Robin Cook - Acceptable Risk

Maureen

A medical thriller, (sometimes borders on a horror), showing how people's judgement can be clouded when money is in the equation.

The prologue is set in 1692, which is during the time of the witches' trails. (It is amazing how times change - now we are concerned whether or not to let our children watch certain programms - while back then they used to take the kids to watch public hangings - and behave as if it were a party!)

In the present the book is set around scientists playing around with mind-altering drugs, with all the repercussions and moral issues this could raise. A top neuroscientist has found a psychotropic drug with a very dark history, but the promise of money blurs his judgement as to what is Acceptable risk....

A medical thriller, (sometimes borders on a horror), showing how people's judgement can be clouded when money is in the equation.

The prologue is set in 1692, which is during the time of the witches' trails. (It is amazing how times change - now we are concerned whether or not to let our children watch certain programms - while back then they used to take the kids to watch public hangings - and behave as if it were a party!)

In the present the book is set around scientists playing around with mind-altering drugs, with all the repercussions and moral issues this could raise. A top neuroscientist has found a psychotropic drug with a very dark history, but the promise of money blurs his judgement as to what is Acceptable risk....

I read this book quite a while ago and I enjoyed it. I've read most of Robin Cook's books over the years although for me it was never good to read them in quick succession as I found some of them quite 'samey'. I do love a good medical thriller though. I remember reading one when I was in hospital a number of years ago.....not a good idea!

Very much interested - I've been a student of the Craft for many a year now & I'm always intrigued by a magickal storyline, whether pure fantasy, horror or non-fiction.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a duffer when it comes to divination, but I'm pretty nifty when it comes to spellcraft...

I'm pretty dumb about all that stuff, but do you incorporate it into your every day life? I'm not quite sure what it entails. I roughly know about tarot cards.

Yup - I'm pretty much your everyday, run-of-the-mill, Witchy-type :D

I must point out that i am in no way stereotypical - although i tend to wear a lot of black, it's because it goes with anything; I don't have a cat; I like hats, but none of mine are tall & pointy; I'm not old & I'm certaonly not warty.

And I'm not in the habit of turning folks into frogs. :rofl:

Yup - I'm pretty much your everyday, run-of-the-mill, Witchy-type :D

I must point out that i am in no way stereotypical - although i tend to wear a lot of black, it's because it goes with anything; I don't have a cat; I like hats, but none of mine are tall & pointy; I'm not old & I'm certaonly not warty.

And I'm not in the habit of turning folks into frogs. :rofl:

Glad to hear it re frogs! Do you follow any particular faith, cult (sorry if that's the wrong word!). I've never known anyone interested in witchcraft before so not sure what it involves. I wouldn't even know where to start. How did you get involved in it? Sorry for all the questions :oops:

Not a problem - I'm always open to answering questions, but perhaps we should start a thread in the general, non-book section? What do you think? If you're up for that you can post a few questions & I'll be only too happy to answer.

See, Witches can be nice too - teeheehee. (Or should that be "cackle"? - LOL!)

Not a problem - I'm always open to answering questions, but perhaps we should start a thread in the general, non-book section? What do you think? If you're up for that you can post a few questions & I'll be only too happy to answer.

See, Witches can be nice too - teeheehee. (Or should that be "cackle"? - LOL!)

Good idea re general section, forgot this was in reviews. *tut* newbies :D