Star Trek Discovery

Raven

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Karsa Orlong said:

Four episodes in and there's room for (a lot of) improvement.  The Orville is doing a far better job of being Star Trek than this is, frankly.

Glad I'm not missing much, and a bit sad  that it's not brilliant. 

I saw that Fox has bought The Orville ; no air date yet, but yay. :)

Well, I'm enjoying it. 

It's not without it's faults, but the opening two-parter was pretty good and they have been building on it from there (I would agree with Trek writer David Mack that this is the best first season of a Trek sequel so far, and it's certainly got of to a more cohesive start).

There are a lot of fans complaining about the look of the ships, the Klingons, the continuity with other series etc. but I'm not finding any of that particularly bothersome.

The bottom line for me is that so far we have had five pretty solid stories, with genuine Trek issues and moments and the series has a great cast - and especially lead - so there is a lot to be positive about.

Is it the best Trek ever? No, not yet, but it certainly has potential.

On 10/16/2017 at 10:38 PM, Little Pixie said:

I saw that Fox has bought The Orville ; no air date yet, but yay. :)

Should be fairly soon, hopefully.  The third episode was the best bit of 'Trek' I've seen in many a long year :)

• 2 months later...

Since the mid-season break, this has been consistently good, and the twist at the end of this week's episode turns the whole series on it's head. 

Well played, I certainly didn't see what they've done coming! 

3 episodes left to go...

As an old Trekkie ( I was around for TOS) I'm struggling to get into Discovery. I know it has a long way to go but the reminders of previous series is almost to much. Still it is Star Trek and something I just have to watch.

I've also watched the early episodes of The Orville and they've been entertaining.

Technically, I was around for the first UK run of TOS, but only just!  I was a huge fan back in the eighties/nineties when TNG and DS9 were at their peak. Wasn't a huge fan of Voyager, but I enjoyed Enterprise. This is very different, and certainly more adult in tone, but it is the most consistent and even first season of any of the Trek sequels. 

• 2 months later...

I don't know, interestingly the opening episode I particularly disliked. I just felt like every character line was written for most drama without much regards to meaningful characters (would anyone that aggressive ever get a job at a starship in such a high position? probably not...) - or e.g. right in the opening where instead of saying that she walks off a sign, the captain just goes off all important "oh just trust me" which just seemed such another instance of being overly dramatic for no good reason. As a result, the dialogue just felt poorly written to me, I don't know. I really liked set design, visuals and such though, but I watch Star Trek for the crew interactions so I just couldn't get into it.

If you think of the entire series as one story, then the opening two-parter is effectively the cold opening before the title credits roll.

The second half of the series is undeniably better than the first, and the series as a whole definitely isn't perfect, but I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes next.