Round Robin Year-long Challenge

willoyd

55 minutes ago, karen.d said:

Charliepud I challenge you to read 'Go Set a Watchman' by Harper Lee

Thanks Karen, I challenge you to read Pride and Prejudice, I received a copy for Christmas so am hoping to get around to it this year to see what I’ve been missing! :) 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, chaliepud said:

Thanks Karen, I challenge you to read Pride and Prejudice, I received a copy for Christmas so am hoping to get around to it this year to see what I’ve been missing! :) 

Thanks! I hope we both enjoy 'Pride and Prejudice'.

My list for the reading challenge can be found through this link. The post is on the first page of my new reading log of 2018. You can choose any of the books, as is the plan of the challenge :)  I just made a separate list for the Finnish books and the foreign ones. I left out any novels that are part of a series, and I also left out a lot of non-fiction. 

I'll try and post my own suggestions to each one of you in the next few days! :smile2:

56 minutes ago, frankie said:

My list for the reading challenge can be found through this link. The post is on the first page of my new reading log of 2018. You can choose any of the books, as is the plan of the challenge :)  I just made a separate list for the Finnish books and the foreign ones. I left out any novels that are part of a series, and I also left out a lot of non-fiction. 

I'll try and post my own suggestions to each one of you in the next few days! :smile2:

I challenge you to read   The Hobbit- by Tolkien, J.R.R. I love this book, I hope you enjoy it too.

1 hour ago, frankie said:

Hey frankie! I challenge you to read Red Dog by Louis De Bernieres as I think you’ll love it! I was going to choose Human Traces but I do feel you need to WANT to read that one, so you’ll do it when you’re ready. :)

18 hours ago, karen.d said:

Chesilbeach I challenge you to Winter by Ali Smith and Willoyd I challenge you to read 'I am Pilgrim', that's if you haven't been challenged already!

Thanks Karen!  I only read Autumn a few weeks ago, but Ali Smith is one of my favourite authors, so I'm looking forward to following it with Winter shortly. :)

21 hours ago, frankie said:

and I also left out a lot of non-fiction.

I wonder why? Only because there looked to be some really good non-fiction books on that list in your 2017 thread.  There are also some good looking books still on the list of course. I'm going to stick with one of the few non-fiction kept, which is Erik Larson's Dead Wake, a book that I have on my TBR shelves, and one that looks very promising, especially having enjoyed Isaac's Storm a lot.

Thanks for the link to your list, @frankie. I've added to the others on the first post of this thread too.

Edited by willoyd

Hi Karen, I'd like to challenge you to Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - I've heard lots of great things through the years!

And Little Pixie, I'd like to challenge you to Flight Behaviour by Barbara Kingsolver. :)

36 minutes ago, Alexi said:

Hi Karen, I'd like to challenge you to Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - I've heard lots of great things through the years!

And Little Pixie, I'd like to challenge you to Flight Behaviour by Barbara Kingsolver. :)

Thanks Alexi! Just about to start one of the challenge reads! :D

I was a bit cheeky and read and finished Station Eleven just before 2018 began, very happy it was chosen for me though as it was excellent, thank you Alexi! Now starting The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney, Willoyd's choice.

Happy Round Robin everyone! :) 

Now I've sorted out my 2018 blog, I'd like to join in, if I may?

My TBR list is at the start of my blog, albeit a bit messy at the mo - there's a limit to what you can do on a phone, but I'll sort it out. ;) 

Books I'm already definitely reading imminently are the rest of The Dark Tower, the rest of Robin Hobb's Fitz & the Fool trilogy and at least one Wheel of Time so you might want to avoid choosing them. :)

I'll look at everyone's lists tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, More reading time required said:

My TBR list is at the start of my blog, albeit a bit messy at the mo - there's a limit to what you can do on a phone, but I'll sort it out. ;)

No problem - it's early enough in the year, and we've still not got too many.  I've added your name and TBR link to the first post on this thread.  You might like to take a look at the Round Robin 2018 thread, where everybody has listed their challenges, and where we'll be discussing anything to do with this year's challenge, once challenges have been made and admin sorted out here.

To get your list rolling, I'm challenging you with Antony Beevor's Stalingrad.  I'm trying to challenge people with books that not only are on their TBR list, but also on mine, as I'm trying to read both sets (challenges to me and challenges by me) - that's well beyond the challenge itself, just something I've set myself and to give a focus to my challenges to others.  You and I don't share many books between our TBR lists, but this is one, and it's the only non-fiction.  As I'm trying to focus my reading a bit more on non-fiction, it seemed to make sense for it to be my challenge to you (hope that background isn't too long-winded!).  I look forward to your challenge to me!

Edited by willoyd

11 hours ago, More reading time required said:

Books I'm already definitely reading imminently are the rest of The Dark Tower, the rest of Robin Hobb's Fitz & the Fool trilogy and at least one Wheel of Time so you might want to avoid choosing them. :)

I'll look at everyone's lists tomorrow.

Welcome to the Round Robin challenge! I challenge you to read Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell, this has been on my TBR shelves for too long and I have heard great things about it. :)

On 30.12.2017 at 10:49 PM, karen.d said:

I challenge you to read   The Hobbit- by Tolkien, J.R.R. I love this book, I hope you enjoy it too.

Thanks Karen! :)  I hope to like it, too! And it might get me to finally read Lord of the Rings, too :D 

On 30.12.2017 at 10:55 PM, chaliepud said:

Hey frankie! I challenge you to read Red Dog by Louis De Bernieres as I think you’ll love it! I was going to choose Human Traces but I do feel you need to WANT to read that one, so you’ll do it when you’re ready. :)

Haa, I did wonder if you'd choose that one! :D But I understand your logic. Thanks for Red Dog! It ought to be great! :smile2:

On 31.12.2017 at 10:06 AM, chesilbeach said:

Hi @frankie, I'd like to challenge you to Miss Hargreaves by Frank Baker.  I haven't seen this one before but I like old books being republished and this one sounds like a good read. :) 

I don't know why I haven't read that book yet! It's such a beautiful book! :smile2: Thanks! 

