What’s Up in November 2017

chesilbeach

Good afternoon all!

I'm back! I'm sorry to disappear for so long but my life change completely four months ago ! Now I live in Amsterdam with my boyfriend! (I'm from Spain for all those who doesn't know).

To sum up everything a little, we wanted to emigrate for so long because I was jobless in Spain and in general the situation in Spain is far from good. Finally my boyfriend found a job in Amsterdam and we decided to take the opportunity. Once we got here I started to look for a job and I found one in only two weeks! Awesome! Plus it's the job that I ever wanted to have! The downside it's that it's a temporary contract so in February I'll have to find another one...

We share a house with another men for 3 months and finally now we have an appartment for ourselves in the center. But we recently moved so we're still with a lot of fuss (hiring internet and everything...) .

Now we are trying to getting used to the cold in Amsterdam, the sooner that it's darker and getting around with a bike jajaja.

I'm glad that all of you are fine and I hope to be around more often now!

Welcome back Sabry and glad to hear that things are looking up for you.

Coran and I had a typical quiet weekend that wasn't long enough. I spent most of it reading a rather good book from The Seychelles. I also booked another holiday - not to The Seychelles, which is a little too expensive and luxurious for my tastes, but to Montenegro. I booked the apartment actually a few weeks ago, but finally got round to booking the flight as well now that our credit card has been processed. Montenegro is south of Croatia where I went in September. I thought about doing a day trip while I was there, but there was so much to see in Croatia that I didn't have the time, which is why I have decided to go next year instead. EasyJet fly there from Gatwick on Mondays and Thursdays, so as I don't like the heat of southern European summers, and to avoid taking extra days off, I am going for the first May Bank Holiday. It looks beautiful out there with lots of great walks and views, so should be right up my street.     

I wish you a great holiday :)!

Some of you may remember my grandfather falling down and injuring himself, he needed surgery and after the surgery he needed to spend some weeks at a centre to learn to walk again. I'm happy to report my grandfather is back home now and he is doing well :).

Hey y'all! 

Great news Gaia!

Things have been crazy. Got a call last night. DD had a kitchen fire. Stove and microwave gone, big ugly hole in the wall, some smoke damage and a little water damage. The kids and dog are safe. The roads were blocked off when we got there. She's a nervous wreck but that's to be expected. She was trying to get every thing ready for her hubby's return last night. He was on his way home for Thanksgiving. The neighbors are stepping in and helping with meals and such. The littles are with me and hubby.

On a GREAT note, my BFF's daughter (22 years old) just signed with Janklow and Nesbit as a YA author. They are talking books and movies. She's been in negotiations for a couple months and made her decision today. The amazing thing is that THEY contacted HER! She is such a talented and amazing young lady. Her mother and I homeschooled our kids together. She is the same age as our youngest son. Even though she was homeschooled with my youngest, WE graduated this year from university. She walked behind me, lol! How crazy is that?!!

So, its a rainbow kind of day.

Edited by Virginia

Afternoon all :)  

Wow, lots going on here! Welcome back Sabry, great news about your granddad, Athena and :o to the fire, Virginia!

I've not been around much lately as I've been preoccupied with stuff at work. I handed my notice in on Tuesday to my job of 10 years, which was a daunting prospect, but was actually fine in the end! :cool:I start my next job on 19th December, which is closer to home, more money & better future prospects, though it is a bit scary as it's likely to be much harder. Still, I was losing motivation at my current place, so something had to change. Plus, my husband works there (albeit in a different team), so I have a bit of inside knowledge, which will help. :)

23 hours ago, Virginia said:

Hey y'all! 

Great news Gaia!

Things have been crazy. Got a call last night. DD had a kitchen fire. Stove and microwave gone, big ugly hole in the wall, some smoke damage and a little water damage. The kids and dog are safe. The roads were blocked off when we got there. She's a nervous wreck but that's to be expected. She was trying to get every thing ready for her hubby's return last night. He was on his way home for Thanksgiving. The neighbors are stepping in and helping with meals and such. The littles are with me and hubby.

On a GREAT note, my BFF's daughter (22 years old) just signed with Janklow and Nesbit as a YA author. They are talking books and movies. She's been in negotiations for a couple months and made her decision today. The amazing thing is that THEY contacted HER! She is such a talented and amazing young lady. Her mother and I homeschooled our kids together. She is the same age as our youngest son. Even though she was homeschooled with my youngest, WE graduated this year from university. She walked behind me, lol! How crazy is that?!!

So, its a rainbow kind of day.

Yikes and wow ! Commiserations and congrats. :) 

50 minutes ago, More reading time required said:

Afternoon all :)  

Wow, lots going on here! Welcome back Sabry, great news about your granddad, Athena and :o to the fire, Virginia!

I've not been around much lately as I've been preoccupied with stuff at work. I handed my notice in on Tuesday to my job of 10 years, which was a daunting prospect, but was actually fine in the end! :cool:I start my next job on 19th December, which is closer to home, more money & better future prospects, though it is a bit scary as it's likely to be much harder. Still, I was losing motivation at my current place, so something had to change. Plus, my husband works there (albeit in a different team), so I have a bit of inside knowledge, which will help. :)

Congrats, Michelle ! :D 

17 hours ago, More reading time required said:

Congratulations :)! I hope you will like your new job :).

