What's Up in December 2017

Virginia

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey y'all!I

I spent the day finishing up the kitchen and have every nonessential item packed away. The master bedroom is just about finished. Basically, I'm DONE with my part of the packing, We close Wednesday afternoon and we'll be hauling butt to get in before the weekend. I already set up cable/internet to be installed on Thursday and lights will be switched hopefully by Friday. I'll be painting. We want to be settled in by Christmas Eve!

I will go and have a look.

It has been a bit of a strange weekend for me. When Coran and I were loading the bags into my car on Saturday to go food shopping we noticed a dent in the 2 doors on the passenger side. No idea how long it had been there or who did it, as I have certainly not hit anyone. Then when we came out of the supermarket and loaded the bags into the boot, blow we down if we noticed yet more damage on the bumper where someone else had done the exact same thing. I know that definitely wasn't there a week ago as I would have noticed it the previous week when I went food shopping then, so suspect that happened while we were in the supermarket. No CCTV though and no way to prove who did it or when.

I was though understandably fuming - to have this happen once was bad enough, but twice! Anyway got home, phoned my insurance company and got it all sorted out. Apparently as it is 2 different incidents it has to be treated as 2 claims, which means 2 lots of repairs and 2 lots of excess for me to have to pay. The icing on the cake is that as there is no one they can claim the money back from my premiums are likely to go up. At least I have protected no claims, although I have already made one claim a year and a half ago which was my fault (I reversed into someone but only my car was damaged thankfully) and if you make more than 3 claims in a 3 year period that goes out the window too. I have decided then that the doors are more important to get done and will just have to get the bumper done later on. I am really not happy about any of this, but what can you do, unfortunately there are nasty people out there.     

It's happened to me more times than I can remember, Talisman, and you don't always notice the damage if you don't happen to be looking at that part of the car, especially now it's dark early.  So annoying.  One of our managers came back to her car a while ago and found someone had left a note on the windscreen with their number as they'd backed into her car, and she was really surprised when I told her that she was lucky they admitted it, as I've never had anyone confess, except one time when someone backed into my mum's car and someone saw it happen, and fetched her as they knew she worked in one of the local shops.

The two separate claims issue sounds like the insurance company pushing things up themselves.  I agree the doors are probably more important though, that's what bumpers are for after all as long as the damage isn't too bad.

Isn't it just. I mean I just couldn't do that. I don't know how they can live with their conscience. The worst thing is knowing that it could be someone I work with. There really is no excuse though, as for that sort of damage you can't possibly not know that you have done it. The car is booked in for January 12th anyway so I guess I will have to worry about it then. 

I had a call from Coran earlier this morning to say that she had been to see the Doctor as she has been experiencing a bit of abdominal discomfort for a few days and they had advised her to go to A&E as they suspected it was a rumbling appendix. Luckily they have now ruled that out, and as far as I know all the blood tests have come back clear, so she is now waiting for the results of an X-ray. God knows though when she will be home. She hasn't eaten anything since breakfast and must be starving, poor thing!  

I can't say that though, as my boss decided he was going to take us all out to lunch today (the company of course paid for it). Normally we go to the local café but this time we went to one of the nearby pubs. It was really nice actually to have an extended lunch break away from work and have a bit of a laugh all together. 

I have 3 more days of work to go before we all break up for Christmas. Some of the clients have already gone to their families but most will start to drift away by the end of the week. This time next week I will halfway to Iceland to see my favourite band Sigur Ros.:yahoo:

Edited by Talisman

Hey y'all! 

Bought a house, had the closing and started moving in. Still think it's a dream! Busy day tomorrow with cable and security being hooked up. The kitchen is done and the bathrooms are almost finished. Got the majority of boxes at the new place already. 

I'm drinking wine from a beer mug because the whine glasses are at the new house. Seems I've drink more of the wine from the mug than I planned. Don't judge me! 

