I am completely unashamed in starting this topic! If it's sex you're looking for

(quite nice in it's place:D) then this is a non starter, fellow reader.

I'm in the mood for a romantic read, and apart from Gone with the Wind, a darn good historical novel and romance, I'm struggling. 

So - suggestions please. Plenty of smoulder, and a bit of sizzle is fine, but I'm looking for something about a relationship growing to special level as a main theme, historical or modern

Ye Gods I've just thought of Barbara Cartland ... somebody help! :o

Thanks, Poppy. I've never actually explored R.F.D. before.:)

Jane Austen and Wuthering Heights have a!so come to mind, but they're o!d pals already.  Anyone got anymore? 

Trying "Zemindar" by Valerie Fitzgerald. Slow to start, as there's a bit of explanation about India pre-mutiny by one character to another, but looking promising. 

Have noticed that there's quite a choice of stories about this time and place to choose from.

A pity in a way that authors tend to "jump on the bandwagon" - all it takes is one success, and all follow suit. After this, I'll sniff about for other locations.

Happy reading, All.

Zeminder wasn't a great success 😯 Our hero doesn't even appear till 20% into the book, but the heroine obsessed about him for most of the previous pages, which I actually got bored with! 

Might give it another try sometime else? 

To add to the suggestions ... How could I forget Mary Stewart?!

Her "Nine Coaches Waiting" is a big favourite, but I've read quite a few of her thriller\romances. Perhaps under the heading of "historicals" now, as they're set around the 1940's-ish but interesting adventures, too.

Give her a spin you may enjoy her. 

Love Mary Stewart - Wildfire at Midnight is my fave so far, with This Rough Magic a close second.