Diana Gabaldon

Leah

I loved this series - but I'm completely stuck on The Fiery Cross - it is just so slow and boring I can't get past the first 400 pages.

My favourite books were Crossstich/Outlander, Voyager and Drums of Autumn. I keep re-reading my favourite bits. :hyper: I'll have to attempt TFC again - maybe just read it in dribs and drabs.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved this series - but I'm completely stuck on The Fiery Cross - it is just so slow and boring I can't get past the first 400 pages.

I found it a bit on the slow side as well, but it also is a good set up for A Breath of Snow and Ashes which really clicked along. It's worth it in the end.

• 4 months later...

Me too - I loved the series up to The Fiery Cross, but am finding it hard work. I bought A Breath of Snow and Ashes yesterday and almost put my back out taking it to the car - wow what a whopper! Might just move on to A Breath and dump TFC will I miss much??????

I have read the first 3 books. the second took me months to finish - i really struggled with it! I have found that I have to make these my main holiday read as thats the only way i can see I will get through them. I do enjoy them, just find them a bit hard going. I really enjoyed Voyager by doing this as I found I had more time each day to read. i will definately ensure I do that when i get to the Fiery Cross.

• 2 months later...

Hi there everyone,

This is my first visit and i am looking for some help!! Our book club is currently reading Cross stitch by Diana Gabaldon - I have to confess I am not a big fan (too many heaving bosoms) therefore I am struggling to come up with some decent discussion points - can anyone help? i would be eternally grateful!!

• 1 year later...

Her new one is Echo In The Bone (published USA Sept 2009) and picks up where A Breath of Snow and Ashes left off. I have them all/have read them all - I actually wonder when DG intends to stop writing this series, I think the earlier ones are the best but the last one actually began to irritate me. I will read the next one out of curiosity but think she has overdone it with them. Hate the rest of her books.

I'm reading Drums of Autumn at the moment. I have loved all the series so far but I must admit to struggling a bit on this one. I intend to finish it though as I had this problem on my first attempt with Outlander. Put it down for a while and then started at the beginning again. Loved it.

• 4 months later...

I love the outlander series. When I first read it I read books 1 to 4 back to back and even dreamt about Jamie and Claire. It got to the point where I couldn't go on after Drums as it was kinda freaking me out:blush:

I read the next two books some time later but they didn't really do it for me..... I may just have to go back and re-read all of them once Bone is released.

• 5 weeks later...

I read the first 5 books back-to-back ....kinda like one really big 5000 page book about 4 years ago and LOVED them. :D Must admit though, FIREY CROSS didn't hold my attention quite as much as the others and in fact, I have trouble even remembering that one. It's only just recently that I've picked up A BREATH OF SNOW AND ASHES in preperation for the latest one.

Diana Gabaldon happens to be scheduled to come to a book store about a block from my house next month and read excerpts from the latest book in the series. I want to go to that and thought I should have 'ashes' finished before I go.

• 2 months later...

I finished An Echo in the Bone, and although the middle sagged a bit, what with all the regressions and concentrating on the son, the last couple of hundred pages more than made up for it. In fact, it turned out to be necessary to truly enjoy the last part. The ending about floored me. :D:D

• 11 months later...

This series and Jean Auel's Earth's Children series are the only books that I own in hardcover. They are both great. I think that Fiery Cross is the weakest of the series, but still good. The ending of Echo was quite the cliffhanger and I can't wait for the next book. I wouldn't mind if Gabaldon wrapped up the series soon though as I think that if she keeps it up much longer the plots will get too thin.

Yes! The cliffhanger. Wow! :D

She has said that there is at least one more [thank goodness!], and possibly two. I think the story lines with the grandson would carry it through another one, so with the twists and turns Gabaldon comes up with, I'm not too worried about thinning plots.

• 2 months later...

I´ve already read Outlander (Feuer und Stein) and Dragonfly in Amber (Die geliehene Zeit).

The next book from the series -Voyager- is waiting to be read in my bookshelves.

I love the series so much and I can´t wait until I´ve read them all :hug:

• 1 month later...

Love the Outlander Series, but it went a bit downhill after book 2. Oh well, I am comitted to finishing the series. I found them on the book shelf at a friends summer cabin.

Recently, I found the Lord John series, which I love! still a few loose ends in that one, and I am happily waiting for Lord John and the Scottish Prisoner to complete the set.

Anyways, just for fun, I was checking out youtube videos people make of thier dream Outlander cast for movie or tv. if you like the books, check out peoples videos, and post comments on their casting choices!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think they could make one helluva mini-series out of these books! Gerard Butler as Jaime Fraser!!

Agreed, Ragean - we wait hopefully for the penny to drop with those in power.

I spotted a copy of "Cross Stitch" the other day in a charity shop locally, and couldn't help snaffling it. It's been years since I started this series, but it drew me in at once, and I enjoyed the first 3. For some reason I've missed quite a few of them after that.

So now - I've got all the fun of looking forward to catching up on this fantastic series. :readingtwo::readingtwo::readingtwo::D

I picked up An Echo in the Bone in the charity shop not realising it was the 7th book in a series but after reading everyones opinions on the Outlander books I can't wait to get Cross Stitch an make a start on this series :D

The series will keep you going nicely for a few months, Kidsmum :D

It's actually pretty good too to come "late" to a great series - there's none of that annoying waiting for the next one to be published.

• 1 year later...