On 31.12.2017 at 7:02 PM, willoyd said:

I wonder why? Only because there looked to be some really good non-fiction books on that list in your 2017 thread.  There are also some good looking books still on the list of course.

It's mainly because I've had real problems getting into any books in the past few months and I fear that if I start to read a non-fiction book, it just won't stick. I think a book with a plot might have a bigger chance to hold my interest! Also, some of the non-fiction books are the kind that one will enjoy more if they are dipped into every now and then, and not read in one go. Like my copy of Introduction to Psychology

On 31.12.2017 at 7:02 PM, willoyd said:

I'm going to stick with one of the few non-fiction kept, which is Erik Larson's Dead Wake, a book that I have on my TBR shelves, and one that looks very promising, especially having enjoyed Isaac's Storm a lot.

What are the odds! I've just been to see your TBR list and I chose Dead Wake for you! :D It's because I have a copy of the book as you well know, and I hear it's a great one! 

I've still to go through the lists of other members taking part in this, I'm getting back to that after I've submitted this post. 

My suggested challenge reads:

willoyd: Dead Wake by Erik Larson  -  I have this book on my TBR, too, and it's supposed to be good! I hope you will enjoy it :)

Madeleine: Bleak House by Charles Dickens   -  I hope you will like this one by Dickens! I've not read it myself yet, but I've been wanting to for some time now! :)

chesilbeachMiddlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides  -  This is one of my all time favorites. An interesting topic and such a great story. Meaty book!  :)

karen.d: Cujo by Stephen King -  This one is one of my favorites by King. Very captivating, and scary. :ph34r:

Alexi The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay by Michael Chabon  -  A great story, one that I didn't want to put down! I hope you will enjoy it :)'

chaliepud: Cannery Row by John Steinbeck -  This was a bit of a quirky read, I really liked it! I hope you will too :)

Little Pixie  The Book Thief by  Markus Zusak   - This is what I would consider a modern classic. It's a great one! :)

More time for reading: East of Eden by John Steinbeck   -  I have this book on my  TBR and I really want to read it soon, too! I hope it's great and that you will like it! :)

I think that's everyone!  Let me know if I've forgotten someone! I'm a bit tired at the moment. 

I'm really getting excited about this! :D Happy reading everyone! 

Edited by frankie

12 hours ago, frankie said:

karen.d: Cujo by Stephen King -  This one is one of my favorites by King. Very captivating, and scary. :ph34r:

I think that's everyone!  Let me know if I've forgotten someone! I'm a bit tired at the moment. 

I'm really getting excited about this! :D Happy reading everyone! 

Thanks! Will get to that soon! :D

15 hours ago, frankie said:

willoyd: Dead Wake by Erik Larson  -  I have this book on my TBR, too, and it's supposed to be good! I hope you will enjoy it :)

Thank you @frankie, but as I've set myself the additional challenge of reading the books I challenge people with, as well as those I am challenged to read, I'd be grateful  if you could find me another book on my list, as Dead Wake is therefore already part of my challenge.  Alternatively, if that's a problem for any reason, I'll change my challenge to you.  I'm hoping it's not, as I do have rather a lot of books on my To Read list!

Edited by willoyd

I'm now going to attempt to challenge everyone who I haven't yet challenged... If I have duplicated a book someone else has suggested, apologies and please shout up!

Madeleine - If I have understood your system (and I think there is a good chance I haven't :giggle2: ) I would like to challenge you to The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett because it has been languishing on my TBR for ages and yet comes very highly recommended. 

More reading time required - I'd like to challenge you to Skagboys, by Irvine Welsh if I may. I have read Trainspotting (as I expect you have?) but neither to the prequel or sequel! And as I intend to read those books I challenge others to, this is completely different to anything else on my list. :)

Frankie - I'd like to make an exception and challenge you to something I've already read! Once in a House on Fire by Andrea Ashworth. It was one of my favourite books I read as a teenager and I'd love an excuse to reread it. The author grew up in my home city, and partly because of that I found it a really powerful read then. I hope you feel the same (and I feel the same now I'm 15 years older! :D ) 

Edited by Alexi

19 hours ago, frankie said:

chesilbeachMiddlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides  -  This is one of my all time favorites. An interesting topic and such a great story. Meaty book!  :)

Thanks @frankie. I’ve been putting this one off a lot (I never should have read The Virgin Suicides first), so this will make me read it. :D 

On 1/1/2018 at 1:53 PM, chaliepud said:

I was a bit cheeky and read and finished Station Eleven just before 2018 began, very happy it was chosen for me though as it was excellent, thank you Alexi! Now starting The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney, Willoyd's choice.

Happy Round Robin everyone! :) 

Great news! Sounds like I have a good read coming up then. 

19 hours ago, frankie said:

Alexi The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay by Michael Chabon  -  A great story, one that I didn't want to put down! I hope you will enjoy it :)'

Ooh great challenge - thank you! That has been on my TBR for a while for no good reason, so this gives me extra motivation to get stuck in. :)

20 hours ago, frankie said:

chaliepud: Cannery Row by John Steinbeck -  This was a bit of a quirky read, I really liked it! I hope you will too :)

Thank you, frankie...I’ve been putting off the Steinbecks, I think I’m wary that none of them can match up to Of Mice and Men, it’s now time to find out! :)