BCF Book Awards 2017

chaliepud

Happy Christmas and end of the BCF year everyone! :cheers:I always look forward to this post and getting some good recommendations for new reads. (Before I set myself a New Years resolution to not buy any new books in 2018! :P Ha! That normally lasts a month at most...:blush:

So here we go!! I'll be back to do mine later. :) 

Favourite read?

Favourite author?

Most read author?

Favourite book cover?

Book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)?

Book that most disappointed you?

Funniest book?

Favourite literary character?

Favourite children's book?

Favourite classic?

Favourite non-fiction book?

Favourite biography?

Favourite collection of short stories?

Favourite poetry collection?

Favourite illustrated book?

Favourite publisher?

Favourite audiobook?

Favourite re-read?

I always enjoy this topic, too.  Here are my answers for the year:

Favourite read? - Q's Legacy by Helene Hanff.

Favourite author? - Patrick Suskind.

Most read author? - It's a tie between Agatha Christie and Patrick Suskind, at three apiece.

Favourite book cover? - The Fantastic World of Kamtellar by R. Chetwynd-Hayes. It brings back happy memories of the first time I read it in my teens.

Kamtellar.JPG.05d00dea17f98b19b51c6d7aa6eed3ab.JPG

Book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)? - N/A

- Whiskey Galore by Compton Mackenzie. It was horribly unfunny.

Funniest book?
 - Not Whiskey Galore, that's for sure! I'm going for Up Against It by Joe Orton, a film script written for, but rejected by, The Beatles.

Favourite literary character? - Hercule Poirot, with his wonderful, plural, moustaches.

- N/A

Favourite classic?
 - Where Angels Fear to Tread by E.M. Forster.

- Crystal Skulls by Judy Hall.

Favourite biography?
 - N/A

Favourite collection of short stories? - The Fantastic World of Kamtellar by R. Chetwynd-Hayes.

- N/A

- The Arrival by Shaun Tan.

Favourite publisher?
 - N/A

Favourite audiobook? - N/A

Favourite re-read? - The Fantastic World of Kamtellar by R. Chetwynd-Hayes.

Favourite read?  Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner

Favourite author? Jodi Taylor

Most read author? Jodi Taylor/Elly Griffiths (2 each)

Favourite book cover? The Phantom Tree by Nicola Cornick

Book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)? - The Book Thief by Marcus Zuzak

- The Book Thief

Funniest book?
 A Second Chance by Jodi Taylor

Favourite literary character? Ruth Galloway

- N/A

Favourite classic?
 N/A

Nigel - My Family and other Dogs by Monty Don

Favourite biography?
- N/A

Favourite collection of short stories? Murder on Christmas Eve

N/A

N/A

Favourite publisher?
N/A

Favourite audiobook? N/A

Favourite re-read? N/A

Edited by Madeleine

This is actually quite difficult for me to fill in this year as there have been so many great books, if anything more non fiction than fiction this year. It has been impossible in some instances to list just one.    

Favourite read? A Lullaby for No Man's Vuk by Ksenija Popovich, The Good People by Hannah Kent (also see favourite non fiction books)    

Favourite author? Yrsa Sigurdadottir

Most read author? Yrsa Sigurdadottir

Favourite book cover? The Good Immigrant by Nikesh Shukla

Book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)? None

Book that most disappointed you? Behind Closed Doors by Kathryn Croft

Funniest book? None

Favourite literary character? Ari Thor from the Dark Iceland series by Ragnar Jonasson

Favourite children's book? N/A

Favourite classic? Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Favourite non-fiction book? Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond, South of Forgiveness by Thordis Elva and Tom Savage, Brexit: What the Hell Happens Now by Ian Dunt  

Favourite biography? Free Radical by Vince Cable

Favourite collection of short stories? Voices: Short Stories from the Seychelle Islands by Glynn Burridge

Favourite poetry collection? N/A

Favourite illustrated book? N/A

Favourite publisher? N/A

Favourite audiobook? N/A

Favourite re-read? N/A

On 19/12/2017 at 6:53 PM, Onion Budgie said:

- Whiskey Galore by Compton Mackenzie. It was horribly unfunny.

Funniest book?
 - Not Whiskey Galore, that's for sure! I'm going for Up Against It by Joe Orton, a film script written for, but rejected by, The Beatles.

I am sad to say, I so agree with you (not quite the most disappointing for me, but on the short list).  The original film has long been amongst my half dozen or so favourites, and I read the book whilst in the Outer Hebrides this year.  What a let down!  (The more recent film was OK, but not a patch on that original one).

Edited by willoyd

Favourite readTo The Bright Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey. My only new read six star novel this year, and fully worthy of 'favourite' status.  Even so, it was closely challenged by a pack of nature books, led by Adam Nicolson's The Seabird's Cry.

