What's Up in August 2017?

Athena

Wow, can you believe it's August already?!

I'm still feeling pretty tired. My new medication makes me feel sleepy, so that doesn't help. My psychiatrist says the feeling should disappear after I've used the medication for a little while, so I just have to wait and see. I might rest again today (like I did yesterday. On Sunday I did end up doing some stuff).

How are you all?

Hey y'all!

I drove five kids 1649 miles. Alone. We arrived there with no problems, thank God. I had no company but my satellite radio. I just got back from my solo drive to Texas to drop off the grandkids. I got in about 0800 and have already unpacked, cleaned the house (can't leave the guys to do it "my way.") showered and taken a nice nap. I have put my keys up and do not plan to move that truck til maybe Monday. Well, maybe  to get a few supplies in. I did shopping before I left but hubby and the boys have depleted it. Or maybe I'll send one of THEM out to do it, lol!

My grandbaby Sarah is absolutely adorable! She is 7 lbs now, yet she is still so tiny, I look at her and see what she'd actually look like if she were still in the womb. The kids all love their new home and I am now off granny duty! 

Right before I let I cracked my BRAND NEW Microsoft Surface Pro laptop screen. It broke my heart AND my wallet. I was able to get it fixed locally but they didn't get it in time for me to take it with me. Had I sent it in to Microsoft, it would have cost $460. I was able to get it fixed for $277 and give business to a small business owner. I'm actually glad it wasn't ready. I would have probably cracked the screen with all the kids around. I did take my Galaxy Note Tab. I have a keyboard for it and would have used it but one of my grandsons bent the charger so it wouldn't charge. These kids are absolutely lethal when it comes to electronics. They've kilt two kindles and destroyed 5 chargers since they've been with us. Ugh!

Now I get to settle back into my routine, whatever that is!

23 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I certainly can't believe it at all!

I go on holiday on Sunday! Cannot wait. It's going to be a relaxing one so plenty of time to read. With lots sightseeing.

I hope you have lots of fun during your holidays :).

22 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I'm off too on Saturday, hope the weather is better but I think it will be the same ie sunshine and showers.

I hope you have lots of fun during your time off work :)!

15 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

It's turning into a very busy week at work, so not much time for anything else with me.  Looking forward to the weekend already. :lol:

I hope you'll have a nice weekend and good luck at work until then :).

12 hours ago, Virginia said:

I drove five kids 1649 miles.

Wow, that's pretty far!I hope you can rest now :). Sorry to hear your laptop broke down, glad you could get it fixed though.

We're letting our fridge (which has a small freezer compartment) defrost / warm up, later today we will clean it. It'll be nice when it's all nice and clean. We've stored all our fridge stuff in my parents' fridge for the time being (theirs is a bit bigger than ours). After the 24 hours are up and the fridge is cleaned, we can put everything back.

As far as I know, my family is doing allright. My brother and his girlfriend are coming home (from their trip) in a couple of weeks, and I'm quite excited to see them again.

2 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope you have lots of fun during your holidays :).

Thank you very much :)

i just need to pack, get my euros and make sure my passport is on hand.

That sounds like a tedious job, but at least it'll be all nice for you when it's done :)  

Hope your brother and his gf enjoyed their trip, and you have a good and joyful catch up.

Hey y'all!

Poppy, Gaia and MRTR, it's amazing what one can do when one has no choice, lmbo! The cost of flying five little ones is scary and I'm not a fan of it, especially as these airlines seem to have lost their collective minds. It was a challenge and I can say that I did it and now it seems like I can do anything!

Having said that, I can barely stay awake right now, :lol: After unpacking (our bedroom as at the end of the house and hubby wasn't aware that I was home) I put everything away and tidied my house before I felt like I could lay down. By then hubby and doggy realized I was home! I laid down and slept for a few hours, woke talked to hubby, got something to snack on, read some mail, watched a show (all this in the time frame of 2 hours and from bed) then fell back asleep about 4pm. I woke up this morning at 0930 and that was only because ds was banging on the door and set the dog to barking. Now I'm semi up and drinking tea. I really don't foresee much getting done today. That's actually my goal. To do much of nothing. I may take a stroll with my Kizzy later. 

I can't BELIEVE how quiet my home is right now. For over a month I've been rooted out of bed as soon as the sun rose to put breakfast on the table, get kids dressed, dispensed medication (allergy an asthma) keeping the house from falling down and keeping the kids from killing each other, lmbo! I do miss it but only for a minute. 

Have a great one!

Coran and I decided to go to Portsmouth for the day as the forecast was so good, with blue skies and a very slight breeze. We had a nice lunch and then walked down the beach for a mile or so before sitting down to read for an hour or so. It was a great day out and did us both the power of good. Back to work though tomorrow.  

12 hours ago, Talisman said:

Coran and I decided to go to Portsmouth for the day as the forecast was so good, with blue skies and a very slight breeze. We had a nice lunch and then walked down the beach for a mile or so before sitting down to read for an hour or so. It was a great day out and did us both the power of good. Back to work though tomorrow.  

That sounds like a nice day out :).

