Round Robin Year-long Challenge

willoyd

2 hours ago, Alexi said:

My TBR is at the front of my blog thread - if anyone can tell me how to link to it in this post I would happily do so! :blush: It is in three posts in there, with obviously those struck out the ones I have already read.

I've put the link in at the end of the first post in the thread, with the others.

The way I did it was to go to the first of the three posts listing your TBRs.  I clicked on the 'Share this post' symbol at the top right of this post, next to 'Report post' (when you rollover the symbol, it puts up a little post-it showing 'Share this post').  That brings up a box showing the URL of the post, which I copied.  I then highlighted the words in my post that I wanted to use as the link, clicked on the 'Link' symbol on the editing ribbon at the top of the post (it's the chain picture, fifth from the left), and then pasted the URL into the box that comes up.  This should set the link up.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Claire - Thank you for my challenge - it's slipped under my radar a bit, so I'm glad you've brought it forward.  Hayley beat me to it on To Serve Them All My Days (I sort of remember the television series, and have meant to read it for a while now - it's a chunky book, but I think it'll be an easy one), so, instead, my challenge to you is a bit different (!): The Year of Reading Dangerously by Andy Miller.  It's been sat on my shelves a while, and looks a fairly light but interesting read about even more books (as long as it doesn't give us ideas for adding to our TBR lists)!

Alexi - I've yet to read a Sarah Waters although I've seen a couple on TV, so thank you for hopefully kicking me off with a new author.  My challenge to you is Graham Robb's Parisians: An Adventure History of Paris.  It's a TBR we share, and dipping into it tonight as I was choosing books, it intrigues, so I hope it proves an entertaining read for you.

Hayley - Thank you for Tess - I've singularly failed to tackle my Hardy list this year, in spite of listing him as a focus for fiction reading in my book blog, so hopefully that'll kickstart those efforts again. One of those books I can't believe I haven't read before, but I haven't! Our lists do look rather different don't they?  Variety is definitely one of the joys of reading!

Little Pixie.  I've added your TBR lists to the others on the first post, following what you said in an earlier post.  If I've got it wrong, please correct me!  In the meantime, using those lists, my challenge to you is Peter Ackroyd's The House of Doctor Dee.  This must be one of my longest standing TBRs, although I have really enjoyed the Ackroyd books I have read, so hopefully this will help us both tick it off!

Edited by willoyd

@Alexi, my challenge to you is Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters, as she’s an author that’s been on my radar for a long time but I’ve only read one of her books, so I’ll live vicariously through you!

9 hours ago, Alexi said:

My challenge to Claire is The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry because it is on my TBR and I have heard great things about it

Thanks. I’ve seen so many people recommend it, and it won one of the big awards last year, but has languished on my TBR for a while, so I’m glad you’ve picked it for me :) 

5 hours ago, willoyd said:

Claire - Thank you for my challenge - it's slipped under my radar a bit, so I'm glad you've brought it forward.  Hayley beat me to it on To Serve Them All My Days (I sort of remember the television series, and have meant to read it for a while now - it's a chunky book, but I think it'll be an easy one), so, instead, my challenge to you is a bit different (!): The Year of Reading Dangerously by Andy Miller.  It's been sat on my shelves a while, and looks a fairly light but interesting read about even more books (as long as it doesn't give us ideas for adding to our TBR lists)!

Thanks @willoyd. Coincidentally, Andy Miller is one of the hosts of the podcast I mentioned which caused me to buy To Serve Them All My Days in the first place!

2 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

Thanks. I’ve seen so many people recommend it, and it won one of the big awards last year, but has languished on my TBR for a while, so I’m glad you’ve picked it for me :) 

Ooooh  I think you're in for a treat.  I loved this. (Hope you do too!).

2 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

Thanks @willoyd. Coincidentally, Andy Miller is one of the hosts of the podcast I mentioned which caused me to buy To Serve Them All My Days in the first place!

I've just googled Backlisted to investigate after your comment above.  It looks interesting - must pursue further.  Looks a bit like the sort of thing Slightly Foxed does, reviving older books.  I really ought to broaden my internet horizons when it comes to books: I keep making superficial efforts to find interesting stuff on books (blogs etc), but struggle to get beyond almost purely American material.