Favourite author:  Adam Nicolson, who wrote two of the best books of the year (The Seabird's Cry and Sea Room).

Most read author:  Georges Simenon, with 5 books.  Also a very close contender for favourite author of the year, as he always is.

Favourite book cover: Down the River by HE Bates.  The covers of pretty much all the Littler Toller Nature Classics are attractive, but this one is blessed with a gorgeous woodcut by the wonderful Agnes Miller Parker, whose work decorates the pages of the book as well.

image.png.3ce11da8382dfd575ab4af1396b6f639.png

Book you abandoned:  Two Brothers by Ben Elton.  He shouts at you on stage, and he shouts at you in his books.  Awful.

Book that most disappointed you: Jacob's Room is Full of Books by Susan Hill
, which completely failed to live up to its precursor, Howards End is on the Landing.  Whisky Galore was a close challenger though, such a let down compared to the superb 1949 film.

Funniest book: More About Paddington - or indeed any of the Paddington books. Pure joy, and genuine laugh out loud material.

Favourite literary character:  Maigret, Paddington, Stephen Maturin are all perennial favourites, but the one who grabbed me most this year was Ruby Thewes in Cold Mountain.  She's some survivor and such a powerful character.

Favourite children's book: Flood Warning by Paul Berna.  A virtually unknown gem that deserves to be a classic.
  Closely challenged by my favourite reread of the year (these two were are interchangeable, as strictly speaking this is a reread as well, even if the last read was around 45 years ago!).

Favourite classic?  I can't separate The Old Wives' Tale by Arnold Bennett, and George Eliot's The Mill on the Floss.  Both big, meaty, gripping and beautifully written.

Favourite non-fiction book  The Seabird's Cry by Adam Nicolson.

Favourite biography:  Nelson, The Pursuit of Victory by Roger Knight.  I'm still reading this, but its going to obviously lead the way. Packs a lot of information in whilst remaining eminently readable.

Favourite collection of short stories I'm not a fan of short stories, but the three in A Maigret's Christmas completely lived up to Simenon's always high standards, especially in the atmosphere generated.  The last, and shortest, was almost the best on this front.

Favourite poetry collection I didn't read any poetry book fully, but I enjoyed occasionally dipping into Housman's A Shropshire Lad.

Favourite illustrated book I come back to Agnes Miller Parker's woodcuts in Down the River, although I also enjoyed Keeping's illustrations in Flood Warning and Bruce Pearson's drawings in A Sparrowhawk's Lament.

Favourite publisher:  Surprising myself (I usually prefer the smaller publishers), I'm going to say Penguin.  I love their Maigret series, and I'm starting to get into their Penguin Monarchs series, which includes some of the best history writers around. 

Favourite audiobook  Listened to my first one in a while this year, and what a good one it was too:  Gilead by Marilynne Robinson.  It's the reader who makes or breaks an audiobook, and the gentle but resonant tones of Tim Jerome are just perfect.

Favourite re-read  Until the very last minute this was Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, which comfortably confirmed its six stars.  However, in the last few days of the year I reread Winter Holiday, Arthur Ransome's fourth Swallows and Amazons book, for the first time in over 30 years, and just loved it all over again, confirming itself as one of my favourites in the series.  It's the perfect children's classic, although modern day children may now find it hard to relate to activities that they would be 'protected' from doing. As an adult who had those opportunities, it's just a wonderful story, told in Ransome's usual unfussy and empathetic style.

Edited by willoyd

I finally had 15 minutes to sit down and think about this, some notable mentions though that didn't fit into any of the categories: Time and Time Again by Ben Elton, Salt to the Sea by Ruth Sepetys and Mischling by Affinity Konar.

Favourite read? Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave

Favourite author? Chris Cleave

Most read author? Margaret Atwood

Favourite book cover? Midwives by Chris Bohjalian

Dawn by Elie Wiesel (not a patch on 'Night')

Favourite literary character? Stephen from The Boy on the Bridge by M.R.Carey

Favourite classic?
 The closest thing to a (modern) classic was The Handmaid's Tale by Maraget Atwood

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

The Penguin Book of First World War Poetry

Favourite publisher?
 Vintage/Sceptre

Favourite Read:- Animal Farm by George Orwell

Favourite Author:- George Orwell & Mark Haddon

Most Read Author:- Charles Perrault and Hans Christian Anderson with 5 each

Favourite Book Cover:- Heroic Measures by Jill Cement

Book That Most Disappointed you:- A Tiny Bit Marvolous by Dawn French

Favourite Literary Character:- Christopher Boone created by Mark Haddon (The curious Incident Of The Dog In The NightTime)