My Granddaughter will be competing for Team USA in the 2017 Multisport World Championship Festival in Canada next week. She will be in the 18 - 39 age group competing in the Standard Duathlon. Approx. 50 Countries will be competing. She will not be at her best as she has had several injuries this past year but she is still excited about participating. She qualified last year in the trials in Portland, OR

https://penticton2017.com/

Congratulations to you and your granddaughter Muggle - I am sure you are all very proud of her.

I hope you enjoyed your bread as well Athena.

It has hardly stopped raining here all day today - I never knew so much rain even existed. I got soaked to the skin just walking across the garden at work. The shorts I was wearing just about dried out at lunch time before I had to go out there again! 

Hey y'all!

Congrats to your ganddaughter, muggle!

Gaia, its been years since I've made bread, you have me thinking I might need to try it :)

Tali, has it dried up any?

I can't BELIEVE its almost the middle of August!! Where has the year gone?! Things have moved so fast this summer that I'm playing catch up. Our lease is up at the end of the year and we'll be moving back to our old town. We've been kind of planning what we want to purchase but then had to stop everything to deal with the emergency c-section our dd had. From June til the beginning of this month, I've been to Texas three times. Wow!

After another health scare and her hubby being in New York for training and her being home ALONE with six children 9 and under, they have FINALLY decided to move back to home. They'll be within minutes of us. Her health isn't great and my greatest nightmare is that she'd get sick or pass out with the newborn and the older kids left at home and no one knowing what happened. Her hubby hopes to move them back by the end of September. 

The weather has been more "eh" than great. Gray and showery. Because we're moving I put off getting my real estate license because I have to have a broker. It's a real headache and hassle to change brokerage firms once you get one and the licensing agency will only issue the license TO the brokerage firm that hires you. It's just best for me to be where I'm going to sell homes. I don't plan to sell here as we're moving so.....I'll wait. BUT I did sign on to be a companion/caregiver to seniors. I got my first client and started today. I think I'm going to enjoy this. I can get clients when we move and do that while I work on real estate.

That about sums it up for me, have a great one!

Thankfully it has now pretty much dried out - we have lovely sunshine and blue skies at the moment and yesterday was good too. We even managed to cut our grass. We are going out to lunch later on to Polesden Lacey, one of the nearby National Trust estates. They have live jazz on Sunday afternoons during the summer, and I am reading a rather good book at the moment, so I like the idea of a lazy afternoon sitting in the sun with a good book (or Kindle) and some good company.

It has been a busy week at work for me. My lady cleaner was due back at work on Wednesday after her shoulder surgery, but she has been signed off for a further 2 weeks. I am not surprised, as she did indicate that she was still in a lot of pain. It looks like it may be a phased return to work during the first week of September, where for the first week at least she does the mornings only. 

At the same time, my male Polish cleaner has had his family visiting from Poland and so has been working for just 4 hours each day so he can take them out in the afternoons. He only works 26 hours a week for us anyway, as he has a second job in a pub, but while the other lady has been away has been doing about 32 hours to keep things ticking over. He bought his family to see where he works after he finished work on Friday so they could have a look around the site, and I managed to meet them which was nice. The kids didn't speak much English, but his ex wife spoke a little. The chef was cooking for the staff that day and they all sat out in the garden having lunch together which was nice.

There do seem to be some very strange energies around at the moment, with a lot of people I know getting irritable and short with each other. Coran is still very concerned about her best friend, whose health is deteriorating, and who has major problems with her housing. 

At least I have the trip to Croatia to look forward to, which will soon come round. I need to think about booking the bus from Split to Dubrovnik soon. I have 7 more days of holiday left to take before the end of March (not including the days that we have to take at Christmas, which happily coincide with a concert by a certain Icelandic rock band who I am flying out to see - I have a long held dream to see them on home turf). We are going to see the same band in London a week before I go to Croatia and so I have a half day holiday for that too and the day off afterwards so that we can stay overnight near the venue. I am not sure what I will do with the remaining days, but have been thinking about Granada in Spain, where much of the current series of Game of Thrones was filmed. EasyJet have just started a direct route from Gatwick and there are some good deals at the moment. :D  

What a lovely weekend it was, you don't need to do much or go very far when you get such nice weather.  Pottered around the garden tidying up as I went along, nothing too strenuous, inbetween reading.

Last year we had many holidays around the uk but this year we are going abroad and our second holiday is not for a few weeks so looking forward to that, cannot wait.

We had a pretty nice weekend. On Saturday we went to the Fota Island Resort spa to use the pool and other spa facilities (not any actual spa treatments), courtesy of OH's boss. It was a little bit soured by the fact that it was meant to be a thank you from the boss, since OH manned the shop and did two people's jobs for over 3 months, and continues to be the backbone of keeping the customer-facing shop going, but it wasn't much of a thank you when the boss kept forgetting to book it, said he'd pay for travel and didn't, and the travel cost more than the 25 euro per person he spent for us to basically use a pool. We didn't expect anything, but we did wish that after something had been promised it would have been followed through on.

