Jump to content
Athena

Your Book Activity - August 2017

Recommended Posts

Athena   

How is it August already :o?!

 

I'm currently working my way through my library loans. Not sure yet which one I'll read next. I also have some cataloguing to do.

 

What's your book activity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lau_Lou   

I can't believe that! It's just flying by.

 

I am putting myself on a book buying ban for the rest of the year. I may not make it til then but I can at least try a few months.

 

So, reading books I own is top priority, and I want to read at least one classic each month from now til December.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're just saying the same thing - how is it August!  And the nights are already getting darker earlier....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shirley   

Nice work if you can get it - Celia Imrie - I read the first book Not Quite Nice which I so enjoyed and this is the continuation of that book.  I'm sure you can read them individually as well but it is the same characters.

 

Invitation to Die - Jaden Syke - this is the first book in a new series from this author - I have read quite a lot of her books and enjoyed them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankie   

I'm not reading anything at the moment. I was reading The Seventh Function of Language but it's such a clever and tricky book that you have to have your wits about you, and these last few days I've lost my wits momentarily. How annoying! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Madeleine said:

We're just saying the same thing - how is it August!  And the nights are already getting darker earlier....

 

....and the mornings..... such a downer. :wibbly:

 

On the plus side, I've bought quite a few Kindle books from the Monthly Deals. I bought:

 

The Fear of 13 - Nick Yarris

Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know - Ranulph Fiennes

All Things Bright and Beautiful - James Herriot

An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth - Chris Hadfield

Water For Elephants - Sara Gruen

Spaceman - Mike Massimino

We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson

 

And this morning, I bought:

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie - Muriel Spark

A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived - Adam Rutherford

 

My book buying is out of control this year. :hide:

 

From the library, I have After You by Jojo Moyes and Under A Pole Star by Stef Penney to read. I have to return Campari for Breakfast by Sara Crowe this week. I didn't finish it, but I think that's because I was reading 5 minutes here and there and so lost track of what was going on. :roll:

 

I'm now reading The Everything Store which is about Amazon and it's founder Jeff Bezos. Interesting reading. I hope to finish it this week....I have the week off work, but unfortunately we have builders in all week and I can't relax enough to read properly. They are demolishing and rebuilding a retaining wall, so making a lot of noise and I keep peeking out the window to see what it's looking like. :eek: It's raining today, so I don't think they will be here which means I may get some quality reading time. :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nollaig   

I'm getting towards the end of The Slap so I've also started The Good People by Hannah Kent. Looking forward to this, as I loved Burial Rites, but am also wary as it's set outside Killarney in Co. Kerry, Ireland, which is pretty much where I'm originally from!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My book buying is always out of control;)

 

I loved Water for Elephants, one of my favourite books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As we were camping at a festival at the weekend, I neither wanted to take my Kindle (in case it got wet or stolen), my library book (in case I lost it), nor The Waste Lands (as it's quite big and thought it might get damaged), so instead I started another book and took that - Doom of the Dragon by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, which is the final book in the Dragonships series, so I was wanting to get onto it soon anyway. I didn't manage to read much of it whilst we were away, though I am a bit flustered by having 3 (technically 4 with the Kindle's A short history of everything) books on the go at once. :D

 

I am mostly concentrating on finishing my library book though, so I can hand that back in - only 80 pages or so to go.

 

Yesterday, I read one of the articles in Moranifesto about how she has no time to read anymore "cos of y'know, kids", whereas in her youth she read loads. It kind of struck a chord with me! I was also at the library with my two on Monday (to get them books ;)) and Ellie happened to pick out this picture book that was about reading grumbles - citing various excuses that people have about not reading - it's too hard, it's boring, I don't have time - and then some people quoting various ways to get around it. The "i don't have time" one in particular talked about "I read before I go to bed",  "whilst making dinner", "when waiting at the doctors", etc - all things I used to do, before the advent of kids (and smart phones). Something is trying to tell me something. ;) 

 

Recently I think I have done better and managed to fit more reading in though. I think the choice of book really helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Athena   
On 2-8-2017 at 8:45 AM, bobblybear said:

On the plus side, I've bought quite a few Kindle books from the Monthly Deals. I bought:

 

I hope you enjoy all of your new books :)! An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth is on my TBR.

 

22 hours ago, Madeleine said:

My book buying is always out of control;)

 

*raises hand* same :yes:!

 

15 hours ago, More reading time required said:

Recently I think I have done better and managed to fit more reading in though. I think the choice of book really helps!

 

I hope you are able to do more reading for the next while :).

 

I'm still working my way through my library loans. Up next is probably Evelien de Vlieger (ill. Wendy Panders) - Felix: Hoe Maak Ik Tijd? (77 pages, children's book).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/08/2017 at 4:37 PM, More reading time required said:

As we were camping at a festival at the weekend, I neither wanted to take my Kindle (in case it got wet or stolen), my library book (in case I lost it), nor The Waste Lands (as it's quite big and thought it might get damaged), so instead I started another book and took that - Doom of the Dragon by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, which is the final book in the Dragonships series, so I was wanting to get onto it soon anyway. I didn't manage to read much of it whilst we were away, though I am a bit flustered by having 3 (technically 4 with the Kindle's A short history of everything) books on the go at once. :D

 

I am mostly concentrating on finishing my library book though, so I can hand that back in - only 80 pages or so to go.