Thankfully Coran is okay after her sojourn in A&E the other day - it turned out to be a side effect of the Linx device she had fitted last year for acid reflux and is therefore nothing to worry about. Things are starting to quieten down at work with a lot of the clients gone already - most go either tonight or tomorrow back to their families until New Year. The skills and training sessions finish tomorrow, but there will be a few admin staff around between Christmas and New Year as well as maintenance of course which for one day at least will include me. We have our Christmas food shop as well to look forward to (not) after work tomorrow. :wub:

Hey y'all!

Thanks Madeleine and Chali! Glad Coran is doing better Tali!

I'm exhausted! We've gotten a lot accomplished in a few short days. The new house has been cleaned and I unpacked and shelved ALLLLLL of my books! Everything is just about in place and I'll finish it up today. The next thing will be to move in the big furniture. The pictures are up on the wall, cable/internet, lights, water and security system are all in place. I've had coffee and baked a frozen lasagna in my new kitchen and I've met a couple of neighbors. Kizzy loves her new home and all the extra space she has! This evening or tomorrow I'll start cleaning the old house. Not much to do really, once over on the floors and a wipe down of the bathrooms. The kitchen has already been done. Hubby and ds will knock out the sheds and yard.

I have sworn on the precious that I will never buy another printed book as long as I live. It's freaking ridiculous! 

it's finally here - I am going to Iceland (my favourite country) later on today to see Sigur Ros (my favourite band). :yahoo:I have been driving poor Coran mad for weeks playing them more or less non stop. My bag is more or less packed, the tickets are all printed out, the money has been transferred on to my travel card, so all I have to do now is turn up. Lift off is at 3.30pm, but I will be leaving at around midday to get lunch at the airport so that Coran isn't too late back to get hers and so I have plenty of time. If I am too early there are plenty of Icelandic books I can sit and read - or of course there's always more Sigur Ros. :D  

Enjoy your trip Tali! I was so curious about your favorite group that I found them on YouTube and liked them so much I downloaded them on my Amazon music app!

Well, Christmas has come and gone and boy was it hectic! We got all moved in and the other house is just about done. We'll have a landscape guy come in and do the leaves by the end of the week. All the garbage has been put to the side of the road for pick up. 

My mom and brother came down Sunday and left yesterday morning. The grands were picked up Sunday for dinner and taken back home later that night. Dd couldn't come because she suffers from ulcers on her eyes and they were acting up. Christmas day was spent in the ER with because it was REALLY bad. They had to call in an ophthalmologist. She's on a eye drop regime and has a follow up tomorrow. Thank God it was caught in time. Anyway, what was supposed to be a quiet day at home for me and hubby turned into a day with the grands. I have the four youngest with me now. They'll go back probably tomorrow evening.

I'm hoping this will be the last week of the constant going. I want to settle in and really enjoy being home!

On 12/26/2017 at 10:27 AM, Talisman said:

it's finally here - I am going to Iceland (my favourite country) later on today to see Sigur Ros (my favourite band). :yahoo:I have been driving poor Coran mad for weeks playing them more or less non stop. My bag is more or less packed, the tickets are all printed out, the money has been transferred on to my travel card, so all I have to do now is turn up. Lift off is at 3.30pm, but I will be leaving at around midday to get lunch at the airport so that Coran isn't too late back to get hers and so I have plenty of time. If I am too early there are plenty of Icelandic books I can sit and read - or of course there's always more Sigur Ros. :D  

I wish you lots of fun :)!

On 12/26/2017 at 2:38 PM, Virginia said:

Well, Christmas has come and gone and boy was it hectic! We got all moved in and the other house is just about done. We'll have a landscape guy come in and do the leaves by the end of the week. All the garbage has been put to the side of the road for pick up. 

My mom and brother came down Sunday and left yesterday morning. The grands were picked up Sunday for dinner and taken back home later that night. Dd couldn't come because she suffers from ulcers on her eyes and they were acting up. Christmas day was spent in the ER with because it was REALLY bad. They had to call in an ophthalmologist. She's on a eye drop regime and has a follow up tomorrow. Thank God it was caught in time. Anyway, what was supposed to be a quiet day at home for me and hubby turned into a day with the grands. I have the four youngest with me now. They'll go back probably tomorrow evening.