Favourite Classic:- Animal Farm by George Orwell

Favourite Non-Fiction Book :- N/A

Favourite Poetry Collection:- N/A

Favourite Publisher:- N/A

Favourite read? Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb

Favourite author? Robin Hobb or the legendary Terry Pratchett

Most read author? Stephen King

Favourite book cover?  Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

Book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)? N/A

Book that most disappointed you? End of Watch by Stephen King

Funniest book? Toss up between  Hurrah For Gin & The Unmumsy Mum

Favourite children's book? The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett

Favourite classic? Swallows & Amazons by Arthur Ransome

Favourite non-fiction book? A Short History of Everything by Bill Bryson

Favourite biography? N/A

Favourite collection of short stories? N/A

Favourite poetry collection? N/A

Favourite illustrated book? Hurrah for Gin (even though they were only stick figures :giggle2: )

Favourite publisher? Hodder possibly (as that's the current one I'm reading and I don't normally take note)

Favourite audiobook? N/A

Favourite re-read? Wizard & Glass by Stephen King

Favourite read?
This is so difficult.  I've actually filled out the answers to all the other questions before this one, but after deliberating it a bit longer, I've gone for The Good Immigrant edited by Nikesh Shukla, because it made me laugh, made me cry, made me angry but most importantly, made me think.

Favourite author?
For this year only, I think I'd have to go with Katherine Mansfield this year, as I've read some of her short stories in two different books this year, and they blew me away.  Admittedly, I'd have to put my all time favourite in a close second place, as I've read two Ali Smith books and saw her again in person, but I thought I'd make a break from tradition and pick someone else for a change. :lol: 

Most read author?
For quite a few years in a row, it's been M. C. Beaton and this year was no exception.  I've been reading my way through all her Regency and Edwardian romcoms, and I've done another batch this year.  This will probably be my last year with her in this category though, as I only have four left to go.

Favourite book cover?
This has to go to Storm In A Teacup by Helen Czerski, a book about everyday physics, but with an absolutely stunning hard cover.

Book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)?
I don't think I've abandoned any books this year.  I can't find any on my book list and I haven't come across any on the shelves either, but if I remember one, I'll add it in later!

Without doubt, it has to be Lincoln in the Bardo by George Sanders.  I know lots of people who thought it was excellent and it did win the Man Booker Prize this year, but I found it a real chore to read.  I didn't like the mixture of articles and speech, and the constant switching of voices between the various ghosts.

Funniest book? 
Probably Simply The Quest by Maz Evans.  The second in a series of middle grade books about a young boy who is caring for a mother with dementia who comes into contact with the Greek Gods in modern day England, and was just brilliant.  The author has written it with adults as well as children in mind, because as a parent she always wants to enjoy the books she reads with her children, and there are some fantastic jokes for all in here.  My favourite was a restaurant critic called R. A. C. Bill (as opposed to the real life critic A. A. Gill). :giggle2:

I rarely choose a male character as I usually identify more with female characters, but this year, I'm actually going to go with Eamonn from Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie.  The book is a modern retelling of the Greek play Antigone by Sophocles, but I thought in Home Fire, Eamonn was my favourite character in the book.

I've read a lot of middle grade this year, but my favourite was definitely Letters From The Lighthouse by Emma Carroll.  A second world war evacuee story that was just wonderful.

Favourite classic?
I've re-read a few this year, but I'm going to pick one of the books I read for the first time this year, and I think I'll go for David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.  I'm being a bit choosy about which Dickens I read, but this was an audiobook narrated by Richard Armitage that I thought sounded good, and I wasn't disappointed.

Unsurprisingly, this year I've chosen one from the Wainwright Prize, and it's The Running Hare by John Lewis-Stempel.  I loved, loved, loved it.  The perfect mix of agriculture, nature, history and literature, I thought it was a fantastic book.

Favourite biography?
I've haven't read any biographies this year, but I have read some memoirs, so I'mg going to pick one of those instead.  I've gone for My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell.  I can't believe I've never read this before!  Completely charming and evocative of the period, it was a joy of a book to read.

The Montana Stories by Katherine Mansfield.  I actually read a few collections this year, but the Katherine Mansfield book stood out for me.  I read one of her stores in another collection, and then found this Persephone collection and was blown away.  I can't believe I haven't read her before, and I will definitely be reading more in the future.

I haven't read any this year, although I have bought one (unusually for me), so maybe there'll be one o the list next year!

This would be The Story of Antigone written by Ali Smith and illustrated by Laura Paoletti.  A retelling of Antigone aimed at younger readers.  I bought it after seeing Smith giving a talk with Kamila Shamsie who wrote Home Fire which I mentioned above, and Smith's book was a great version of the classic play.

Favourite publisher?
In a break from tradition, I'm calling it a tie between my beloved Persephone and the children's publisher Chicken House who have published some truly fantastic books this year.

Favourite audiobook?
I'm going with Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë purely because of the fabulous narration of Thandie Newton.  Loved it.

