• Announcements

• Hayley

Signing Up   11/06/2018

Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

February Supporter Giveaway   02/07/2019

February already! And with February comes the next supporter giveaway. This month, with great thanks once again to www.thestorygift.co.uk , we have a brilliantly bookish set of 'storyteller' pencils (featuring famous first lines) and a retro library card notebook!      As always, you'll be automatically entered into the giveaway if you support the forum on patreon, or if your pre-patreon membership is still active. If you want to be involved in the giveaway but don't currently support, you can join the patreon at any point in February here:  www.patreon.com/bookclubforum . 
KEV67

Best vampire stories

I am reading Carmilla by Sheridan Le Fanu. It's reminds me an awful lot of those Hammer House of Horror films from the early 70s. Vampire stories go back a long way. Which are the best?

It's been years since I've read any vampire stories, even though I was a huge fan of them in my teens and 20s.  From memory, these three stood out:

Dracula - Bram Stoker (of course!)

Nosferatu the Vampyre - Paul Monette

The Fantastic World of Kamtellar - R. Chetwynd-Hayes

I can't remember much at all about the latter two, but I do still have them on my shelf, so I need to line them up for a re-read!

Ahem!! Who has forgotten Anne Rice then?. :o Take a hundred lines the whole bunch of you!  :)

Have recently had the urge to buy a few of her Vampire books, heaven knows  when I'll get to read them, though.

Happy Christmas :readingtwo: All.

I like her earlier vampire books, and the Mayfair Witches trilogy, but the newer Lestat books don't appeal, I read Prince Lestat and found it a slog, and haven't bothered with the others.

I quite liked Anne Rice's first few vampire books but the later ones I didn't like as much. I do have a couple of her books on my TBR (owned on my shelves), maybe I'll get around to them eventually. I don't know if it'd still be my thing, I read the earlier ones many years ago and my reading tastes have changed since then.

I suppose it's the same with many authors, an initial "rush" then readers get used to the style. 

It helps to leave a year or two and then have another go, I've often found my interest in certain authors reborn

Hence my habit of hoarding books while waiting for the "flow" to return. 😊

Happy :readingtwo: All