What am I looking for?

I first read Marktwains A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court, when I was in highschool several years ago. Though the story is allegorical and political on a deeper level, my main enjoyment from the story came from the surface adventure story concept of *slight spoilers* 

Spoiler

An 1800s average Joe, brought back to an age of unenlightenment and superstitions, only to use his fairly rudimentary knowledge to convince the natives that he  possessed magical powers or some other world knowledge

*End spoilers*

Though it is technically a time travel novel, I have read The Time Machine, and I did not really enjoy it, I don't believe I am looking for pure time travel persay. But more of a story of people misunderstanding things and it being used against them? Sounds weird. It's hard to phrase.

Like many a wizard who has no actual magic as we would recognize it today, but simple is knowledgable and tricks people into believing he does.

Edited by Athena
Added spoiler tags.

The only books I think may vaguely be something related are Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series; The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith, I shall Wear Midnight, and finally The Shepherd's Crown. Tiffany develops as a potential witch throughout the series, and she comes to realise what 'witching' is actually about, and what folk need to hear or see from their local witch in order for her to succeed. 

I will think on it some more, but I am not sure I will come up with anything closer to what you are looking for.

Good luck looking though! :)