Christmas Reads/Books

Inver

Does anyone have any Christmas books they like to read in December or do you have a wishlist of books for Santa...:xmassmile: I've been having a browse in Waterstones this week looking for ideas and I ended up buying Hercule Poirot's Christmas for hubby. It has a lovely cover and I hope he enjoys it.

I've seen a few titles I might add to my Santa list...:xmassmile:

'Another Little Christmas Murder' Lorna Nicholl Morgan

'A Christmas Party' by Georgette Meyer

'Murder in the Snow' Gladys Mitchell

'Mystery in White' by J Jefferson Farjeon

It was the covers that attracted me...some are really old fashioned looking.

I do plan on reading Christmas books in December :grinhat:! I don't know yet exactly which ones, but most will probably be rom-com kind of books, or maybe a mystery.

I haven't made a wishlist for Christmas as we don't do presents for Christmas in my family, though I have bought myself some books recently (so maybe that counts :P).

I hope your husband enjoys Hercule Poirot's Christmas! I've yet to read that one. Maybe this year?

I don't know any of the books on your list, but if you get them, I hope you enjoy them :xmassmile:.

I've got a few lined up: two short story collections, one by P D James, the other by a mixture of authors, and a British Library Classic, but I can't remember the title at the moment, but it has a lovely snowy cover!

I have two murder mysteries lined up:  The Man With a Load of Mischief by Martha Grimes, and Tied Up in Tinsel by Ngaio Marsh.  I'm looking forward to them.  I haven't read Ngaio Marsh before, but I've heard her style is similar to Agatha Christie, so we'll see.

Inver, I've read both Hercule Poirot's Christmas and Mystery in White.  Both were enjoyable -- although the former didn't feel particularly Christmassy!

I'll also be re-reading The Gift of the Magi at some point.  I bought a beautifully illustrated edition of it last year.

I’ve already read The Girl Who Saved Christmas by Matt Haig, and Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe.  The Midnight Peacock by Katherine Woodfine is set around Christmas/New Year too, and I read that one a couple of weeks ago.  I don’t think I’ve got any others on my TBR but I’ll see if I can find something this weekend :) 

12 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

Inver, I've read both Hercule Poirot's Christmas and Mystery in White.  Both were enjoyable -- although the former didn't feel particularly Christmassy!

I think I've heard that not being very Christmassy but I loved the cover. Love your name by the way...:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm very grateful for all my pressies...but.....nobody gave me any of the books I listed above....:unsure:...looks like they ignored the list. Might have to go browse in Waterstones myself then..:mrgreen:

On 12/26/2017 at 11:53 PM, Inver said:

I'm very grateful for all my pressies...but.....nobody gave me any of the books I listed above....:unsure:...looks like they ignored the list. Might have to go browse in Waterstones myself then..:mrgreen:

Sounds like an excellent idea @Inver!  My other half normally buys me books for Christmas but he was too busy decorating this year, so I went out yesterday and used my stamp cards and reward points to treat myself to a selection instead. :giggle2: 

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:15 PM, chesilbeach said:

Sounds like an excellent idea @Inver!  My other half normally buys me books for Christmas but he was too busy decorating this year, so I went out yesterday and used my stamp cards and reward points to treat myself to a selection instead. :giggle2: 

This could be me soon....I've seen there is a new paperback for Diane Chamberlain coming out on the 11th Jan...The Stolen Marriage, so that could well be my 'me to me' pressie...:guess:

On 12/30/2017 at 3:03 PM, Inver said:

This could be me soon....I've seen there is a new paperback for Diane Chamberlain coming out on the 11th Jan...The Stolen Marriage, so that could well be my 'me to me' pressie...:guess:

I've just pre-ordered it :D. I hope you like it if you decide to get it :xmassmile:.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:22 PM, Athena said:

I've just pre-ordered it :D. I hope you like it if you decide to get it :xmassmile:.

Just ordered it to pick up at my local Waterstones....any excuse to visit a book shop....:giggle2:

@Athena....the deed is done I bought my 'The Stolen Marriage' by Diane Chamberlain (my Christmas pressie to myself :present:), but oops you know how it is when you see a 'buy one get one half price'...and I did. The other book is 'Friend Request' by Laura Marshall. Sounds like a good read going by the comments inside the cover.

19 hours ago, Inver said:

@Athena....the deed is done I bought my 'The Stolen Marriage' by Diane Chamberlain (my Christmas pressie to myself :present:), but oops you know how it is when you see a 'buy one get one half price'...and I did. The other book is 'Friend Request' by Laura Marshall. Sounds like a good read going by the comments inside the cover.

I got mine too :). I hope you enjoy both books :D!

• 9 months later...

I generally don't read 'seasonal' books but having just read Dracula for Halloween I really fancy reading a Christmas book this year. I'm not decided on what to read but I'm edging towards A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

I love A Christmas Carol and would definitely recommend it. I'm going for a Christmas-themed book too this year with the short story collection Ghosts of Christmas Past. It caught my attention in a charity shop, mainly because Neil Gaiman is one of the authors included. 

I'm glad you brought up Christmas @Brian., I think that means it's officially time to open all the Christmas discussions for 2018 :cheers:

LIned up so far:

Christmas Card Crime - British Library short stories

The Christmas Secret - Karen Swan

House of Christmas Secrets - Lynda Stacey

Over Sea, Under Stone - Susan Cooper (not Christmassy as such but apparently it's set around the Winter Solstice so the time of year is appropriate)

Edited by Madeleine

• 1 year later...

My seasonal reads this year will be:

A re-read of A Christmas Malice by John Bainbridge, because I thought it captured the festive spirit so well when I read it last year.

An English Murder by Cyril Hare.  Posh people, country house, Christmas, murder.  You know, the usual.  

The Remaking of Corbin Wale by Roan Parrish.  An LGBT+ romance set around Christmastime.  This is a late addition, because A Christmas Malice is only a short read, so I'll have time left over (being a slow reader and all).