Your Book Activity - December 2017

chesilbeach

I've unfortunately given up on Sleeping Beauties by Stephen and Owen King. It was just too long and dragged out. :unsure: Every time I would pick it up, I'd have to mentally steel myself to push forward with it. Oh well, at least it was a library book and not one I paid for! :lol:

Yesterday I started Thin Air by Michelle Paver and I finished it this morning. It was a short read - only 200 odd pages - but very creepy and atmospheric. Next up is The Mountain Between Us. I haven't seen the film yet....always good to read the book before seeing the movie. 

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 12:34 PM, chesilbeach said:

I’m reading this at the moment @muggle not, and finding it a bit of a chore.  I can only read a couple of chapters at most before I have to put it down.  The only reason I’m going to keep going is because I’m reading it for my next book group meeting. I’m just about to start part three, so another 100 pages to go.  

I desperately want to finish it soon and concentrate on the other book I’m reading at the moment, The Dark Is Rising which I’m re-reading as part of a Twitter read-a-long that started on Wednesday (Midwinter’s Eve) as that’s the same day the story starts.  It’s a coincidence but both stories are set in winter and have a basis in folklore but for me, TDIR is totally compelling to read and I’m forcing myself to put it down after one or two chapters and savour the reading experience of it! 

Sorry to hear that you are not enjoying The Bear and the Nightingale (book 1 of Winternight Trilogy), the debut novel by Katherine Arden. I found the book fascinating and full of Russian folklore, history, and magic. However, the book is probably not for everyone although it is a National bestseller in the U.S.  Arden's storytelling is wonderful even though quite a bit on the dark side. The 2nd book in the Winternight Trilogy, the Girl In The Tower was even better and I rate it a 10/10. I am anxiously awaitingr book 3....Winter of the Witch.

On 23/12/2017 at 6:34 PM, chesilbeach said:

I’m reading this at the moment @muggle not, and finding it a bit of a chore.  I can only read a couple of chapters at most before I have to put it down.  The only reason I’m going to keep going is because I’m reading it for my next book group meeting. I’m just about to start part three, so another 100 pages to go.  

I desperately want to finish it soon and concentrate on the other book I’m reading at the moment, The Dark Is Rising which I’m re-reading as part of a Twitter read-a-long that started on Wednesday (Midwinter’s Eve) as that’s the same day the story starts.  It’s a coincidence but both stories are set in winter and have a basis in folklore but for me, TDIR is totally compelling to read and I’m forcing myself to put it down after one or two chapters and savour the reading experience of it! 

Is that the The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper?

On 12/27/2017 at 3:34 PM, muggle not said:

Sorry to hear that you are not enjoying The Bear and the Nightingale (book 1 of Winternight Trilogy), the debut novel by Katherine Arden. I found the book fascinating and full of Russian folklore, history, and magic. However, the book is probably not for everyone although it is a National bestseller in the U.S.  Arden's storytelling is wonderful even though quite a bit on the dark side. The 2nd book in the Winternight Trilogy, the Girl In The Tower was even better and I rate it a 10/10. I am anxiously awaitingr book 3....Winter of the Witch.

I liked the story itself, but something about the writing and pace just didn’t suit me.  Sorry.

On 23/12/2017 at 5:34 PM, chesilbeach said:

TDIR is totally compelling to read and I’m forcing myself to put it down after one or two chapters and savour the reading experience of it! 

I had to do exactly the same!  I read it two or three winters ago, and found it completely gripping, and really well written (6 star read).  So glad you're enjoying it too.

On 12/27/2017 at 4:28 PM, Alexander the Great said:

Is that the The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper?

Yes - I’m about three quarters of the way through and enjoying it more than I did on my first read!  Such a perfect winter story, and it’s lovely to read it at the time of year the book is set. :)

On 12/27/2017 at 4:33 PM, willoyd said:

I had to do exactly the same!  I read it two or three winters ago, and found it completely gripping, and really well written (6 star read).  So glad you're enjoying it too.

On second reading I would definitely rate it 5/5, it’s just wonderful.

Today, I bought a bunch of books, and I've managed to update all my spreadsheets and my book blog thread with all the details. :)

I've also read another two chapters of The Dark Is Rising with two chapters left for tomorrow, and read another chapter of 21st-Century Yokel and I'm now going to start another fiction book to read alongside it. :D 

My reading speed has been abysmal this last couple of months, but I was determined to at least finish the Wheel of Time book that I started in September to keep up my TWoT re-read. Anyway, I finished Crown of Swords last night - hurrah! 

I'm still yet to finish Wolves of the Calla, but I have 2 and a bit days to add to my 2017 finished list. ;)   

I finished another couple of chapters of 21st-Century Yokel yesterday  as well as finishing The Dark Is Rising and Christmas Dinner of Souls (which despite being for children, was actually a bit scary, and I wish I finished it during daylight!).

Today, I’m going to be starting Sky Chasers by Emma Carroll, plus an M. C. Beaton romcom on my Kindle.

I read another chapter of 21st-Century Yokel yesterday, so one more to go.  I'm halfway through Sky Chasers and loving it (a historical re-imagining of the first balloon flight by the Montgolfier brothers in the 18th century, written for children).  Not sure how much time I'll have for reading today, so these might teeter over into 2018. :D