Can anyone help me find out why this book is worth so much?

Ambarking

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to look at my post. 

I do house clearances for a living, and often have to remove lost of books from repossessed houses, I normally just scan these into Music Magpie and send them off to them to be resold. But during my last "scanning session" one of the books I scanned which was  "German Grammar Simplified" by John Gerhard came up at £35, which is unheard, too put this in context most of the books go for 20p. 

So I searched for it on eBay and there are a few listed for over £360. So I was hoping someone out there could give me some history of the book and why it seems to be going for so much money. As I don't seem to be able to find much info online. 

Thanks in advance for any information. 

John 

Edited by Michelle
Link removed

I don't know anything about that particular book but have found that old text books generally can have a very high value. I did a quick search on a university library catalogue and it looks like Gerhard might have quite a few academic publications on German grammar. If he's quite eminent in his field and the book, being older, is out of print and hard to find, that would explain it.

• 1 month later...

There is absolutely no reason that book should be worth more than a few bucks. Advertising it for a high price may just mean the seller doesn't know it's true value, or he's trying to part a fool from his money

• 3 months later...

Hello Folks

This is my first post so please be gentle.

Ditto Litwitlou. A book of mine (that shall remain nameless because I'm not here to flog books), non-fiction published in 1999, one edition, one printing sells new on Amazon.co.uk for £9.99 and used - good condition on Amazon.com is on offer for £176.08.

I don't understand it either.

All the best with your reading.

Warmest regards

Riis

That sort of thing happens quite often.  Could be a mistake when typing in and not noticed (especially if doing a lot of books), could be somebody trying to pull a fast one (I've seen that a lot, particularly from one reseller, with Folio Society books) just to catch the odd one out, it could be that it's the hardback of the paperback, etc etc.  I just treat them all as odd anomalies.