Favourite re-read?
Over the last week or so, I've just re-read The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper as part of a Twitter read-a-long, and I have to say, reading it on the actual days the story is set was a brilliant idea.  It adds so much to the atmosphere of the reading and made for a perfect Christmas read.

Favourite read?
Jen Wilde - Queens of Geek
Rachael Lucas - The State of Grace
Favourite author?
I don't know, couldn't pick just one.
Most read author?
Masami Tsuda (21), Paul van Loon (11), Geronimo Stilton (7), Max Velthuijs (6)
Favourite book cover?
There are so many nice ones!
Book you abandoned?
Blake Charlton - Spellwright 3: Spellbreaker (page 125 out of 476, 26%)
Ava Dellaira - Liefdesbrieven Aan De Sterren (Love Letters To The Dead)(page 34 out of 334, 10%)
Suzanne Young - The Program 2: De Behandeling + Het Herstel (The Program 2: The Treatment + The Recovery) (page 84 out of 396)
Krystal Sutherland - Our Chemical Hearts (page 104 out of 316, ~33%)
Amanda Craig - The Other Side of You[/b] (page 12 out of 101, ~12%)
Book that most disappointed you? (* I'm answering in fully read books only)
Graeme Simsion - The Best of Adam Sharp
Helen Fielding - Bridget Jones's Baby
Dr. Matt - When It Comes To Relationships, You've Been An Idiot
Eric Maisel - Why Smart People Hurt: A Guide for the Bright, the Sensitive, and the Creative
Funniest book?
Allie Brosh - Hyperbole and a Half.
Not sure.
I couldn't pick just one.
Favourite classic?
N/A.
Ashley Mardell - The ABC's of LGBT+.
Favourite biography?
Alis Rowe - The Girl with the Curly Hair
Aad van Toor - Moe, ik kan een salto!
Shawn Inmon - Life is Short: The Collected Works of Shawn Inmon
None, I haven't read any poetry.
Favourite illustrated book? (I'm listing 3 graphic novels, hope that counts)
Noelle Stevenson - Nimona
Cece Bell (colouring David Lasky) - El Deafo
Debbie Tung - Quiet Girl in a Noisy World
Favourite publisher?
Not sure, I read books from a variety of publishers.
Favourite audiobook?
None, I don't listen to audiobooks.
Favourite re-read?
Masami Tsuda - Kare Kano series.

On 31/12/2017 at 1:13 PM, chesilbeach said:

Favourite read?
I've gone for The Good Immigrant edited by Nikesh Shukla, because it made me laugh, made me cry, made me angry but most importantly, made me think.

I've eyed this up on several occasions, almost buying it more than once.  Must take another look!

Without doubt, it has to be Lincoln in the Bardo by George Sanders.  I know lots of people who thought it was excellent and it did win the Man Booker Prize this year, but I found it a real chore to read.  I didn't like the mixture of articles and speech, and the constant switching of voices between the various ghosts.

You are not the only one by any means, given what several other book reading friends have said.  Most common phrases were 'pretentious' and 'completely unreadable'.  I've picked up to browse more than once, but am singularly unattracted.

Favourite classic?

I've re-read a few this year, but I'm going to pick one of the books I read for the first time this year, and I think I'll go for David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.  I'm being a bit choosy about which Dickens I read, but this was an audiobook narrated by Richard Armitage that I thought sounded good, and I wasn't disappointed. 

After a couple of false starts, I read this for my book group a couple of years back, and absolutely loved it.  Only bettered so far by Bleak House, which, if you haven't read and are (understandably!) being picky with your Dickens, I can recommend as not just one of the best of his, but in my top half dozen books ever.

Unsurprisingly, this year I've chosen one from the Wainwright Prize, and it's The Running Hare by John Lewis-Stempel.  I loved, loved, loved it.  The perfect mix of agriculture, nature, history and literature, I thought it was a fantastic book.

Made my shortlist last year, in one of my best years ever for non-fiction.  Loved it.  It didn't make it to the very top mainly because of some amazing competition, but also because, whilst I loved his writing, I thought he leant rather too heavily on quoting chunks of others on occasions. 

What a great post; I loved the extra background to your accolades.  It helps that where we've got common reading, I largely agree (we'll have to agree to disagree on MC Beaton! ;) ) - which his really useful when finding other books to read!

Edited by willoyd

5 hours ago, willoyd said:

What a great post; I loved the extra background to your accolades.  It helps that where we've got common reading, I largely agree (we'll have to agree to disagree on MC Beaton! ;) ) - which his really useful when finding other books to read!

Thank you!  

I both read and listened to The Good Immigrant and I have to say, the audio experience was probably better than the reading experience, as each of the contributors narrates their own essay, and it just gives each one more resonance.  I'm actually going to listen to it again, as it was just so interesting and thought provoking.

I'm glad I'm not alone on Lincoln in the Bardo! :lol: