Pets - 2017

WormBoy

I've been browsing through the forum and saw that there is actually a Pets - 2015 and Pets - 2016 thread, but no 2017 edition yet, so I decided to create one for us to discuss the little critters in our lives, mine are two cuddly Siamese cats named Megan and Maggie. Both are playful and very active during the morning, heck, their energy doesn't run out until 1 in the morning, so my wife and I would have to pet them for a short while in order for us to get a good night's sleep. We usually take them with us during our road trips, though we would have to settle them in in our pet carriers as they like to pounce around, even when the car is moving. Nonetheless, they are a bundle of joy and have been an integral part of our family since they were kittens. How about you guys? Feel free to share your pet stories.

7.jpg.5203f2a42ade98515ec5d3b2dc08b9d8.jpg

Awww, Megan and Maggie look cute :).

We have 2 dogs, Boris and Pamuk. Pamuk is half Akbash and half something we don't know. She's from Turkey, she was abandoned by her original owner as a puppy and we adopted her.

Pamuk_025.jpg

Pamuk_025.jpg

Boris is a Komondor, a breed from Hungary.

Boris_025.jpg

Boris4_025.jpg

We also have ~24 chicken and 1 goat. I'm afraid I don't have any recent pictures of them. Our goat is a dwarfgoat, she's kind of grey-brown and we have chicken of several breeds. Most of them were born with us (from other chicken), but a few we got from other people. This year we decided not to have a nest, because we have plenty of chicken right now, among other reasons. Here are a few earlier pictures (I may have posted them before). Not all of the chicken on the pictures are alive anymore, the pictures are from 2016. Also, Lize is the goat in the centre of the goat-picture. The goat to the side is William, who passed away a while ago (may he rest in peace).

Lize.jpg

SomeBlack-And-WhiteChicken.jpg

SomeBrownChicken.jpg

SomeOtherBlack-And-WhiteChicken.jpg

SomeOtherBrownChicken.jpg

AgainSomeMoreBrownChicken.jpg

I should try to take some more recent pictures sometime.

@Madeleine you have no idea. She sleeps in the bed at our feet, and come morning when we start moving, she comes up between us and does a barrel roll for us to rub her belly. She'll grump and whinge if we don't do it enough. Now, to be fair, she is good and will go into her own bed if we tell her; we don't mind her being in the bed. But she's definitely spoiled and definitely likes her comfort!

20 hours ago, Madeleine said:

they're all lovely.

I reckon Pamuk could have a fair bit of Labrador in her?  How do you look after Boris's coat?

Thanks :). I think so, too! Boris's coat doesn't need brushing - that's kind of impossible. But what we do need to do, regularly, is tear his hair apart (the deadlocks?). It sounds painful, but it actually isn't if you know what you're doing. He usually likes it as it makes his skin able to breathe better. Every once in a while my parents trim (cut) his hair, for example the hair in front of his eyes and his beard. If we don't do that, he won't be very well able to see where he's going after a while.

20 hours ago, Nollaig said:

That goat is so cute!

This is Penny, who likes being swaddled and sitting on anything warm, including ironing boards.

Thanks!

Penny is so cute too :)! It's nice she likes to spend time with the two of you.

Penny sounds like the spaniel we look after, except she won't go on her own bed/blanket - every night my mother has a battle with her to move her so that she (mum) has room to get into bed!  Then she works her way up the bed until her head is on the next pillow!  They certainly like their comfort don't they....

On 24/07/2017 at 11:35 AM, Lau_Lou said:

The picture with the ironing board is the best thing I've seen all day :D

Haha glad it got a smile :)

On 24/07/2017 at 11:55 AM, Madeleine said:

Yes it's a great photo, hope she doesn't fall off!  And how does she get up there, does she have help or does she use another surface as a launch pad?

She jumped off, and nearly knocked over the ironing board in the process. She's used to jumping from heights - she jumps into our arms (sort of a running jump up our legs and we catch her) and she jumps from chest height down to the ground no bother.

As for getting up there - bottom left of the photo, the black thing is the couch. So she hops up on the arm of the couch and steps onto the ironing board hehe.

Probably! She's actually a fantastic little dog, just a bit anxious/needy at time. Last night we were playing Uno and she insisted on being on Barry's lap. When he eventually told her to get down coz it was too difficult, she sat on the stairs and grumped at us. She doesn't like being left out :giggle: I make her sound like a nightmare, but she's actually great.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my big girl Kizzy. Years ago yahoo had a group called "freecycle"  where members gave away EVERYTHING. The one rule was that you couldn't sell. Anyway, this woman was offering up her "American Bull Dog" because she was feeling guilty that the dog had to spend some much time in her kennel. Now I can recognize the more common breed of dog and when I saw the picture I thought it was something different than what I actually saw in person. I had spoke to my hubby and he said I could get her. I met the woman at a local Walmart. When I got there I saw this dog. She was a pitbull. I was generally not a fan of the breed as I had heard and seen so much about them. But she seemed friendly. As I looked her over and listened to this woman talk I began to feel sorry for the dog. I didn't think I'd keep her because of my grands but I couldn't let her go back with that woman. The dog was underweight and flea ridden. The woman said she kept her in the kennel all day. What a sad existence! My original plan was to take her to a no kill shelter but I was late for work and the shelter was closed. I took her home and put her in the backyard. My son and nephew got home and found her in the back there and that was that. I took her to be groomed the next day. They said she was just filthy with dirt and fleas. They estimated she was 15 pounds underweight. 

The lying female had said that the dog was fixed and up to date on her shots. Something told me not to believe her so I took her to the vet. They couldn't find evidence of her being fixed so it was safe to assume she hadn't had her shots either. She had told me she got her from a shelter in an adjoining state. The rules are that if the pet isn't a good fit, you are to bring it back, not try to rehome it or sell it.

Anyway, I was able to get her fixed for free because of her breed and she was chipped. I got her vaccinated and she officially became a member of the family. The kids adore her and she adores them cause they sneak her treats! Its a trade off, they get to lay on her and use her as furniture and she gets treas. 

Backtrack for moment. I contacted the woman and told her all that I had discovered and that if I found that she was getting rid of dogs in the same condition as MY dog, I'd have the police on her for animal abuse. 

My Kizzy is so sweet and loyal. She is also very protective of me. No one is allowed to approach me when she is on her leash. As for her health, she's as healthy as a cow! Being underweight is not her problem. I took her to the vet and she's weighing in at 78 lbs, lol! She's the family favorite and I can't imagine her not being at my side. 

She snores horribly and can pass gas that will make you gag but I'll keep her, lol!

IMG_20160624_085312.jpg

When we were out for a walk last week we bumped into our neighbour who has got a new puppy, it is so gorgeous.  Please don't ask me what breed it is as I can never remember, yes I am awful, all I know is it is a creamy brown and was adorable. I will ask later and hopefully will remember.

@Virginia, what a story, all too common unfortunately with animals. So happy to hear Kizzy was saved from an unhappy home - my family animals all have similar stories, from a farmer leaving a dog and her pups in a ditch, to a gunshy gundog who was going to be shot, to a dog being locked in a house while her owner went to england etc. Two of them lived out their days with us (Holly and Harvey), Roxi and Chibi are still going and there's three cats floating around the place too. Kizzy looks so happy in that photo!

Penny (the Jack Russell x I posted above) was bought by my partner with his ex-wife some years ago. I'm not a fan of buying dogs, or any animal really, but Penny is a very sensitive creature and I'm glad she's in a home as tolerant as ours, because bought or not bought, she could still have ended up somewhere bad for her nature. Unfortunately, my partner's ex-wife leaving caused Penny to develop anxious behaviours, which we're now trying to deal with.  She's very attached to me - I wonder if she's afraid I'll leave the way the previous woman of the house did! But overall she's a very happy dog, even if she does stress herself too much about things.

• 4 weeks later...

We had some sad news, the spaniel who holidayed with us for over 11 years passed away last Monday.  We only had her a couple of weeks ago, and although she was 14, we thought she'd be around for a bit longer.  So it's been a sad weekend.

21 hours ago, Madeleine said:

We had some sad news, the spaniel who holidayed with us for over 11 years passed away last Monday.  We only had her a couple of weeks ago, and although she was 14, we thought she'd be around for a bit longer.  So it's been a sad weekend.

That is so sad to hear Madeleine, so sorry for your loss.