Congrats on the new job MRTR.

I have had a productive weekend. Yesterday Coran and I went into Guildford to stock up on Lush goodies and for a general look around the sales. We also had a rather nice lunch in our favourite veggie restaurant. :)

Then this afternoon I finally managed to sit down and sort out my taxes - it's unusual for me to leave it this late. I have a refund of £141 though to look forward to, which almost covers the cost of the Sigur Ros concert ticket when I go to see them one month tomorrow - yes, I really did pay that much (ouch). It will be worth it though. This time next month I will just about be landing at Keflavik, which I am really looking forward to. If I am really lucky I might get to see the Northern Lights as well. :clapping:  

Edited by Talisman

12 hours ago, Talisman said:

Then this afternoon I finally managed to sit down and sort out my taxes - it's unusual for me to leave it this late. I have a refund of £141 though to look forward to, which almost covers the cost of the Sigur Ros concert ticket when I go to see them one month tomorrow - yes, I really did pay that much (ouch). It will be worth it though. This time next month I will just about be landing at Keflavik, which I am really looking forward to. If I am really lucky I might get to see the Northern Lights as well. :clapping:  

It's nice you'll be getting that money :). I wish you a great trip in advance!

I've had a bit of a busy weekend and this upcoming week will be busy too (for me). I talked with some people during the weekend and we went to the local market to buy some groceries. To be honest I think I might feel glad after the week is over, but the holidays and some birthdays are also approaching so we'll see how I feel.

I haven't mentioned the cycle path in a while, but they have slowly been making progress further up in the street, the past few weeks, though the past week it seems not much has happened. I wonder when they'll finish up the fence in our back garden.

A day out at the Bath Christmas Market for me today.  I picked the wrong time to travel, and got stuck in traffic on my way and took me 50% longer than it normally would, but once I got there, had a lovely time.  It was actually my second visit but this time it was for shopping rather than browsing.  I like to get there early to avoid the crowds, but it doesn't open until 10am, so plenty of people there already when the stalls opened.  Fortunately, I knew exactly which stalls I wanted to buy things from so it was a doddle to get what I wanted without too many people in the way.  I think I've done all my Christmas shopping now, so I'll be trying to get all my cards written and sent, and all my gifts wrapped this week, and then I enjoy the build up to Christmas without worry, and I might have time to do some extra things that normally fall by the wayside, such as baking my own mince pies and maybe even a bûche de Noël! :smile2: 

We're in the middle of decorating the front room at the moment, but the bookshelves are all built and painting is now in progress.  Really hoping that it'll be finished and I can get my books out of storage in the next few weeks - it's terrible not having any bookshelf space!  I've got books I've bought since the summer plied everywhere - on coffee tables, on the piano and even on one of the armchairs. :roll: 

Back home now, and just contemplating whether to light the fire in the woodburner tonight.  Probably not quite cold enough for it, as it gets very warm when it's on and if the temperatures aren't cold enough outside, we end up melting halfway through the evening. :D

There are a lot of colds around at the moment - a lot of people have been off sick where I work, although so far I have managed to avoid it.

I am glad though that the working week is over - I am knackered as I walked almost 5 miles today doing various things. It isn't put your feet up time quite yet though, as Coran and I are going to see an Abba tribute band tonight, which should be great fun if I have the energy!    

18 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

Woke up this morning with the start of a cold.  I've been sneezing and snuffling all day.  At least I don't have a sore throat or any other symptoms yet, but definitely hoping I don't develop them!

I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.

17 hours ago, Talisman said:

I am glad though that the working week is over - I am knackered as I walked almost 5 miles today doing various things. It isn't put your feet up time quite yet though, as Coran and I are going to see an Abba tribute band tonight, which should be great fun if I have the energy!    

I wish you a lovely weekend :). Did you enjoy the Abba tribute band?

I also wish everyone else a lovely weekend :)!

The past week has been a relatively busy one, so I look forward to resting a bit this weekend, besides doing some usual chores.

22 hours ago, Athena said:

I wish you a lovely weekend :). Did you enjoy the Abba tribute band?

It was brilliant - everyone loves Abba after all. They played most of my favourites. Coran and I were right at the back in the last row which meant that no one moaned when we got up to dance. It also meant we had a pretty good view. They are playing at the same venue apparently next December, so we shall have to get tickets for that one as well. The next live show I go to will of course be Sigur Ros in Iceland - 26 days to go! :yahoo:I have ordered a new Down (synthetic) jacket to take with me as my old is starting to get some holes in the lining. It was a bargain at £29.99 reduced from £120. I do love it when I get a good bargain. I have been looking around for a good travel tripod as well, as with only 5 hours of daylight and extended 2 hour sunrises and sunsets there will be some great opportunities for low light photography - not to mention of course the possibility of Northern Lights. :D