ROMANCE!

Booknutt

I am completely unashamed in starting this topic! If it's sex you're looking for

(quite nice in it's place:D) then this is a non starter, fellow reader.

I'm in the mood for a romantic read, and apart from Gone with the Wind, a darn good historical novel and romance, I'm struggling. 

So - suggestions please. Plenty of smoulder, and a bit of sizzle is fine, but I'm looking for something about a relationship growing to special level as a main theme, historical or modern

Ye Gods I've just thought of Barbara Cartland ... somebody help! :o

Trying "Zemindar" by Valerie Fitzgerald. Slow to start, as there's a bit of explanation about India pre-mutiny by one character to another, but looking promising. 

Have noticed that there's quite a choice of stories about this time and place to choose from.

A pity in a way that authors tend to "jump on the bandwagon" - all it takes is one success, and all follow suit. After this, I'll sniff about for other locations.

Happy reading, All.

• 2 weeks later...

Zeminder wasn't a great success 😯 Our hero doesn't even appear till 20% into the book, but the heroine obsessed about him for most of the previous pages, which I actually got bored with! 

Might give it another try sometime else? 

To add to the suggestions ... How could I forget Mary Stewart?!

Her "Nine Coaches Waiting" is a big favourite, but I've read quite a few of her thriller\romances. Perhaps under the heading of "historicals" now, as they're set around the 1940's-ish but interesting adventures, too.

Give her a spin you may enjoy her. 

• 6 months later...

Currently enjoying "Beneath a Burning Sky" by Jenny Ashcroft. 

Yes, it's got slow burning romance of Olivia, (unfortunately married to utter bleeper Alistair) who bonds with Captain Edward  Bertram a lodger in their Alexandrian home. 

It's the early 1890s so the pair are awfully British and decent about it. Halfway through the book and nothing more than a few conversations and horse riding lessons have taken place. Which is fine, real!y, because there is also a mystery and a kidnapping to be solved, and it's an interesting read, altogether. 

Yet this kind of book is referred to as "chick lit" in a derogatory fashion. Also in the charity shop where I get a lot of my books not rated highly, as the "men's type" books are on the shelves, while such authors as this are in revolving stands placed at a distance from them, but priced at a pound less for faster sales to the gals!!:D At least in that we win!:clapping:

Anyway, I've got a few more gathered in - Dinah Jefferies and Julia Grayson to name two, so here's hoping there's a bit of smoulder in them among a good story!

Still hoping for suggestions though folks - whack 'em on here, please. A bit of romance helps the world go round.  :readingtwo:

Happy reading to All!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone tried "The Sapphire Widow" by Dinah Jefferies? Basically speaking, the story of a bereaved wife who finds out her late hubbie had so much more in his life than she thought!

All the right ingredients - shock, anger, pathos, surprises, dogs, threats, interfering mother in law(!), increasing relationship with attractive chap, all wrapped up in exotic location. What more does a reader need? (Apart from a comfy chair and a cuppa of course!)

I enjoyed it - you might too.

Got any suggestions for us other Romantics to try? :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...