46 minutes ago, willoyd said:

I've just googled Backlisted to investigate after your comment above.  It looks interesting - must pursue further.  Looks a bit like the sort of thing Slightly Foxed does, reviving older books.  I really ought to broaden my internet horizons when it comes to books: I keep making superficial efforts to find interesting stuff on books (blogs etc), but struggle to get beyond almost purely American material.

I think this podcast was made for you! Their first ever episode was about A Month In The Country, and I’m sure you would love it.

17 hours ago, willoyd said:

I've put the link in at the end of the first post in the thread, with the others.

The way I did it was to go to the first of the three posts listing your TBRs.  I clicked on the 'Share this post' symbol at the top right of this post, next to 'Report post' (when you rollover the symbol, it puts up a little post-it showing 'Share this post').  That brings up a box showing the URL of the post, which I copied.  I then highlighted the words in my post that I wanted to use as the link, clicked on the 'Link' symbol on the editing ribbon at the top of the post (it's the chain picture, fifth from the left), and then pasted the URL into the box that comes up.  This should set the link up.

Brilliant, thank you!

16 hours ago, willoyd said:

Alexi - I've yet to read a Sarah Waters although I've seen a couple on TV, so thank you for hopefully kicking me off with a new author.  My challenge to you is Graham Robb's Parisians: An Adventure History of Paris.  It's a TBR we share, and dipping into it tonight as I was choosing books, it intrigues, so I hope it proves an entertaining read for you.

Great challenge, thank you! That one has been languishing on the TBR for a few years now but I keep looking at it and thinking it sounds like a good read so hopefully one that will prove a great 2018 choice. Looks like I'll be joining you on the Waters too....

11 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

@Alexi, my challenge to you is Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters, as she’s an author that’s been on my radar for a long time but I’ve only read one of her books, so I’ll live vicariously through you!

Thank you- I've heard lots of good things about her so time I judged for myself!

8 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

I think this podcast was made for you! Their first ever episode was about A Month In The Country, and I’m sure you would love it.

Definitely needs investigating.  What taste!

23 hours ago, willoyd said:

Little Pixie.  I've added your TBR lists to the others on the first post, following what you said in an earlier post.  If I've got it wrong, please correct me!  In the meantime, using those lists, my challenge to you is Peter Ackroyd's The House of Doctor Dee.  This must be one of my longest standing TBRs, although I have really enjoyed the Ackroyd books I have read, so hopefully this will help us both tick it off!

Yes, the TBR lists look fine :), though I still need to delete a handful of books which I've read. Looking forward to the Dee book ; I've read books in which he's referenced, so it'll be good to have a bit of historical grounding ( or enjoy made-up stuff, since I'm not even vaguely aware of how the book tackles the subject ;) ). Am I also daring you to read the book, or are you planning on reading it anyway ? :)

On 19 December 2017 at 8:44 PM, Alexi said:

My challenge to Chaliepud is Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel for exactly the same reason!

Thanks Alexi, I'll get to it as soon as I can, I have heard really good things about it so am pretty positive I will like it! My challenge to you is Time and Time Again by Ben Elton, one of my favourite reads of this year, very clever and absorbing...and even better, I couldn't hear his voice when I was reading it!! :D 

Edited by chaliepud

Hi Little Pixie, I challenge you to read Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger, I much preferred this to The Time Traveller's Wife as it was so dark and twisty, plus it is partly set in Highgate Cemetery which I have always found morbidly interesting! I hope you like it! :)

14 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Yes, the TBR lists look fine :), though I still need to delete a handful of books which I've read. Looking forward to the Dee book ; I've read books in which he's referenced, so it'll be good to have a bit of historical grounding ( or enjoy made-up stuff, since I'm not even vaguely aware of how the book tackles the subject ;) ). Am I also daring you to read the book, or are you planning on reading it anyway ? :)

We each challenge each other with whatever book we each choose from the respective lists; they are usually different books.  You could challenge me with the same book, but I would ask you not to simply because, as you have surmised,  I've decided that I will also read the books I challenge others with anyway!  You won't be short of choice (I hope!) as I have rather a lot of books in my To Read collection on LibraryThing!

