Your Book Activity - October 2017

chesilbeach

Welcome to October!  What books have you been reading, buying, borrowing ... or even just coveting? :D

I've finished The Good Immigrant a collection of essays from British BAME authors which was excellent, I'm halfway through Spontaneous by Aaron Starmer for my new book group, and about three quarters of the way through My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell. :)

17 hours ago, bobblybear said:

I'm so far behind on reviews. I haven't even updated my Reading List with books I have read, so I will have to get onto that soon!  I've been in a slump in the last few months, and somehow failed to notice that it was being in my new job that was wearing me down. :rolleyes: Anyway, it all ended in tears (literally - I was so embarrassed :blush:) a couple of weeks ago and I have now moved back to my old office and feeling much better! So, hopefully I can catch up on my reviews, if I remember what the books were about. :blush:

Sorry to hear you've not been doing well :(. I'm glad you're back at your old office and that you feel much better :).

17 hours ago, bobblybear said:

I've just finished Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarity last night, and it was so, so good. I thought it would be a light and fluffy chick-lit book, but there was actually a lot of depth there. It was so good that it's kind of put me off choosing another book to read as I'm still thinking about it!!

I'm glad you liked Big Little Lies :). I have the book on my TBR.

I'm currently reading Carry Slee - Timboektoe 1-4: Timboektoe Compleet, which is the omnibus. I'm perhaps halfway through book 1: See You in Timboektoe (the whole omnibus in 816 pages, so each book might be around 200 pages long).

1 minute ago, Athena said:

Sorry to hear you've not been doing well :(. I'm glad you're back at your old office and that you feel much better :).

I'm glad you liked Big Little Lies :). I have the book on my TBR.

Thanks. I do feel much better. :)

Big Little Lies was so good. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

I've just gone through my Amazon Wishlist and bought a few that have come down in price:

Foxes Unearthed - Lucy Jones

Under A Pole Star - Stef Penney (I got halfway through this but had to return it to the library because someone had reserved it)

Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - Oliver Sacks

I have Big Little Lies on my TBR after my Dad was talking about it. My Dad reads a lot, but doesn't talk books a lot, so I felt I had to download it!

Great to hear you enjoyed it. 

I'm currently reading The Right to an Answer by Anthony Burgess, which is my alternative for Leicestershire for the English Counties Challenge. 

Still reading Helene Hanff - Q's Legacy. I took it acupuncture today, and my acupuncturist asked about it. I've previously lent her a couple of books, so handed this one over, for her to take a peek at while I was on the treatment couch. She really liked it, so I'm lending it to her when I've finished it. :)

Another member of the HH Fan club ! :D

Edited by Little Pixie

11 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Another member of the HH Fan club ! :D

Excellent!  It deserves more members.  :D 

I'm 3/4 of the way through Murder on the Orient Express, and thoroughly enjoying it.  I should be done with it by the weekend, and then it's on to The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, which I'm pretty excited about.  

Reading slump!!! :(:angry:

They really are so annoying.

I think I'm just going to have to start reading a little bit at a time, ease my way back. Otherwise I've got an awful feeling this will last a long, long time.

Onion Budgie, how are you finding The Haunting Of Hill House

7 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Onion Budgie, how are you finding The Haunting Of Hill House

I'm enjoying it so far!  I'm almost halfway through.  BUT -- nothing eerie has happened yet.  Everything's obviously set to go off in the second half!  I'll report back on whether it does or not.  :) 

On 05/10/2017 at 4:49 PM, Raven said:

Picked up a copy of Ben Aaronovitch's new novella, The Furthest Station this afternoon.  I think it is only the second book I've bought this year! 

He was in Chichester this afternoon, doing a signing in Waterstones. I found out about it as it started.

Whilst at work.

Arse. 

Edited by Raven

I finished The Haunting of Hill House.  Ugh, what a huge disappointment it turned out to be.  No chills, no scares, no nuthin'!  (Apologies for double negative...)   2/5

I posted on another thread about the all-round greatness of The Fantastic World of Kamtellar by R. Chetwynd-Hayes, so that's what I'm going to (re)-read next.  :) 

Just finished Claire Harman's Jane's Fame (all about how Jane Austen's books became such a cult) - an excellent read with 5/6 stars - and have turned to Sherwood Anderson's Winesburg, Ohio, part of my United States Challenge, and apparently John Steinbeck's favourite book.

