What's Up in December 2017

Virginia

Soooo, no one wants to welcome in December? LOL!

Hey y'all!

Been pretty busy the last few weeks. We had a bump in the road with the house and are getting it sorted out. We had to change the closing date til 22 December unless we can get it done sooner. Our previous lender fudged some numbers on the mortgage so we had to part ways. 

I passed my real estate exam and will be doing a final sales class around 22 December. It lasts 4 days. Our real estate agent is putting in a good word with his broker and so is our lender, lol! ALWAYS shop local!

This year has been filled with intensive activity and periods of quiet. I really appreciate the quiet, especially when I think about all that we did this year.

Graduated from college

Attended real estate school

Made 3 trips to El Paso, Texas (1642 miles each way) within 3 months. 

Had a new granddaughter born 2 months early

Moved dd and grands back to South Carolina (her hubby loves the new place and wishes he could spend more time in it)

Finally took my real estate exam (as you can see, its been busy and it takes time to study for the exam

Purchasing a house

I know I'm missing some stuff but these are the major life changes this year. And we still have this month to get through!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe I forgot it was December, not November! :lol: 

After having sniffles and sneezing all day yesterday, I woke up this morning without that, but with a stinking headache and I've been feeling a bit queasy all day.  Went out this morning and did a bit of running around, but this afternoon, I've had a couple of hours sleep and I feel a bit better now thankfully.

Fingers crossed for a better day tomorrow! :D 

Felt much better today, thanks Madeleine. :)

Not much on today, just a few jobs around the house, so I've been listening to a book rather than reading, and just settling down for the evening now.  Back to normal routine tomorrow, so up early for work and counting down the days to my holidays for Christmas! :D

On 12/3/2017 at 9:44 AM, Talisman said:

It was brilliant - everyone loves Abba after all. They played most of my favourites. Coran and I were right at the back in the last row which meant that no one moaned when we got up to dance. It also meant we had a pretty good view. They are playing at the same venue apparently next December, so we shall have to get tickets for that one as well. The next live show I go to will of course be Sigur Ros in Iceland - 26 days to go! :yahoo:I have ordered a new Down (synthetic) jacket to take with me as my old is starting to get some holes in the lining. It was a bargain at £29.99 reduced from £120. I do love it when I get a good bargain. I have been looking around for a good travel tripod as well, as with only 5 hours of daylight and extended 2 hour sunrises and sunsets there will be some great opportunities for low light photography - not to mention of course the possibility of Northern Lights. :D 

I like ABBA too :). I wish you lots of fun in Iceland :D.

On 12/2/2017 at 3:15 PM, Virginia said:

Soooo, no one wants to welcome in December? LOL!

I completely forgot it is December now :doh:!

On 12/2/2017 at 3:15 PM, Virginia said:

I passed my real estate exam and will be doing a final sales class around 22 December. It lasts 4 days. Our real estate agent is putting in a good word with his broker and so is our lender, lol! ALWAYS shop local!

Congratulations on passing your exam :)!

It looks like you've had a lot happening this year!

On 12/2/2017 at 4:51 PM, chesilbeach said:

After having sniffles and sneezing all day yesterday, I woke up this morning without that, but with a stinking headache and I've been feeling a bit queasy all day.  Went out this morning and did a bit of running around, but this afternoon, I've had a couple of hours sleep and I feel a bit better now thankfully.

Fingers crossed for a better day tomorrow! :D 

I hope you feel better soon :D!

I had a pretty nice weekend (minus the stress about last week). I made homemade lasagna and I made a rectangular cake. I did a lot around the house, I read quite a bit, and I was busy with book statistics. Michael and I watched Wonder Woman last night. I also  It was good to have a nice, relatively quiet weekend after last week's events (which I'm still upset about, but it's not something I want to put on a public forum).

That sounds like quite a year Virginia. It's just over a year now since I got my promotion and a lot has changed for me too during that time.

In the past year I have lost 2 members of staff but gained 3 more who are infinitely better than the ones I lost. I have rearranged our entire stock ordering system, overseen the purchase of almost £2000 worth of new cleaning machinery and changed our supplier, in the process saving us several hundred pounds each month. I have also rearranged all the cleaning rotas so that areas previously neglected now form part of our cleaning schedule. We also now have a member of staff working out of hours one night a week deep cleaning other areas that can't be done during the day. I have got all the COSHH sheets up to date and also arranged COSHH training for all the care staff who need it.  

