• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Sign in to follow this  
Raven

Star Trek Discovery

Four episodes in and there's room for (a lot of) improvement.  The Orville is doing a far better job of being Star Trek than this is, frankly.

8 hours ago, Karsa Orlong said:

Four episodes in and there's room for (a lot of) improvement.  The Orville is doing a far better job of being Star Trek than this is, frankly.

Glad I'm not missing much, and a bit sad  that it's not brilliant. 

I saw that Fox has bought The Orville ; no air date yet, but yay. :)

Well, I'm enjoying it. 

It's not without it's faults, but the opening two-parter was pretty good and they have been building on it from there (I would agree with Trek writer David Mack that this is the best first season of a Trek sequel so far, and it's certainly got of to a more cohesive start).

There are a lot of fans complaining about the look of the ships, the Klingons, the continuity with other series etc. but I'm not finding any of that particularly bothersome.

The bottom line for me is that so far we have had five pretty solid stories, with genuine Trek issues and moments and the series has a great cast - and especially lead - so there is a lot to be positive about.

Is it the best Trek ever? No, not yet, but it certainly has potential.

On 10/16/2017 at 10:38 PM, Little Pixie said:

I saw that Fox has bought The Orville ; no air date yet, but yay. :)

Should be fairly soon, hopefully.  The third episode was the best bit of 'Trek' I've seen in many a long year :)

4 hours ago, Karsa Orlong said:

Should be fairly soon, hopefully.  The third episode was the best bit of 'Trek' I've seen in many a long year :)

Just checked and it`s still `unknown 2017`. I`m glad that it hasn`t been Netflixed. :D 

Well Magic to Make the Sanest Man go Mad is certainly the best episode so far, really enjoyed that one!

Since the mid-season break, this has been consistently good, and the twist at the end of this week's episode turns the whole series on it's head. 

Well played, I certainly didn't see what they've done coming! 

3 episodes left to go...

As an old Trekkie ( I was around for TOS) I'm struggling to get into Discovery. I know it has a long way to go but the reminders of previous series is almost to much. Still it is Star Trek and something I just have to watch.

I've also watched the early episodes of The Orville and they've been entertaining.

Technically, I was around for the first UK run of TOS, but only just!  I was a huge fan back in the eighties/nineties when TNG and DS9 were at their peak. Wasn't a huge fan of Voyager, but I enjoyed Enterprise. This is very different, and certainly more adult in tone, but it is the most consistent and even first season of any of the Trek sequels. 

I don't know, interestingly the opening episode I particularly disliked. I just felt like every character line was written for most drama without much regards to meaningful characters (would anyone that aggressive ever get a job at a starship in such a high position? probably not...) - or e.g. right in the opening where instead of saying that she walks off a sign, the captain just goes off all important "oh just trust me" which just seemed such another instance of being overly dramatic for no good reason. As a result, the dialogue just felt poorly written to me, I don't know. I really liked set design, visuals and such though, but I watch Star Trek for the crew interactions so I just couldn't get into it.

If you think of the entire series as one story, then the opening two-parter is effectively the cold opening before the title credits roll.

The second half of the series is undeniably better than the first, and the series as a whole definitely isn't perfect, but I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes next.