John Wyndham

Michelle

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Day of the Triffids was the first of Wyndham's that I read, many years ago.  I only recently read The Midwich Cuckoos and The Kraken Wakes, and loved them as well, although Triffids has to by my favorite.  :)  One day I'll get to the rest!

The Day of the Triffids was the first of Wyndham's that I read, many years ago.  I only recently read The Midwich Cuckoos and The Kraken Wakes, and loved them as well, although Triffids has to by my favorite.  :)  One day I'll get to the rest!

The Trouble with Lichen is an interesting read.  Lots of gender and social politics.

Doh!

No, sorry, The Day of the Triffids (I thought I was posting in a Day of the Triffids thread!).

Thanks, Raven.   I hated the BBC version and wish someone would do a decent version, so here's hoping. :)

I've just ordered The Trouble with Lichen from Ebay (with Peter Lord cover that I'm collecting).  I've enjoyed the three Wyndham's I've read so far very much. 

Fair comment, although it does look a little dated these days. There again do I really want to see Johnny Depp playing Bill Masen?

No - I'll stay with the book.

Johnny Depp would almost certainly mean Tim Burton directing, which could be........interesting. Not necessarily good, but interesting! And as long as it isn't Tom Cruise........

It needs to be British, first and foremost in my mind, so hopefully that would exclude Tom Cruise.

From your mouth to God's ear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I read The Kraken Wakes and I felt, that The War of The Worlds told a more compelling story.

It is a better plotted novel that has the benefit of an actual resolution, but the movie adaptations are still lacking (although I do really enjoy the 50s version).

• 4 years later...

Well, I've been putting it off for years, as there is no new content out there to read* but I finally started The Chrysalids this week.  I'm now nearly half way through, having done most of that in one sitting, and I don't want this book to end - I've not enjoyed a book this much for ages!

*Well, there is some, but it is not supposed to be that great!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 20/07/2018 at 3:08 PM, bobblybear said:

I bought this the other day - only £0.99 on Kindle. Glad you are enjoying it...it's fairly short from what I recall (< 100 pages?).

Only just seen this, I blame that on the whole - thankfully - aborted forum closure! 

I think the paperback is closer to 200 pages, but by today's standards it is more of a draft excluder than a doorstop. 

I really enjoyed this, some very interesting ideas, but I felt the ending was a little light-weight. 

Must do a complete read through of Wyndham's books. Something for 2019, perhaps!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 7:28 PM, Raven said:

I think the paperback is closer to 200 pages, but by today's standards it is more of a draft excluder than a doorstop. 

It's definitely longer than the 100 pages I mentioned above, even though that's what Amazon says it is. I can remember wondering why it was taking me so long to finish if it was only a hundred pages. :lol:

• 1 year later...

*gasp*

triffids.thumb.jpg.503808df34dc1f32289aec75e31cf8e1.jpg

Really surprised someone has gone to the length of remastering this, given the BBC seem to put very little out on Blu-ray, but I'm not complaining!

If anyone hasn't seen it, this is by far the best adaptation of Triffids anyone has done.

Release date Monday 7th September.