The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

Weave

Title of Book: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

Name of Author: Haruki Murakami

Paperback: 613 Pages (My copy had 607 pages)

ISBN-10: 1860465811

ISBN-13: 978-1860465819

Synopsis:

'Toru Okada's cat has disappeared and this has unsettled his wife, who is herself growing more distant every day. Then there are the increasingly explicit telephone calls he has started receiving. As this compelling story unfolds, the tidy suburban realities of Okada's vague and blameless life - spent cooking, reading, listening to jazz and opera and drinking beer at the kitchen table - are turned inside out, and he embarks on a bizarre journey, guided (however obscurely) by a succession of characters, each with a tale to tell.'

Welcome to the world of Haruki Murakami where anything is possible, where characters leap off the pages.

'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle' tells the story of Toru Okada, a man who is just living his life and then suddenly everything changes and his life takes a strange turn.

Toru is a amazingly uncomplicated character, he takes everything at face value,

which proves to be his downfall when his wife leaves him

. He meets so many wonderful characters, all different in their own ways and they all have a story to share.

A enjoyable book, fantastic characters and a great story.

Rating: 10/10

6a00cd970046954cd500cd970083b64cd5-.jpg

Edited by Weave

I absolutely loved this book. One of my two favourite Murukami novels (along with A Wild Sheep Chase). It's so complex, and the stuff about Manchuria is fascinating (as well as apparently being a rare facing up to this part of Japan's history). It felt almost like cyberpunk stuff, with all the levels of interaction, but done in a bizarre suburban Japanese setting.

I love this book, it's simply amazing! It's complex and rich with fantastic characters. My favorite character is the girl that lives near toru's house. The part with the well as fantastic. Not an easy book to read, I think, but keep going with it because it's worth it!

Hear Hear! x