Michelle

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 months later...

I started reading John Wyndham's books back in the mid 1960s. Some I have re -read, the Chrysalids several times.

The most well-known ones disappeared from my bookshelves sometime in the 1990s (around the time my sons let home!?). The Chrysalids I replaced, to read for a bookgroup about 15 years ago, and gradually picked up others from second-hand bookshops etc.,  as well as some of his lesser known books.

They all, surprisingly, survived a major book-cull when we 'downsized' about five years ago, I have no idea why, as I am unlikely to read them again - my eyes can no longer cope with the tiny print of older editions.

There are still a couple of gaps in the collection, but I am unlikely to add to it now.

I really need to go back and try The Kraken Wakes again. Tried to read it as a teenager in the 80s after The Triffids and couldn't  get into it. 

1 hour ago, ian said:

I really need to go back and try The Kraken Wakes again. Tried to read it as a teenager in the 80s after The Triffids and couldn't  get into it. 

Well worth the effort, and - although the cause is different - very topical now.

I think Willoyd read it a while back and posted a review. 

I read The Kraken Awakes towards the end of last year and I really liked it. I particularly liked the way that not everything is revealed, just as it would be in real life. This is what I wrote.

The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham (4/5)

Ships start sinking for no apparent reason and strange lights are seen above the deepest parts of the ocean. Some kind of alien life form has arrived on earth and the human race doesn't know how to deal with it. I assumed, wrongly, that this would be about some deep water uber squid attacking ships due in no small part to the rum. I really enjoyed this book, it's the exact kind of classic sicence fiction that really gets my juices flowing and I can instantly see how it has served as an influence for other Sci-Fi writers.

17 hours ago, Raven said:

I think Willoyd read it a while back and posted a review. 

6 hours ago, Brian. said:

I read The Kraken Awakes towards the end of last year and I really liked it. 

Damn, I knew it was one of the two of you - I guessed the wrong one!

Edited by Raven