Your Book Activity - August 2017

Athena

On 26/08/2017 at 11:45 PM, Little Pixie said:

I'm up to page 174  of The Goldfinch by Donna Tarry. It's great so far, but I'm still feeling the loss of my reading mono. Hopefully reading something so good will restart my reading engine. ;)

I loved The Goldfinch...glad to hear you are enjoying it, and I hope your mojo returns full force soon! :)

On 28/08/2017 at 9:05 AM, Nollaig said:

I finished Harbour. While there was a lot I loved about it (the writing, characters, setting, concept), it was reeeeeeally drawn out and kept jumping from present day to the past to fill in the gaps about what's happening in the community. It seemed to take a very lot time to tell, essentially, quite a simple story. And it was enjoyable, but not very rewarding, ultimately. So I only gave it 3 stars. (@bobblybear)

Thanks for letting me know. I won't rush to read it then, given that I have so many others to read! 

1 hour ago, Anna Begins said:

Some new ones I enjoyed were Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer, which I read as an Immersion Reading book. That got me interested in mountain climbing books- this is totally NOT me at all lol- and I also enjoyed K2: The Savage Mountain by Charles Houston and Robert Bates. One of my next reads will also be about a K2 climb (one of the worlds 14, 8,000 meter mountains (28,000 feet). They are the highest in the world- topped by Everest- but K2 is more deadly. It is in Pakistan).

Welcome back, Anna! :) I have Into Thin Air on my Kindle, waiting to be read. Have you read about all the bodies that have been left on Everest? Also, there is footage on YouTube of the moment they found George Mallory's body....that was pretty eerie. :o

I'm reading The Lost City of Z at the moment, which is so fascinating. It's about the British explorer Percy Fawcett, who went missing in the Amazon jungle while looking for evidence of an ancient civilisation. Brilliant stuff. 

I went to the library today and borrowed the following:

The Catcher In The Rye - JD Salinger

The Whites - Richard Price

Americanah - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

The Corner - David Simon and Ed Burns

I've discovered the Top Ten series of articles on The Guardian and have been going through all the comments and adding book after book to my wishlist (hence the trip to the library). Well worth a look if you want to add to your TBR pile. :lol:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Anna Begins said:

I have to agree about PG vs AW. I have never liked AW's historical fiction. As a historian, she is amazing. But PG is great with the historical fiction.

Hi everyone!  I've missed you all! I am back to reading and with Athena's encouragement, I decided to come back :)

Recently, I have finished a few re reads, like Memiors of a Geisha and Only Ever Yours by Louise

Ooh, I loved Memoirs of a Geisha. I have one of those ' Westerner interviews Geishas ' in my TBR . :)

4 hours ago, bobblybear said:

I loved The Goldfinch...glad to hear you are enjoying it, and I hope your mojo returns full force soon! :)

Thank you ! I've just finished it ; a brilliant read, and something I'll reread in the future. I have it on kindle - unread - and a neighbour lent me the paperback, so I felt it would be nicer to read a proper book. Plus, with a book needing to go back to its own home, I could push myself a bit, to get through my reading block.

Wow, just a fantastic read - the storyline and the wonderful prose. I'm guessing we have another  5 or 6 years till her next book though. « sighs»

13 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

Yes, that was one of the problems I had with the book.  Playing Eleanor for crass laughs seemed a bit "off" to me, to be honest.  (That, and the utter predictability of the plot!)

To be fair, it's a fine line for an author to walk, and difficult to get right. I haven't finished it yet, but she seems to be integrating more and more into normal-dom, which bothers me. I'm abnormal, and very happy with my antisocial, socially inept existence thanks very much! :lol:

17 hours ago, bobblybear said:

Welcome back, Anna! :) I have Into Thin Air on my Kindle, waiting to be read. Have you read about all the bodies that have been left on Everest? Also, there is footage on YouTube of the moment they found George Mallory's body....that was pretty eerie. :o

I'm reading The Lost City of Z at the moment, which is so fascinating. It's about the British explorer Percy Fawcett, who went missing in the Amazon jungle while looking for evidence of an ancient civilisation. Brilliant stuff. 

I went to the library today and borrowed the following:

The Catcher In The Rye - JD Salinger

Thank you! It's nice to be back and good to see you :)

I think I'm in the minority but I like Catcher in the Rye!

I'll have to look up the footage- I am obsessed with mountain climbing now. Into Thin Air is a really good book. Have you read anything else by Krakauer?

5 hours ago, Anna Begins said:

I'll have to look up the footage- I am obsessed with mountain climbing now. Into Thin Air is a really good book. Have you read anything else by Krakauer?

No, but I also have Into The Wild on my Kindle, and I've seen the movie that was based on the book. Very good film....I just need to find the time to read the book! :rolleyes:

It's only like 250 pages :D Even my mom read it lol Just kidding. I tried Into the Wild on audio- my first that wasn't Immersion Reading- and it just was awful. So, I have the actual book on my TBR.

I'm now 75 pages into No god, but God bay Reza Aslan and along it, I've chosen Guns, Germs and Steel. Yesterday, Amazon recommended Zealot, Reza Aslan's book about Jesus, so now I must read that too.

• Athena unpinned this topic

Sometimes 250 pages can seem like Mount Everest these days. :lol:

Guns, Germs and Steel is a very good read. Unfortunately, I never ended up finishing it. I read about 3/4's (maybe more), put it aside to read a fiction book, and just couldn't remember what I'd read when I picked it up again. :blush: I think I preferred The Rise and Fall of The Third Chimpanzee which I intend to re-read in the near future.