On a personal level I have had some fabulous holidays to Malta, the Channel Islands and Croatia. I have been on a few protest marches, :yeahthat:read tons of fabulous books and seen the best rock band in the world in London. Before the year is out I will have also seen them in their native Iceland. There is loads more I have done this year that I could probably think of if I tried, but this isn't of course all about me!

Christmas is fast approaching, and bearing this in mind and to thank them for all their hard work I am treating my 3 staff to a cream tea tomorrow afternoon (plus myself of course) in the little café that the clients run each Tuesday afternoon. It's a good excuse to sit around chatting for an hour and not do any work and personally I think we all deserve it. :D

Edited by Talisman

Hey y'all!

I'm so jealous of all the traveling you've been able to do this year Tali! I'd love to visit outside the USA but honestly, the way things are with Dotard Drumpf (Trump) I fear we are about to enter an era where we will be the most hated humans on earth.

Gaia, make sure you get that rest! Nothing is better than self healing and rest.

Speaking of which, that's what I'm doing today. Yesterday was exhausting, even for ME! Started the day off  a bit of house work before seeing my two clients, Hubby took the tree down from the attack along with the decorations. He set it up while I was visiting my second client. I cleaned the dining area (where the tree is) packed another box then changed and went to take paperwork to our lender, stopped by dd to pick up a ham for hubby, picked up a few items from Walmart, visited our credit union and my mom's bank. I also had to use a laundromat as my washing machine died last week. I finally was able to come home nattered and was able to finally rest by 5pm and was asleep by 8pm. I plan to do nothing today other than putting the decorations on the tree and walking Kizzy.  Come to think of it, I may do this the rest of the week!

8 hours ago, Madeleine said:

What a lovely idea Talisman, hope you all enjoy your cream tea!

It was lovely actually - the maintenance team kept pulling faces at us every time they walked past, but they were just jealous because they weren't sitting in there with us!      

2 hours ago, Virginia said:

Hey y'all!

I'm so jealous of all the traveling you've been able to do this year Tali! I'd love to visit outside the USA but honestly, the way things are with Dotard Drumpf (Trump) I fear we are about to enter an era where we will be the most hated humans on earth.

Most people here at least are clued in enough to realise that most ordinary Americans are nothing like your President Virginia - to be honest I don't care much for our Government either with the way their austerity measures (most of which imo are completely unnecessary and don't work) are hammering the poor and disabled. Don't even get me started on Brexit! :yeahthat: As for my travels, I am really lucky in that I get a very generous annual leave allowance (26 days - 27 next year, plus 2 compulsory days for Christmas and 8 Bank Holidays). I have always loved to travel and now I have the time and a bit more money I intend to do just that. I know it is more difficult for Americans though, as you don't get nearly so much holiday time as we do, plus your country is so vast - I mean the state of Texas alone must be at least 50 times bigger than our entire country. You have other responsibilities too that make it more difficult, whereas I only have Coran to think about. She has never been interested in travel like I am, but doesn't mind me going away on my own at all - in fact the absence brings us even closer together. 

Hey y'all!

It's a rainy and cold day here in South Carolina. We had the grands since yesterday. The cleaners came in this morning to clean up the soot from the kitchen fire. It was just easier to keep them overnight then to rush over there first thing this morning, rouse them out of bed and drag them out into the cold. 

Not much planned for today. Its just a dreary day. The Christmas tree lights are on and candles are lit. We're all in our pj's and when I drop them off at home this afternoon, they will STILL be in their pj's lol! I'll make one or two stops after I drop them off and then head home where I'll most likely remain for the weekend. 

It was another busy day at work for me - I managed to clock up almost 13,000 steps - 4.7 miles. It was freezing cold but that doesn't bother me as I was well wrapped up in a nice padded jacket and warm trousers. They are forecasting heavy snowfall for Monday which should be interesting. Still, it's a lot warmer here than in Iceland where I shall be visiting just after Christmas. It was minus 3 in Reykjavik today and minus 8 in the north of the country - I hope it stays that way as I love Icelandic winters - it's a good excuse to have plenty of hot chocolate laced with vodka - lovely jubbly!

