Diana Gabaldon

Leah

At this point in time she has written the following books

Outlander (also released as Cross Stitch)

Dragonfly in Amber

Voyager

Drums of Autumn

The Outlandish Companion

The Fiery Cross

Lord John and the Private Matter

A Breath of Snow and Ashes

All of these books are part of the Outlander series except for Lord John and the Private Matter. It is actually a spin off of one of the characters from the Outlander series.

This series is utterly amazing. It's an amazing tale of time travel embedded with romance and a whole lot of historical detail. Claire Randall falls through time to 1761, right in the middle of Scotland. Right before the Jacobite Rising. Diana weaves you into the story so well, you feel like you're right in the middle of it. She tells you what Claire does to survive, how she adapts to her surrondings despite how different it is. There's romance, war, family values, everything in these novels. She went so far to make it to where all of her facts were right. The historical detail is unreal. It almost makes it feel like an interesting history book. There is no doubt at how much work she put into these novels. Of course because of the work they are also rather long. Outlander is 800+ pages and the later ones are upwards of 1100+ pages. She was so detailed in her work that she ended up with a lot of information. And to give us readers who are so hooked on her work more of a fix she released The Outlandish Companion which is actually a book dedicated to even more historical detail to let us know where she pulled her facts from.

Anyone that loves historical romance, or just a good novel will love this series. You must also be able to tolerate the longer novels. In fact, Diana has even said that she wrote Lord John and the Private Matter just to see if she could write a shorter book.

Feel free to ask any questions. I don't know anything about her newest book but I will soon. I'm almost to the point of starting on it. At least look it up online and read in better detail what it's about.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's how I got hooked. Someone asked what kind of books I liked and told me to look up Outlander. I read about it online, found an awesome deal on Ebay and got the whole series for cheap. Including one in hardback for like less $30 with shipping. Been hooked since the first 40 pages of Outlander.

• 2 weeks later...

I read Outlander back in 1991 quite a while before it was actually released. Diana was considered to be the new "wunderkind" of the literary world, and she does, indeed, put a great deal of effort in her research.

She's a very talented author, and while I enjoyed Outlander, by the time I'd finished Dragonfly in Amber I was really tired of the characters, wishing Diana would just finish the damned story and move on to something else. I stopped reading her after that. :D

• 1 month later...

I finally got to get started on the newest one. I'm loving it so far. I still have yet to read the Lord John book, it's on my to read list. I was too far into rereading the series when I got it, so I'm trying to finish out the series. It looks like she's going to go to interesting places with this newest one.

I hope you enjoy. I'm almost to the middle of A Breath of Snow and Ashes now. I can't wait to get through it but then I know I'm stuck in limbo waiting for the 7th and predictably the final book in the series. You never know with her though, she knows when she will end this series, she's just not sure how many books it will take. But I also know not to expect a new one until 07 but probably not until 08. But I might get lucky. I'd willing let you borrow it if I was closer but as I'm in the states and not the UK I think I'm a bit far.

• 4 weeks later...
I have no idea if there is actually a difference between Cross Sitch & Outlander. I've never looked into it. You'll have to let me know. Look forward to seeing what you have to say about it Michelle and Maureen.

Fomr what I've been told, there doesn't seem to be any difference at all (the 2 friends of mine who list it as their favourite, one of them has Outlander, the other has Cross Stitch & they seem to be identical).

Im' still really, REALLY enjoying this one. Trying to spin it out as long as possible because I really don't want it to end & I know it'll be a while before I can afford to get hold of the other ones in the series...

• 3 months later...

Did anyone get to read this one and what did you think? I have just finished it and found it a really good absorbing book, perhaps a bit too long, but then I didn't want it to end!!! cant wait to get hold of the 2nd in the series now - its on loan at my library and cant find it on any swap sites - reluctant to pay WHSmith or Waterstone prices. I understand some of the later ones in the series are really hefty books!

• 1 year later...

I've read all of them several times (apart from A Breath of Snow and Ashes as I waited for the paperback). I really like the characterisation and I find I'm missing the characters if I leave it too long between reads.

I'd pick up A Breath etc if I were you - there are some good storylines in it and it advances a lot of the stuff that has been discussed before. But then I've never had a problem with picking up long books!

Someone I used to work with got me into them. She lent me the first couple, but I had to buy the 3rd because she hadn't finished reading it and I couldn't wait! I've got them all now.

I have all of them, and love 'em. :mrgreen:But she is so slow, that when a new one comes out, I have to re-read some if not all of them, or at least a through skimming.

I understand she will write at least one more and maybe two.

Yay!!

whoops, have to add, I don't care for the Lord John series that much. Read the first one and was not that taken with it.

It is the Jamie/Claire/Brianna characters I care about and just plain enjoy.