 

Yesterday, I read one of the articles in Moranifesto about how she has no time to read anymore "cos of y'know, kids", whereas in her youth she read loads. It kind of struck a chord with me! I was also at the library with my two on Monday (to get them books ;)) and Ellie happened to pick out this picture book that was about reading grumbles - citing various excuses that people have about not reading - it's too hard, it's boring, I don't have time - and then some people quoting various ways to get around it. The "i don't have time" one in particular talked about "I read before I go to bed",  "whilst making dinner", "when waiting at the doctors", etc - all things I used to do, before the advent of kids (and smart phones). Something is trying to tell me something. ;) 

 

Recently I think I have done better and managed to fit more reading in though. I think the choice of book really helps!

 

Do you find when you are able to read, you're less inclined to put up with a so-so book now ? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nollaig   

Yesterday I read a short book called Nothing on Earth by Conor O'Callaghan. It was very odd. I loved it, but it was very very odd. It wasn't written like a supernatural mystery or horror, but it has elements of that in an otherwise fairly 'ordinary' book. I use the term 'ordinary' loosely as it follows a slightly odd family living in a show house in a ghost estate. It's very difficult to say anything about it, other than that it completely drew me in.

 

I'm also nearly finished The Slap. Still enjoying it, but not as much.

 

My next read will likely be The Escape by C. L. Taylor. I've read a book by Taylor before, and while it wasn't amazing, it was the kind of easy to read thriller I like tearing through every now and then, so I'm looking forward to The Escape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Currently reading Q' s Legacy - Helene Hanff. Brilliant so far. :)

 

I read that at the beginning of the year -- and loved it!  One of my 5-star reads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

 

Do you find when you are able to read, you're less inclined to put up with a so-so book now ? :)

I think so. Or if I persist with it (cos I stubbornly refuse to abandon books), I just end up dragging out the reading process as it doesn't make me reach for the book at every possible moment. :)

 

I'm working at home today and I've popped into town to drop off my last library book. Whilst I was in there, my hands had a craving to go and browse for more, but I managed to resist and get out of there unscathed! :yahoo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marie H   

Started The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & William Pitt #1)  by Anne Perry and still dipping into The Big Necessary; Adventures in the World of Human Waste.  Maybe I am not using the best term "dipping into" within the subject of sewage....:giggle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe how quickly I'm getting through books at the moment.  I think it's because television isn't interesting me that much lately, and I've been out and about a lot, which means extra stops in cafés and coffee shops so extra reading time. :D 

 

Yesterday, I finished The Pearl Thief by Elizabeth Wein, which was an excellent YA mystery / coming of age story set in the late 1930s, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

 

Today, I've read Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland, set in a bookshop, so hard to resist, but a deceptive cover that makes you think it'll be a light, breezy read, but actually, quite rich, packing an emotional punch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2017 at 11:23 AM, Onion Budgie said:

 

I read that at the beginning of the year -- and loved it!  One of my 5-star reads.

 

I love how she talks about pressing her nose against a bookshop window like a dog at a butcher`s shop. :giggle2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2017 at 1:36 PM, More reading time required said:

I think so. Or if I persist with it (cos I stubbornly refuse to abandon books), I just end up dragging out the reading process as it doesn't make me reach for the book at every possible moment. :)

 

I'm working at home today and I've popped into town to drop off my last library book. Whilst I was in there, my hands had a craving to go and browse for more, but I managed to resist and get out of there unscathed! :yahoo:

 

Congrats ! There really should be a 12 step programme for book addicts. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Guys! :P

 

I'm completely new here, but this seems like an awesome page! 

I have just finished reading  Louis de Bernieres' book - The Dust that falls from Dreams . 

I don't know if some of you know it, but I quite enjoyed this book. 

 

It's a really interesting read if you are into World War/ history fiction books.

 

:readingtwo:

Edited by chesilbeach
Removed link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished Crystal Skulls by Judy Hall.  The majority of the book was fascinating and thoroughly enjoyable.  A few sections came across as bats*!^ crazy.  That's how it goes with any book that's written on this subject. :)  4/5

 

I'm now about to dive into A Change of Climate by Hilary Mantel.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marie H   

Getting into The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt #1). I adore Cozy Mysteries at the moment, but I just can't get into Jane Austen's Persuasion :(. It's just that I am needing some escapism from cozy mysteries.

Edited by Marie H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nollaig   

I finished The Escape by C. L. Taylor. It wasn't as good as The Missing, but I still enjoyed it.

 

Also read How I Lost You by Jenny Blackhurst. Really enjoyed this one, more than the other one I've read by her (Before I Let You In).

 

I've started Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter, and am about 70 pages in. It made me realize how many British thrillers I read, because this one being set in America seems really weird to me now! I do prefer my British thrillers (or Irish ones!), they seem a bit more 'real' to me, as I am more familiar with my neighboring countries and the cultures I suppose. I am enjoying Pretty Girls, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Inver   

Finished...at last...my reading is slow at the moment.....

'House Rules' by Jodi Picoult.....bit predictable writing.

 

Continuing reading...

'The Woman Who Painted Her Dreams' by Isla Dewar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×