Headaches when reading?

Bookish_melody

Hi, when I read I get headaches, even if I'm only reading for a few minutes, I find it is solved if I'm wearing sunglasses but that's not always practical inside, and it's only if I'm reading a book or off my laptop, not when I'm on my iPad or iPod.

ive had my eyes checked twice and I've got glasses but they don't help, I still wear them though, has anyone got any ideas on how i can stop these headaches as its preventing me from reading, which I love! 

Hi

I find I read a lot easier when I put a side light on, I also wear glasses and when I changed my prescription I was getting headaches to start off with but they soon cleared up.  But try the lighting to see if that works.

6 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

Did you mention it to the optician when you had your eyes tested?  They may have some ideas what's causing it or may do some additional tests to help.  Alternatively, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion and try a different optician, or discuss with your doctor.

Yes they put it down to the glasses but I might see if I can go back again or discuss it with my dr when I next see her as I'm at the dr quite frequently unfortunately! 

The last time I got new glasses I had problems with them.  The optician said they were the correct prescription.  I insisted they recheck and when they did they found the optician and written two numbers on the prescription backwards.  I've had glasses since I was 3, so I knew the problems I had weren't just adjusting to a new prescription.  It might be worth getting the prescription checked.  Good lighting when reading as shirley mentioned really helps too.

Yep I'm having problems too, got new varifocals last year and couldn't get on with them at all, went back a few weeks ago and one of them said they might have measured the distance wrongly, then another said it was Ok, and then they said that my astigmatism, which had supposedly gone, was back, and wanted to give me another prescription.  I have however gone back to my old glasses now and am leaving it for a bit, but they are a nightmare!

It took me a few days to get used to varifocals when I first got them a few years ago - mostly when walking down stairs and things like that, but I soon got used to them. They don't suit everyone though and some people just can't get used to them no matter what they do, in which case I suppose you have to use 2 different kinds of specs - one for reading and one for everyday use.

Opticians are of course only human like the rest of us and can and do make mistakes, so if you are having problems it is always worth getting things checked again. If the prescription is right though I would definitely go and see your doctor just to rule anything else out and put your mind at rest.