Your Book Activity - November 2017

chesilbeach

Lately I've been reading a bunch of Lisa Jewell books. I'm really enjoying them. So far I've read The House We Grew Up In, I Found You, and The Girls (in the garden). My favourite was also the first one I read - I Found You. I just loved the characters! I'd love to read more mystery/thrillers by her, as the other two were a little more character-driven and not as exciting.

I've started making a list of graphic novels I want, and picked up Through the Wood by Emily Carroll yesterday, and I've also bought five Deadpool comic collections in the last couple of weeks. That's not going to be an expensive hobby at all :roll:

At the moment I'm focusing on reading Lost Girls, the third in the D.I Kim Stone series. Really enjoying it, as always.

1 hour ago, Nollaig said:

Lately I've been reading a bunch of Lisa Jewell books. I'm really enjoying them. So far I've read The House We Grew Up In, I Found You, and The Girls (in the garden). My favourite was also the first one I read - I Found You. I just loved the characters! I'd love to read more mystery/thrillers by her, as the other two were a little more character-driven and not as exciting.

I'm glad you enjoyed her books :). As far as I know, some of Lisa Jewell's books are not thrillers but more contemporary fiction (or rom-coms), so you saying those other two books were more character-driven, makes sense to me. I have The House We Grew Up In classed as 'contemporary fiction', not a thriller (but then, I'm sometimes wrong about genres, so who knows. I'll have to read the book to find out :P).

Today I'm reading the November chapter of Gretchen Rubin - The Happiness Project, since today it's the 1rst of November.

8 minutes ago, Athena said:

I'm glad you enjoyed her books :). As far as I know, some of Lisa Jewell's books are not thrillers but more contemporary fiction (or rom-coms), so you saying those other two books were more character-driven, makes sense to me. I have The House We Grew Up In classed as 'contemporary fiction', not a thriller (but then, I'm sometimes wrong about genres, so who knows. I'll have to read the book to find out :P).

The House We Grew Up In is definitely not a thriller, very much drama/fiction. The Girls has a bit of a mystery at the heart of it, and I Found You is full on thriller/mystery. So I liked I Found You the most, The House We Grew Up In the least and The Girls in the middle. They got five, four and three stars reflecting that. Still, she's an excellent writer, the characters in House just didn't appeal so much.

I finished Under the Radar by James Hamilton-Paterson this morning. Further thoughts on it will be in my thread at some point later today.

I also popped into the library this morning and picked up 3 books, chosen completely at random. One is a non-fiction book about chess. I play a bit but I'm not very good so I am always trying to improve. The other two are You Sent Me a Letter by Lucy Dawson and, Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle.

With my 3 books on the go experiment, I found I was favouring one book above the others, so I finished Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb at the weekend, and since then I've been trying to concentrate on reading A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan as that was the one I was most behind on (it would also be nice to have read at least one TWoT book this year so I feel I'm making progress). Though that does mean that I've not read any Wolves of the Calla for a while. :rolleyes:

The Monster Club was a fun re-read for me; I'd forgotten a great deal of it.  So now that my Halloween reading is over and done with, it's on to Midnighter and Apollo for some superhero action.  After that -- I dunno.  I'll have to scour my shelves, see how the mood takes me.  :) 

Finished We Have Always Lived in the Castle yesterday.  Unsettling at times, but not horrifying as I was expecting.  

Today, I've started the last of the Sinclair Mysteries by Katherine Woodfine, The Midnight Peacock.  I've loved this series, and a bit sad that the end has come after only four books, so making sure I savour this last instalment and excited to see what Woodfine will write next!

10 hours ago, frankie said:

I've started reading A Boy Made of Blocks by Keith Stuart. It's about a father and his autistic son, and his attempt to connect with him. Very good so far! 

I haven't heard a lot about this book but I look forward to your review when you've finished it :). I'm glad you like it so far!

I haven't read (any books) in about a week, because I've been busy. I did however buy books and was gifted books for my birthday (will post about it in my thread later).

I'm just past the halfway mark with Shutter Island, and am enjoying it, although some of the dialogue is strange and unrealistic.  (If I find fault with a book, then it tends usually to be with the dialogue.  Perhaps that's because I'm a dialogue writer!) 

It won't take too long to finish, so I'll be able to squeeze in something else before my Christmas reading.  :) 

On 11/6/2017 at 6:15 PM, chesilbeach said:

Finished The Midnight Peacock yesterday, and am now reading The Girl Who Saved Christmas by Matt Haig, which @poppyshake gave me for Christmas last year :smile2: 

Ooh that reminds me Claire ... I've got it on the shelf to read :D

I'm reading Nigel Slater's The Christmas Chronicles .. part recipe book but part homage to Winter! :coolsnow: It's fabulous :)

I have started on my Christmas books held over from last year.  The first one I read was

The Cat of Yule Cottage by Lili Hayward  - don't let the book cover fool you into thinking this is a Christmas story it isn't I could have read this anytime of the year.  Oh well it is read now and was a nice book.

I finished Shutter Island -- and oh boy, I enjoyed that twisty ending!  I was thinking maybe a double twist, but no.  Good stuff.  4/5

I'm just about to start The Ballad of the Sad Cafe by Carson McCullers.  It's the Penguin Classics edition with other stories included, but it's still fairly short, so I'll easily finish it before the end of the month.

On 11/3/2017 at 2:49 PM, chesilbeach said:

Finished We Have Always Lived in the Castle yesterday.  Unsettling at times, but not horrifying as I was expecting.  

It's very subtle though, isn't it?

I finished Life: An Unauthorised Biography by Richard Fortey which I really enjoyed. Now I'm reading The End of the World Running Club which is pretty good!