4 hours ago, Madeleine said:

My list is all on Library Thing, if you want to see my books you'll need to register with them (I think it's free), sorry but I just don't have time to list all my tbr books!

You don't need to register.  The way to get onto a list if unregistered is:

1. Go to LibraryThing home page.

2.  Click on the magnifying glass in the Search box at the top right of the screen (don't write anything in the box!).

3. Click on 'Members' in the list that has now appeared on the left hand side of the screen.  All that will happen is that 'Members' will show in bold.

4.  Type 'madeleinescott' into the search box in the centre of the screen.

5.  Click on the link that now shows, which should read 'madeleinescott'!  This will take you to Madeleine's Profile page, from which you can access her books.

When we're here @Madeleine, is it like last year, when anything not rated or otherwise tagged as read or is good to choose?

Edited by willoyd

2 hours ago, willoyd said:

We each challenge each other with whatever book we each choose from the respective lists; they are usually different books.  You could challenge me with the same book, but I would ask you not to simply because, as you have surmised,  I've decided that I will also read the books I challenge others with anyway!  You won't be short of choice (I hope!) as I have rather a lot of books in my To Read collection on LibraryThing!

Right, got it now. :D 

40 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

Yep that's right, anything without a tag hasn't been read.

In which case, my challenge to you is The Shell Seekers by Rosamund Pilcher, a book that has intrigued me for a while, and just needs to be read!

Challenges : 

Willoyd :  Joseph Roth`s The Radetsky March.  I loved this when I read it ; a lot of it`s set in Austria from around the 1850`s onwards.  I found it especially interesting `cos a cousin`s father-in-law had to leave Austria in the 1930`s or 40`s ( he was rather outspoken about the Nazis ) , but some of the family still live there ( and I met my cousin`s husband`s cousin on a trip to Vienna ). :)

Madeleine :  Deanna Raybourn`s A Veronica Speedwell Mystery - A Curious Beginning . I don`t have this one ( yet ;) ) but I`ve read and loved her Lady Julia Grey mysteries. :) 

Chesilbeach : I`ve gone for Mary Stewart`s Touch Not The Cat, one of my top books. :) 

Karen d :  John Buchan`s The 39 steps. 

Alexi : Haruki Murakami`s 1Q84. I adored this when I read it ( rushing through the pages like it was a trashy Airport paperback ) and gave it to friends as a present. :) 

Chaliepud : Pasi Ilmari Jaaskelainen`s The Rabbit Back Literature Society. One of those reads which hangs around in your brain afterwards. :)

Frankie : 

Edited by Little Pixie

11 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

Challenges : 

Willoyd :  Joseph Roth`s The Radetsky March.  I loved this when I read it ; a lot of it`s set in Austria from around the 1850`s onwards.  I found it especially interesting `cos a cousin`s father-in-law had to leave Austria in the 1930`s or 40`s ( he was rather outspoken about the Nazis ) , but some of the family still live there ( and I met my cousin`s husband`s cousin on a trip to Vienna ). :)

Oooh, good one.  It's great when there's a personal connection to a book.

9 hours ago, chaliepud said:

Hi Little Pixie, I challenge you to read Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger, I much preferred this to The Time Traveller's Wife as it was so dark and twisty, plus it is partly set in Highgate Cemetery which I have always found morbidly interesting! I hope you like it! :)

Ooh, looking forward to this one. :D 

5 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Chaliepud : Pasi Ilmari Jaaskelainen`s The Rabbit Back Literature Society. One of those reads which hangs around in your brain afterwards. :)

Thanks L.P, that has been on my TBR for ages! I think frankie has recommended it in the past also. :)

6 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Yep that's right, anything without a tag hasn't been read.

Hi Madeleine, I've visited your Library Thing pages and hopefully I have understood your system...I challenge you to read The Host by Stephenie Meyer. Personally I preferred it to the Twilight series - which I did like - so I hope you like it too. (The film is pretty good too!) :) 

17 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Challenges : 

Madeleine :  Deanna Raybourn`s A Veronica Speedwell Mystery - A Curious Beginning . I don`t have this one ( yet ;) ) but I`ve read and loved her Lady Julia Grey mysteries. :) 

Thanks Pixie, I've been looking for  this one so will try to find out, it's somewhere in the TBR piles....:rolleyes: