John Wyndham

Michelle

The Chrysalids was one of the books I read whilst doing my English Literature GCSE, and so when I saw a chance to buy it as part of a box set from Kell, I jumped at the chance.

I've just finished it, and have now started looking at the rest. These include Chocky, which I've almost finished, The Day of the Triffids (which I remember seeing on the TV when younger, and loving it!), and The Midwich Cuckoos, which was mde into the film Village of the Damned.

They are fairly short books (Chocky, for example is 152 pages), and very readable. I'm not sure who he intended these for, but would think they would appeal to both teenagers (remembering my GCSE years!), and adults alike.

Obviously Kell enjoyed these, and I'd like to hear more for her. Has anyone else read them?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chocky was a fave of mine when I was just tiny - the thought of some benevolententity from another planet helping to shape the minds of youngsters here in Earth & helping them progress just fascinated me.

Day of the Triffids became another firm favourite & I opted to study it as part of my Standard Grade English (we had to do a major book report/interpretation thing). There's just something special about that one.

The Midwich Cuckoos was my 3rd fave in the set & I've loved various versions of the movie too (there was one starring Christopher Reeve which was a littlecheesy but still a great watch).

The others I wasn't quite so keen on, but they were great for diving into.

• 2 years later...

For me Day of the Triffids remains one of the definitive 'end of world' scenario books. I doubt you will find better anywhere.

I am always surprised that Hollywood haven't really picked up on the story. After all, they did it with War of the Worlds.

I read Day of the Triffids for CSE English back in... 1981, I think. I can't remember an awful lot about it, but would like to re-read it again one day. I've re-read a couple of books I studied back then and think I definitely appreciate them more now I'm older!

My boyfriend's reading Day of the Triffids currently and he says he's very impressed with it!

Unfortunately, haven't read it myself. However, I did read/do have one of his other books: Chocky. My school were giving away their old copies of it so I managed to get one and I remember reading it and really liking it (although this was a few years ago now)...

I remember watching 'Chocky' after school in my younger years and it was not until recently I found out it was John Wyndham that wrote the books. I liked both movies based on 'The Midwich Cuckoos' and the series of 'The Day of the Triffids' is fantastic, it was repeated on UK Drama or Gold not so long ago.

I have not read any of his books but I would like to read 'Day of the Triffids':D

Edited by Weave
I wrote 'books' instead of 'years'

Fair comment, although it does look a little dated these days.

Ooh, I just realised. Were you referring to the 1980s BBC TV version or the 1960s Hollywood movie? I was talking about the 1950s movie version as being the one that I love.

I saw the BBC TV version recently and I have to say that it does look very dated (more so than the 1960s version!), although that might be my dislike of anything 1980s shining through :welcome2: The BBC version is much more in accordance with the book, but I can't help preferring the movie version :D

Good call on this topic Michelle3.gif

I just bought 'The Day of the Triffids' and 'The Chrysalids'

by John Wyndham

1779180153_3b6e340a73.jpg

^How cool is the cover (its not the picture from amazon)

That is a nice cover, Gyre. Mine is the Penguin Modern Classics version with a close-up pic of a triffid.

I'd really like to track down a copy of Chocky - it sounds really good.

I have now read 'The Chrysalids' and 'The Midwich Cuckoos' by John Wyndham

The Chrysalids:

I really enjoyed it, I thought the way it was written was brilliant, the views the townspeople had against mutants but they accepted other things without question. The whole true image was interesting, what is the true image? The main character was David, who narrated the story which I enjoyed, you could see him growing up and his views changing.

The Midwich Cuckoos:

I liked it but it was very long in parts. I liked Gordon Zellaby, he went on a few tangents but they were interesting. The whole idea of the children was good, yes they are aliens but they don't look like aliens (apart from their golden coloured eyes), it was hard to find a balance for the characters, they are aliens but they are still children, quite thought provoking. I thought the ending was abrupt but it got the meaning across and that is the main thing.

:D

I love John Wyndham, though I think he's one of those authors whose most famous books are his most famous with good reason: The Day of the Triffids, The Chrysalids, The Midwich Cuckoos. The others, like The Kraken Wakes (Triffids-by-the-Sea really), Chocky (a bit too kiddy) and Trouble with Lichen aren't up to the same standard.

For me The Chrysalids is his masterpiece. I fondly remember the first time I read it, when I didn't know to begin with whether the book was set in the past, the future or on another world. It's wonderful to discover the elements of the story as the author intended, and I urge anyone reading it not to read the back cover blurb first. Of course that means I can't really say much more about it either, but it's a fascinating indictment of religious fundamentalism, an investigation into genetic engineering, an exploration of social conformity and so many other things, and all in less than 200 pages of highly readable prose. Just terrific!

• 3 months later...

I first read Day of the Triffids when I was at Uni, and since then I've probably re-read it every couple of years, on average.

After reading Triffids I went on a bit of a Wydham Bender*, and quickly worked my way through The Kraken Wakes, The Midwich Cuckoos and Web, before I deliberately decided to start rationing myself to a book every few years to stop myself reading his entire back catalogue in one hit!

Of his other novels, The Kraken Wakes has to be my favourite (after Triffids, of course) and I can definitely recommend the BBC audio adaptation for those who have enjoyed the book.

I've recently read Chocky and the short story Random Quest (the later after having seen the BBC3 adaptation of it) and ejoyed both, although Chocky really hasn't dated well.

I think I like his writing because it is very much of it's day, but at the same time brilliantly inventive.

Next up on the list is The Chrysalids, or The Trouble with Lichen - I've not made my mind up yet.

*A Wydham Bender is not a form of cocktail, but more like a small glass of sherry to be taken before dinner. The after effects leave one with a disconcerting habit of greeting people by saying "Wotcher!" and calling everyone "Old Chap".

I finally read 'The Day of the Triffids' and I really enjoyed it. The feeling of fear was brilliantly brought across, you did not know what to expect.:D

I read Chocky when I was little and adored it, but haven't read any others. Which would you recommend to read next?

If you haven't read Triffids, then that is the first book I would recommend. If you aren't in the mood for walking plants and prefer freaky children though, The Midwich Cuckoos is very good as well.

I read Triffids a month or so back. Absolutely loved it. Was thinking of going for Chocky next, but maybe I'll try The Kraken Awakes.

I enjoyed Chocky, but I don't think it is as good as Kraken or Midwich. There is a very interesting idea at the heart of the book, but it has dated horribly (the narrator keeps referring to his son as "Old Chap" and the way he treats his daughter is simply shocking!).

I finally read 'The Day of the Triffids' and I really enjoyed it. The feeling of fear was brilliantly brought across, you did not know what to expect.

I once read the opening chapter of Triffids late one winter's night in a quiet, empty house - every hair on my neck was standing to attention come the end!

I also did The Chrysalids at school & really enjoyed it. I've read most of his others over the years (except Chocky) & liked all of them, at the moment I'm half way through The Seeds of Time (collection of short stories).

*A Wydham Bender is not a form of cocktail, but more like a small glass of sherry to be taken before dinner. The after effects leave one with a disconcerting habit of greeting people by saying "Wotcher!" and calling everyone "Old Chap".

LOL love this Raven - I know what you mean!

I grabbed The Chrysalids off my bookshelf the other day as my next read, but by the time I'd finished The Time Traveler's Wife, I really needed something light and cheerful, so I went for Bill Bryson instead. It's definitely next up though.

I also have The Kraken Wakes, Stowaway to Mars and 2 copies of The Seeds of Time on my TBR pile. I'd really love to get a copy of Chocky as well. :D

• 3 months later...
As I think I said previously, my personal favourite is The Chrysalids, but that may be because I remember it from school. I did enjoy the second time though.

The Chrysalids is my favourite too :)