Your Book Activity - September 2017

Athena

I finished Evil Games by Angela Marsons. Enjoyed it, and am warming to the main character a bit, although she's still unrealistically intuitive and occasionally annoying.

Also read Lies by T M Logan. Don't really even remember buying it, it might have been on offer on Kindle. It was pretty good, definitely enjoyable to read. Fairly average psych thriller. For once, though, I actually guessed the twist very early on! I immediately dismissed it, because I'm never right, but this time I was :D

Now reading Don't Close Your Eyes by Holly Seddon and really enjoying it so far.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Wizard & Glass the other day which I enjoyed.

I've got a bit of a dilemma about what to read next as I kinda want to read three things at once - Wolves of the Calla (Dark Tower 5), Fool's Assassin (Robin Hobb's Fitz & the Fool trilogy book 1) and, as I've not read one so far this year and I need to keep progressing in it, A Crown of Swords (TWoT book 7).

I figured I would read one chapter of each and see which one grabs me, or I might just rotate all three - though sometimes reading more than 1 book at a time means it takes longer for me to read any of them. I've started with A Crown of Swords, although the first chapter (prologue) is so long I've not managed to try out any of the other books yet. :D

Finished Look At Me by Anita Brookner yesterday and it's been my favourite of her books so far.  

Today, I started Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie, which although longlisted, didn't make the shortlist for the Man Booker this year.  I'm enjoying it immensely, especially compared to Lincoln in the Bardo which was shortlisted and I found a chore. :dunno:

On 19/09/2017 at 9:36 PM, More reading time required said:

I finished Wizard & Glass the other day which I enjoyed.

That's my favourite book of The Dark Tower series.

Last night I finished Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. I really shouldn't fall for the subtitled blurb: "The Most Exciting and Mind-Blowing Thriller You'll Read This Year". :rolleyes: Thought it was silly and pretty poorly written. Now I'm reading What Every Body Is Saying by Joe Navarro, which is about body-language. I'm still trying to decide on my next fiction read. 

I started to read Ringworld by Larry Niven last night but I have abandoned it after about 40 pages as I just couldn't get into to. Maybe I'll give it another crack at some point in the future. Back to something a little more easy going, British History for Dummies.

I'm now a third of the way through Agatha Christie's Lord Edgware Dies, and it's a fun, easy read.  I'm enjoying it a lot.  Anticipating lots of twisty bits before the end!

I may be able to squeeze in one more before my seasonal Halloween reading begins.  Not sure which one yet, though.  I have a heap!

I finished Charles Martin ''Mountains between us'' decide to read this before the movie would be released in cinema. Was really surprised by these amazing emotions + surviving cocktail, the book holds me close during 24 hours and I don't fell asleep while I didn't finish riding.  

Hello everyone,

I saw many great reads mentioned, I hope September is going to be a rainy month so have an excuse to stay in and read...😄

I have jus finished the Godless youth by Odon Von Horvath, a quick read teaching an interesting lesson on how society can shape us and which direction our choices can lead us...

Now thinking of jumping back into a nice fantasy. Do you like fantasy?

If yes, would be happy to recommend some amazing books to help you through the transition from summer to winter...😄

Please check out the list and let me know what you think!

Thank you and have a great day!

Edited by Athena
Link removed. New members are not allowed to post links (or to sign up to promote their own book or website).

Finished Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie - brilliant book, but very readable.  Also read The Bookshop on Rosemary Lane which was an easy romance to follow such a serious previous read.  I've now started The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild about the discovery and auction of a painting with the same title, and I'm really enjoying it.

Read Local Girl Missing over two evenings. Very readable, enjoyed it. Kind of an odd ending, imo. Not as good as Last Seen Alive, but still good.

I've bought Copycat by Alex Lake (I now have two different thrillers by this name on my Kindle! Really got to start reading what I have before buying more). That will probably be my next read.

Finished The Improbability of Love this afternoon, and apart from a couple of pop culture mistakes, it was a really good read.

Bought some new books this week:

The Midnight Peacock by Katherine Woodfine

My Evil Twin is a Supervillain by David Solomons

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner

13 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

Bought some new books this week:

The Midnight Peacock by Katherine Woodfine

My Evil Twin is a Supervillain by David Solomons

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner

I hope you enjoy all of these! I've read My Brother is a Superhero and liked it but I haven't read My Gym Teacher is an Alien Overlord and My Evil Twin is a Supervillain yet. I've heard great things about The Hate U Give, and I read a few pages in my copy but at the time it didn't grasp me, so I'm hoping to get into it another time.

I'm currently reading Krystal Sutherland - Our Chemical Hearts. It's allright so far but I've been feeling my 'friend' the reading slump looming over my shoulder.

I have been reading reviews on The Hate U Give 

Spoiler

It seems anyone who doesn't like it is "a racist" :dry: 

I can't get on with books like that, when other people cause grief for a difference of opinion. 

Sorry to to hear the reading slump creeping back, Athena :(

Hopefully, it won't win ;)

2 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope you enjoy all of these! I've read My Brother is a Superhero and liked it but I haven't read My Gym Teacher is an Alien Overlord and My Evil Twin is a Supervillain yet. I've heard great things about The Hate U Give, and I read a few pages in my copy but at the time it didn't grasp me, so I'm hoping to get into it another time.

Thanks. I bought The Hate U Give because I'd heard the author interviewed a couple of times and it sounds like a story that needs telling. I'm getting very conscious that I'm reading mainly white authors, and particularly in children's and YA books, and I don't want my goddaughter not to see herself in books as she's a big reader but most of the characters in the books I buy her seem to be white or if not, then at least written by a white author, so I'm try to find more BAME authors although this is a bit old for her at the moment.

1 hour ago, Lau_Lou said:

Reveal hidden contents

I can't get on with books like that, when other people cause grief for a difference of opinion.

I haven't read your hidden comment, but if I remember I'll come back and look at it after I've read the book.

4 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry to to hear the reading slump creeping back, Athena :(

Hopefully, it won't win ;)

Thanks :). I've decided to abandon Our Chemical Hearts for now, since I can't seem to get into it and am not really liking it :(. I'm going to try to find a book I do feel like reading.

3 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

Thanks. I bought The Hate U Give because I'd heard the author interviewed a couple of times and it sounds like a story that needs telling. I'm getting very conscious that I'm reading mainly white authors, and particularly in children's and YA books, and I don't want my goddaughter not to see herself in books as she's a big reader but most of the characters in the books I buy her seem to be white or if not, then at least written by a white author, so I'm try to find more BAME authors although this is a bit old for her at the moment.

That makes sense :).

I finished Lord Edgware Dies -- it was one of the best Poirot novels that I've read to date.  I correctly half-guessed at some of the twists, but the ending still surprised me.  Great stuff.  4/5

Now on to Murder On the Orient Express, which is (of course) another Poirot.  I already know the twist in this one, but never mind!  It's still going to be a fun ride.