Talking of alcohol I have my work Christmas party later on tonight. The fun kicks off around 7.30 with dinner at 8pm and dancing until 1am. I won't be staying late though - Coran is picking me up at 11pm. I won't be boozing either (just one or two maybe) as despite my words I hate that woozy feeling that it gives you. It will be good though to see everyone outside of work and having a good time.   

It was good fun. I didn't stay late though. Coran picked me at 11pm which was about the right time for me. Neither of us are night owls and I was tired from a busy week. I managed to have a bit of a dance though. It is always good to see people outside of work.   

Hey y'all!

Tali, glad you had a great time at the party! I wish I could say that I've worked with people that I wanted to spend time with off the clock, lol! Most I could barely tolerate when we were on the clock!

I spent the afternoon milling about Barnes and Noble and picking up a few groceries. I went into Hobby Lobby to check out the new 365 Happy Planner but they didn't have anything to choose from. Then it was time to pick up hubby from work, pick up baby formula for dd and then head home. I'm now ensconced in my wholly pj's and slippers, in my recliner and watching Emma.  I see a repeat of this tomorrow. 

Sometime near the end of this week or early next week we should be closing on our house. I need to start packing up but not this weekend!

10 hours ago, Virginia said:

Hey y'all!

Tali, glad you had a great time at the party! I wish I could say that I've worked with people that I wanted to spend time with off the clock, lol! Most I could barely tolerate when we were on the clock!

I spent the afternoon milling about Barnes and Noble and picking up a few groceries. I went into Hobby Lobby to check out the new 365 Happy Planner but they didn't have anything to choose from. Then it was time to pick up hubby from work, pick up baby formula for dd and then head home. I'm now ensconced in my wholly pj's and slippers, in my recliner and watching Emma.  I see a repeat of this tomorrow. 

Sometime near the end of this week or early next week we should be closing on our house. I need to start packing up but not this weekend!

There are a few like that I must admit and it's true that a lot of them do seem to spend a lot of time sitting on their brains and not thinking about how their behaviour impacts how others do their jobs, but I guess that's par for the course. The tables were arranged so that everyone was pretty much sitting with others from their own department, most of whom in my case are men renowned for shall we say their forthrightness. I must admit this can be entertaining at times. It has certainly given me an insight into how men talk about and view women as they don't hold back just because I and the other woman in our department are there! It's all good humoured though and I find myself laughing at a lot of it as I recognise myself in a lot of what they say about their wives and girlfriends.  

It sounds like you had another busy day though. I had a nice quiet one pottering around at home - we finally got round to putting our Christmas tree up. We are going out to lunch today though, as Coran has a hearing appointment at 1pm. 

It's been a bit busy this week with lots of trips to collect our books and DIY shops to try and get as much done on the redecoration of our living room.  It's getting very close to Christmas and the house is a mess at the moment, so fingers crossed we can get it a bit better sorted soon and start to enjoy the holiday season.  Thankfully I've been more organised this year and have all my shopping and wrapping done, so I've got plenty of time for sorting and cleaning.

Congratulation Brian. :clapping:

Quietish day today, collected some more books from storage and our new shelves are now groaning!  Also picked up a Christmas tree, and splashed out on a little bit of chocolate for Christmas too.  

This afternoon will see me try to conquer the ironing mountain that has built up while renovation works have been ongoing. :weeping: 

Well Congratulations, Brian!!! 

Today was spent packing up the kitchen and emptying a couple closets. I had the little people over night and dropped them off this morning. Had to strip the bed because the baby's bottle opened up and so everything had to go to the laundry. Stopped to pick up hubby and finished drying the bedding, came home to pack more stuff. 

I'm pushing myself so I can relax this weekend. 

Staff Christmas party this evening... still haven't decided 100% if I'm going to go, because mingling amongst a group of 40 semi-sober people I don't know well in a pub  is my idea of hell, but it would be nice to see the few people I'm friends with. I bought some reindeer antlers in case I go, as there's a prize for best christmas outfit/accessory.