Anyway, we're very easily pleased and had a grand aul time in the pool and surrounding facilities. On Sunday I spent literally 9 hours playing through 2,5 episodes of Life Is Strange. I took yesterday off, and divided my time between reading and cross-stitching. The only thing I didn't get done was a bit of study, so all in all a good weekend.

Also, I recently got told that there may be a permanent job-opportunity here in the university next month that I should go for. I was a bit torn at first, as it's a job I've done before and hated, and I've already sunk a grand into study and been literally a couple of months researching ways to retrain and upskill in administration, as well as finding a place on a course. It's the most preparation I've made for my future probably ever, which I did because I was so convinced that once my job here ended in September, that was really it this time. I've decided I'll go for the job because of the permanence and financial security, and if I get it, I'll keep studying in my own time. Will be harder and take longer, and might come to nothing, but it'll definitely come to nothing if I don't try. Plus, I may not get the job, in which case, on with the course.

On 8/10/2017 at 10:35 PM, Virginia said:

The weather has been more "eh" than great. Gray and showery. Because we're moving I put off getting my real estate license because I have to have a broker. It's a real headache and hassle to change brokerage firms once you get one and the licensing agency will only issue the license TO the brokerage firm that hires you. It's just best for me to be where I'm going to sell homes. I don't plan to sell here as we're moving so.....I'll wait. BUT I did sign on to be a companion/caregiver to seniors. I got my first client and started today. I think I'm going to enjoy this. I can get clients when we move and do that while I work on real estate.

That about sums it up for me, have a great one!

I'm glad you're doing well, Virginia :).

On 8/13/2017 at 0:05 PM, Talisman said:

At least I have the trip to Croatia to look forward to, which will soon come round. I need to think about booking the bus from Split to Dubrovnik soon. I have 7 more days of holiday left to take before the end of March (not including the days that we have to take at Christmas, which happily coincide with a concert by a certain Icelandic rock band who I am flying out to see - I have a long held dream to see them on home turf). We are going to see the same band in London a week before I go to Croatia and so I have a half day holiday for that too and the day off afterwards so that we can stay overnight near the venue. I am not sure what I will do with the remaining days, but have been thinking about Granada in Spain, where much of the current series of Game of Thrones was filmed. EasyJet have just started a direct route from Gatwick and there are some good deals at the moment. :D  

I wish you lots of fun on your trip :)!

On 8/14/2017 at 11:15 AM, shirley said:

What a lovely weekend it was, you don't need to do much or go very far when you get such nice weather.  Pottered around the garden tidying up as I went along, nothing too strenuous, inbetween reading.

Last year we had many holidays around the uk but this year we are going abroad and our second holiday is not for a few weeks so looking forward to that, cannot wait.

I wish you fun on your holidays :)!

22 hours ago, Nollaig said:

Also, I recently got told that there may be a permanent job-opportunity here in the university next month that I should go for. I was a bit torn at first, as it's a job I've done before and hated, and I've already sunk a grand into study and been literally a couple of months researching ways to retrain and upskill in administration, as well as finding a place on a course. It's the most preparation I've made for my future probably ever, which I did because I was so convinced that once my job here ended in September, that was really it this time. I've decided I'll go for the job because of the permanence and financial security, and if I get it, I'll keep studying in my own time. Will be harder and take longer, and might come to nothing, but it'll definitely come to nothing if I don't try. Plus, I may not get the job, in which case, on with the course.

Shame the boss didn't do what he said he would :(, I'm glad you still had fun though.

Good luck with the job opportunity :)!

Tomorrow my sister and her boyfriend are coming for a quick visit in the evening after their work. In a few days I should see my brother and his girlfriend, they should return from their trip in a few days. They visited several countries during their trip. They have been away since January, so I really look forward to see them. Today I'm planning to spend a bit of time with my dad, and later in the day I plan to also spend some time with my mum, and with my boyfriend.

Just back from a week in Devon, it was nice but the weather could have been better!  Had a couple of nice afternoons but it rained every day.  and on the last night some moron decided to rip off one of my wing mirrors, so goodness knows how much that will cost to get fixed:o

On 16/08/2017 at 10:15 AM, Madeleine said:

Just back from a week in Devon, it was nice but the weather could have been better!  Had a couple of nice afternoons but it rained every day.  and on the last night some moron decided to rip off one of my wing mirrors, so goodness knows how much that will cost to get fixed:o

Glad you had a good holiday :)

Sorry to hear about your car! :angry: 

There is no way on this earth they didn't know they did it. So why people can't have the common decency to leave a note with a name and number. 

I've been hit so many times in car parks etc and unless someone has seen it happen, no one's ever owned up. My old car practically seemed to have a target painted on it, it got hit so many times, and of course I don't always notice the damage immediately eg if it's dark or I don't approach it from the affected side.:angry:

Ah, the weekend at last.  It's been a long, busy week, but finally the weekend has come around. :smile2:

Been out for coffee and lunch, as well as a trip to the cinema and a visit to my dad.  Back home in front of the cricket while OH is cooking dinner, and then going to catch up on MasterChef Australia 2017 which has just started showing here in the UK.  Hoping for a relaxing weekend with lots of nothing to do. :giggle2:

Hope everyone else has a good weekend too.:flowers2: