Your Book Activity - November 2017

chesilbeach

Finished The Dancing Bear by Frances Faviell. A really good read too.

Next book to read is Village Christmas and Other Notes on the English Year.

by Laurie Lee.

Edited by Marie H

I'm reading Murder on the Orient Express. I've only just started, but I really like the atmosphere - and Poirot's honesty!

It's part of a collection of Poirot stories. I took it from the library for this specific story, but might read the others too.

I'm having a huge book lover's dilemma. A few years ago, I read the Night Watch series by Sergey Lukyanenko. I read the first three books in Dutch, because they only have the Dutch book in the library. I couldn't find the fourth, so I bought it in English. It was a complicated story, though, and it had been a while since I'd read the Dutch books, so I wanted to re-read before reading the fourth book. Now I want to buy the first three books in English so I can read them all in English. However, looking on The Book Depository and Amazon, the author has written two more books in the series. So I'd need to buy five books, and this month I really can't afford to spend 50 euros on books. Well, I can afford it technically - it's more a matter of I shouldn't. 

I was thinking of buying them one at a time, since The Book Depository has free shipping. But I know I'll want to read all the books in one go and The Book Depository can take quite a while to deliver, and the delivery times are different every time. I'm going to London in two weeks, and I always have a budget for books then, so I might buy them there.

Aargh, what to do, what to do...

I've just read a really unusual book called "The Libran" by Alan Hywel.  Totally off my usual genre but it was unexpectedly very good and gripping!   It was actually recommended to me by one of my friends and I wasn't sure reading the first chapter, but by chapter 8 I couldn't put it down.    Just about to start another Mitch Albom book - Tuesdays with Morrie and must remember the box of hankies - last time I read one of his books I was in tears lol :-) xx  

18 hours ago, willoyd said:

Having finished David Goodhart's The Road to Somewhere (5/6), I've now moved on to Susan Hill's second volume on her reading: Jacob's Room is Full of Books.

I've put Jacob's Room is Full of Books on my wishlist for Christmas, so fingers crossed one of my lovely friends will get it for my gift this year. :)

I'm in the middle of reading Autumn by Ali Smith (which is brilliant). On a self imposed book buying ban until after Christmas ... or at least until I get my bookshelves built and I've got space for some more!  I've got a couple of full stamp cards and quite a lot of points on my reward card for Waterstones, so I'll be able to have a guilt free splurge once I have space to store some new books. :lol:  

20 hours ago, Raven said:

When you spend so long in the bath reading it's too late to cook anything so you have a cheese and ham sarnie for your supper...

You're a braver reader than I am! I always worry my book will get wet or I will drop in the bath.

Started The Dead Detective by JR Rain yesterday, loving it so far. Woman detective gets shot in the heart, and somehow doesn't die. Her Captain tells her to take a few days off and then work on her own case, cos he says the hiring freeze means replacing her would be difficult. So, she's trying to keep her Undeadness a secret, whilst solving her own homicide. :lol:

Finished Jacob's Room Is Full of Books this morning, my 60th book of the year (only the second time I've done that before the end of November!).  Have to say, I was, very surprisingly, deeply disappointed, and awarded it just 2 stars (saved from one star by its usefulness).  My reasons are in the review I've posted here.

I watched the first Paddington film on DVD last night, and almost died laughing.  That bathroom scene is as good as in the book!  We're aiming to go and see the second film next week when it's on at our local cinema, but in the meantime, I think I'll go and read the next book in the series that I'm rereading (and loving!).  That'll be a quick one evening read, and then perhaps another Maigret (overdue) and then into my book group's choice for December, Marilynne Robinson's Housekeeping

I finished the brilliant Autumn by Ali Smith today.  I genuinely believe she is our greatest living writer in English.  Can't believe that Lincoln in the Bardo beat this for the Man Booker Prize this year.

I've also finished listening to A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig, and have a few Jenny Colgan Christmas books lined up to listen to while wrapping and writing cards. :xmassmile:

Oh, I almost forgot!  I also bought How To Be A Heroine by Samantha Ellis today.  It's a non-fiction book that's been taunting me for weeks from the bookshelf next to my favourite table in the Waterstones Café W, so I finally succumbed today.

I also meant to mention that I follow Robert Macfarlane on Twitter and he's going to run a bookclub/reading group for a group read of The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper starting on Midwinter Eve (20th December this year) when the book itself is set, so I'm going to join in.  My OH is a big fan of the book as well, and as our copy is in storage (I have it on my kindle), I also bought a new copy so he can join in the read-along too! :D