I'm hoping this will be the last week of the constant going. I want to settle in and really enjoy being home!

Oh no, I hope your family member is okay now :(?

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas :xmassmile:. Things have been a bit busy around here. We celebrated Michael's birthday on the 25th and that was a lot of fun. Yesterday (the 26th) we had a big dinner with lots of family members. My sister and her fiancé spent the night at my parents' house so I spent a bit of time talking with them today. I'm hoping to rest a bit during the next few days, because I'm quite exhausted from all the things we've had going on in the past while. But I did have a lot of fun the past few days.

Enjoying mooching around not doing much in my downtime between Christmas and New Year. :D  We've been having our annual Christmas games tournament and I'm currently in the lead 16-9, and hoping to win for the third year in a row.  We just play kids games like Tumbling Monkeys and other board games but it's nice to have some time just to mess about and be silly. :giggle2:

Hey y'all!

Spent the first part of the day traveling to an adjoining state to pick up something for dd. I spent a total of 5 hours traveling. Got back in town and finished picking up bits and pieces for the house, dropping off old cable boxes, getting some security upgrades and grocery shopping. It was exhausting but I got a lot accomplished. Tomorrow I will go see my clients and do laundry and pick up a carpet cleaner and do my Florida room (think conservatory) and my SUV (filthy from the move and grands) then rest up for Saturday when I will take the two oldest boys out to the zoo and to see CoCo and pizza. They've had a lot on their little shoulders and I want to reward them. Then its back home to get ready for New Years Eve. We are going to our old home town for midnight church service called "Watch Night." Its inception began in the South after the Civil War. Emancipated Slaves would go to church and sing hymns and pray and watch the clock til 5 minutes before midnight when the lights would go out by the "watchmen" who counts the time til midnight while a deacon prays in the New Year. At first the watchmen would do this to look out for klansmen (KKK).The lights are then turned on and we all hang out and and eat a traditional New Years meal of blackeyed peas, called "hoppin' john" and rice with greens and cakes and such. Its really a great time. Each year the churches in our union rotate the watch service. This year it falls to our church. We'll stay in a hotel and then leave Monday.

By Monday late afternoon I will refuse to move from my sofa or open the door. Cause I'm tired!

Edited by Virginia

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:38 PM, Virginia said:

Enjoy your trip Tali! I was so curious about your favorite group that I found them on YouTube and liked them so much I downloaded them on my Amazon music app!

That's brilliant - you will no doubt very soon get hooked on them like I am. Do you have a favourite song or album yet?

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:30 PM, Athena said:

I wish you lots of fun :)!

I had heaps of fun. Reykjavik was so cold though - the air temperature was around minus 3/4 degrees but with the wind chill it felt a lot colder than that. I definitely needed those thermals and you definitely need to stay active as well. The show was though just brilliant and worth every single penny. I wrote on Facebook that it was almost like an out of body experience, with the vibrations from the music and everything, especially the drums and the bowed guitar (their singer plays his guitar with a cello bow) that you can feel it in your body right down to a cellular level almost. Incredible. To be that close to the stage (I was in the 10th row) in such a gorgeous venue (it really is beautiful) was well, it is difficult to find the words.

Reykjavik of course was also great, as it always is. I discovered at least one new restaurant, has some great times in the pool wallowing in the hot tubs, and visiting some of the other landmarks, had a heart attack when I saw how much the beer cost, but had one anyway, bought a mountain of Icelandic chocolate and more beer at the duty free store to bring home (well, you have to really and it does taste so good) and generally just had a great time. It's good to be back though. Coran was waiting for me in arrivals last night with open arms. :hug:

Evening all,  hope everyone had a fabulous Christmas.  I had a great time.  :)

I started my new job last week too and that's going well too (although still trying to find my way around things). Also, I only had to go in 1 and a 1/2 days over xmas as I had some holiday to take.