With being on holiday managed to get quite a lot of book reading done.  They were easy to read ones so nothing too taxing.

HY Hanna - A Scone to Die For

Angie Fox - Southern Spirits

Willow Monroe - Convicted Witch

Molly Dox - Sand-Witch on Rye

Leighann Dobbs - A Spirited Tail

Milda Harris - Killer Cupcakes

James Patterson - The Witnesses

Currently reading Helene Hanff : 84 Charing Cross Road. I took it into the Dentist`s, and he asked what I was reading ; after I finished enthusing, he said he really liked the film but hadn`t read the book, and could he have a look. He`s taken a pic of the cover now to remind himself to get the book. Another new fan ! :D 

I finished Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell yesterday, which is a year in the life of a second-hand bookseller in Wigtown in Scotland, which is like a Scottish Hay-On-Wye being a book town and having its own festival each year.  

I'm also reading The French Lesson by Hallie Rubenhold, which is a fictional account of the French Revolution from a female perspective.  It's for my new book group, and it's fine, but not the sort of thing I'd normally read, and a bit lightweight.  The author has written more non-fiction than fiction, and I think I'd actually have preferred to read a non-fiction account despite the fact I don't usually read history books. :dunno: 

On 10/3/2017 at 11:36 PM, Alexi said:

I have Big Little Lies on my TBR after my Dad was talking about it. My Dad reads a lot, but doesn't talk books a lot, so I felt I had to download it!

Hope you enjoy it when you get to it!

On 10/5/2017 at 11:26 AM, Onion Budgie said:

I'm 3/4 of the way through Murder on the Orient Express, and thoroughly enjoying it. 

This is going to be my next read, and my first Agatha Christie novel. I saw the trailer for it recently and it seemed pretty good.

On 10/17/2017 at 4:13 PM, Onion Budgie said:

I finished The Haunting of Hill House.  Ugh, what a huge disappointment it turned out to be.  No chills, no scares, no nuthin'!  (Apologies for double negative...)   2/5

Oh no, that's a shame. I bought that recently, after enjoying We Have Always Lived In The Castle so much. Is this the first Shirley Jackson book you have read?

I'm reading two books at the moment:

Human Universe by Brian Cox

Man With A Seagull on His Head by Harriet Page.

Both pretty good reads. :)

It was brilliant....one of the best I've read this year! Have you seen the series?

Bobblybear, this was re: The Big Little Lies. I've not seen the show but I've definitely wanted to watch it!! The problem is that it's on HBO and I have Netflix and I feel like I shouldn't pay for two different stuff at the same time. I think I might quit Netflix for a while and switch to HBO. Then The Big Little Lies would definitely be on my Must Watch list! :) Have you (by now) seen the series?

I'm currently reading Terms of Endearment by Larry McMurtry. Interesting but man, I'm not liking any of the characters :D 

1 hour ago, bobblybear said:

Oh no, that's a shame. I bought that recently, after enjoying We Have Always Lived In The Castle so much. Is this the first Shirley Jackson book you have read?

Yes, it is.  Before this, I was also thinking of picking up We Have Always Lived in the Castle, but I'm not sure that I'll bother now.  Don't let me put you off reading The Haunting of Hill House, though, because you might love it.  I was just expecting a bit more from a book with "haunting" in the title!

I'm still re-reading The Fantastic World of Kamtellar.  Vampires!  It's all a bit (extremely) odd, and great fun.

Ran across an advance reading copy of Jodi Picoult's The Tenth Circle on my shelves.  She writes beautifully and I was thoroughly appreciating the book until near the end where I think it went a little off the rails. Hard to believe I've never read her before. Many people speak highly of her work.

Then I began The Girl on the Train. I couldn't put it down until I lost it. I know it's in the house but I can't find it. Driving me nuts. Oh, and I've started Moby Dick. I'm reading it mostly because I feel guilty about never having read it.

Regards, 

Lou