Your public Library - grumbles or bouquets!

Booknutt

I usually try to think positive, but I'm starting this topic with a heartfelt Grumble - so bear with me gentlefolk. 

My home city - a city, mark you - has lost it's main Public Library.

As I'm not making a political statement or running for Council, I'll be discreet and call us Libraryless City for these purposes.

The facility has had its stock reduced by about half and moved into the nooks and corners of the local cinema and theatre building. I do mean nooks and corners too, we trek around the building to get to different sections, a large selection being located in the public cafe! It's cramped, and a nightmare for anyone using the computers - readers constantly passing behind and anyone free to read your business. No privacy for study or personal business.

Perhaps worst of all there is no security to protect the stock we do have. If anyone in the cafe for instance decided to finish the book they've plucked from the shelves at home, there's nothing to stop them drifting out with it, and no way to trace it. There is also no way to secure the stock when the traditional main hours are over, and the library staff gone. While the building itself is open, access to the stock is free for all. Because, of course, this is a cinema and theatre, purpose-renovated, not a library building at all. 

I think it's a massive shame for Libraryless City to be left with this shambles, plus a couple of small branch facilities on the outskirts ... but hey! the Children's Section is popular ( I do agree that's a big plus) so the adults can just cope. Yeah?  

Not yeah! Big No! Many local people have been members since childhood, or depend on a library to provide inexpensive educational or recreational books etc, 

It's a big blow for adults on a low income, or students, or the elderly, or people in-the-middle like me. In short, the kind of people Public Libraries were established for, in the first place. 

Of course this reduction of such facilities (and their expenses)  is widespread in the U.K. lately.

Libraryless City is not alone, and indeed better off, some may say, than smaller communities. 

In all cases, it's still a kick in the teeth for the adults for whom a visit to their Library was inexpensive "me" time in their lives.

A place of peace, pleasure, education and gathering with like-minded people ... Gone.

Thanks for bearing with my views on this, friends. On this occasion "progress" is a bitch! 

My local library is the main library in our county and has recent seen its operation changed to save money. The library is now only staffed for 2 full days a week and a few afternoons. Users can access the library from 9am-6pm each day but we need to swipe in with a card and input a pin number. I don't have a problem with this system per se, except for the fact that it now means if you have query you have to ensure you are there when staff are available. It's a sad indictment that when money is short, one of the first things councils go after is libraries. A lot of young and old people use the library and they are the ones who will suffer the most.

I truly LOVE my library and have to give it a bouquet! 

Not only does my library offer books, an amazing selection of video and audio, a wonderful children's department, they also have employment training classes, computer classes, they are linked with social services (workers meet applicants in one of the many meeting rooms) 10+ meeting rooms on each floor (4 levels) a room dedicated to local and state history, about at least 50 computers, free printing (10 sheets per day) free fax (state and national) they offer extracurricular classes for kids in traditional school and homeschools. We are opening a cafe in a few weeks (what could be better?). Another plus is that it offers inclement weather shelter for the homeless during open hours. They don't bother the patrons and we do have security all around. 

The walls are used to hang up local artwork, sculptures and such. The seating is very comfortable and one could get lost in whatever for hours! My grands LOVE it as much as I do! This library branch is the main branch but the county has about a dozen or more scattered throughout. They have all recently been remodeled. They are all connected so I can drop off or pick up at any location. When we decided to stay in the city, this was one of my pro reasons! 

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article150555457.html

High school was not my favorite place. I hated it so much I rarely showed up and never graduated.  I'd leave after signing in to home room so I'd be marked present for the day

and they wouldn't call my house. Most days, I'd walk to the town library. It was a rather small town with a rather small library, but I was a rather young reader so there were plenty of things I hadn't read. I spent hour after hour, day after day, sitting in that library.  The librarians must have known I should have been in school but they never said a word about it. God bless them. 

People didn't get why I would ditch school only to go read in the library. It made perfect sense to me. Still does.

The town I live in now is tiny. There is only one school, K-8, and the school library and town library are one in the same.  The library is as tiny as the town. But if you really want a book, a librarian will track it down, call the library that has it, tell them to reserve it for you, and give you a special borrowing pass.  Every librarian I've ever spoken with has been pleasant and helpful. They will find the book you want, and a way get it into your hands, if at all possible.

So I give bouquets to every library. But especially, I'd like to give bouquets, along with my heartfelt appreciation and gratitude, to every librarian.   

• 1 month later...

My fellow readers I do feel for you all. Brian, I agree your situation is disgraceful. Libraries after all were established for the not-wealthy in the first place. It's the better off and those who don't care about reading who vote them reduced or closed. Unfair, but true.

Virginia and Litwitlou lovely to hear of your warm relationship with your own libraries, both large and small. Non readers really don't know what they're missing, do they?

Share your own stories here folks ... We're :readingtwo: and listening too.