress, etc.

Happy reading and read-a-thon-ing in 2018 :readingtwo:!! I'm excited :D.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, my vote for the group read idea, Athena. Nothing too "heavy" though. I'd be looking for reading for relaxation, not actual study.

For suggestions  - a  Poldark novel or two? Or likewise Outlander?. Or in lighter classics the Bronte novels, maybe? There's so much to choose from! :D

Happy New years reading to All.

On 12/25/2017 at 8:20 PM, Booknutt said:

Yes, my vote for the group read idea, Athena. Nothing too "heavy" though. I'd be looking for reading for relaxation, not actual study.

For suggestions  - a  Poldark novel or two? Or likewise Outlander?. Or in lighter classics the Bronte novels, maybe? There's so much to choose from! :D

Happy New years reading to All.

I've got some Bronte novels on my TBR list, so I'd be up for a Bronte group read!

The read-a-thon is this weekend. I don't know yet what I'll feel in the mood to read for the read-a-thon, but I'm just going to see what I feel like reading, after I finish my current read (which is Loes den Hollander - Voorbedacht). So I won't be doing any group read, but if you three want to do a group read, please feel free to discuss it here if you want to :). I wish everyone who participates fun during the read-a-thon :):readingtwo:.

On 1/2/2018 at 7:35 AM, Lara said:

A group read sounds lovely! 

Well anyone that's interested, we could read 'Jane Eyre'? What do you think?

I'm currently doing the 'Year Round Robin Challenge' on this forum and 'Jane Eyre' is one of the books I have been challenged to read. So it would fit for the read-a-thon and that challenge too!

I have a bunch of comics to read, so I might use the read-a-thon for that :D And I have a book nearly finished, I'll save that for the weekend too and maybe focus on Bored of the Rings this evening. (Seriously, I love the LOTR films, but how did anyone ever find the amazing story underneath all the endless prose about walking?!)

I've got a few books ready to be read and I have made a start on reading War and Peace. The original intention was to read a chapter a day but I could use this opportunity to made some better headway into it.

1 hour ago, Brian. said:

I've got a few books ready to be read and I have made a start on reading War and Peace. The original intention was to read a chapter a day but I could use this opportunity to made some better headway into it.

Good luck with 'War and Peace'! I've had this sitting on my book shelves for quite a while now and I've been too scared to tackle this. :hide: I hope you enjoy it.

15 hours ago, karen.d said:

Well anyone that's interested, we could read 'Jane Eyre'? What do you think?

I'm currently doing the 'Year Round Robin Challenge' on this forum and 'Jane Eyre' is one of the books I have been challenged to read. So it would fit for the read-a-thon and that challenge too!

Jane Eyre is a great idea. I'm down. Anyone else interested? 

8 hours ago, Lara said:

Jane Eyre is a great idea. I'm down. Anyone else interested? 

I'm just about to start 'Jane Eyre' and I will also be flitting between this and 'The Night Circus' during the read-a-thon.

I'm happy with Jane Eyre for the Group read. 

Have done a little already, and it's been ages since I last read it, so it'll be great to discuss it with other members.

The lead into the story is always my "unfavourite" bit, as it deals with Jane's  unhappy childhood experience in her Aunts house,  and that nasty cousin John and his sisters. She was only there because her uncle took her in, and then he died, and left her at the mercy of his wife and family. What a fate!  

When her Aunt decides she will go to school, Jane is so happy planning all the things she'll do there. Poor little mite - she's got no idea ...:(

I hope those of you who are reading Jane Eyre, are liking the book. I read it some years ago and liked it.

I read two books yesterday, I read Dylan Haegens Stripboek by Dylan Haegens, Marit Brugman and Rick Vermeulen (64 pages) and I read Anne Frank, Ari Folman, David Polonsky - Het Achterhuis (graphic novel of Anne Frank's Diary) (159 pages).

I'm not sure if I'll be doing any reading today, I feel quite tired from the errands / things from this morning.

Edited by Athena

19 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Well done, Gaia ! :)

I managed three books yesterday, go me ! :D I read Michael Innes - There came both mist and snow ( the last 204 pages ) , Leighann Dobbs - Probable paws ( 306 pages ), Spell disaster ( 256 pages). :)

Wow, that is amazing :o:D!! Did Probable Paws involve a cat?

Yesterday I read one book, Megan McDonald - Fleur Humeur 5: Fleur Humeur wordt dokter (Judy Moody 5: Doctor Judy Moody) (159 pages). I haven't read in any book today yet, and I'm not sure yet if I will. But that's okay.

1 hour ago, Athena said:

Wow, that is amazing :o:D!! Did Probable Paws involve a cat?

Good guess. ;) 

Yesterday`s books : Maxwell March - The man of Dangerous Secrets ( 304 pages ), Maxwell March - Rogues` Holiday ( 264 pages ) and Leighann Dobbs - Nothing to Croak about ( 283 pages ). :) 

Maxwell March is a pseudonym for Margery Allingham, who wrote the Campion books. 

21 hours ago, Brian. said:

I read one book yesterday, The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis, 360 pages. Nothing so far yet today but I am planning to do some more reading this evening.

Wow, well done :). I hope you had fun.

20 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Yesterday`s books : Maxwell March - The man of Dangerous Secrets ( 304 pages ), Maxwell March - Rogues` Holiday ( 264 pages ) and Leighann Dobbs - Nothing to Croak about ( 283 pages ). :) 

Maxwell March is a pseudonym for Margery Allingham, who wrote the Campion books. 

Well done! It sounds like it's been a very successful read-a-thon for you :).

I didn't read much yesterday, but that's okay. How did the rest of you do during this read-a-thon (those who haven't replied in a few days)?

The next read-a-thon will take place on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of February (2018).

I didn't do too badly I think this read-a-thon.

Friday: 'The Night Circus' by Erin Morgenstern 212 pages

Saturday: 'The Night Circus' by Erin Morgenstern 29 Pages (Finished)

'Jane Eyre' Charlotte Bronte (Audiobook) The equivalent of 49 pages

Sunday 'Jane Eyre' by Charlotte Bronte equivalent of 13 pages

Total Page read: 303 Pages

I had to revert to listening to the audiobook of 'Jane Eyre' as I did my back in. I hope that's not considered cheating!

Well done Karen :)!

1 minute ago, karen.d said:

I had to revert to listening to the audiobook of 'Jane Eyre' as I did my back in. I hope that's not considered cheating!

Of course not! I believe audiobooks are just as valid a form of reading as a paperbook or e-book :) (even if they aren't my kind of thing).

Just now, Nollaig said:

I didn't do the read-a-thon properly, but I read a comic collection (6 issues), finished another book (Let The Dead Speak by Jane Casey) and read about a fifth of The Tin Man by Sarah Winman.

Well done, I hope you had fun :).