• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
aromaannie

How many books have you read this year?

I finished no. 61 yesterday. Hoping to get to 100 by the end of the year, but I think that might be pushing it. 

47 so far, though most of them are graphic novels and comics. In fact, the real total of only 15 :(

On 24/08/2018 at 12:29 AM, Marie H said:

47 so far, though most of them are graphic novels and comics. In fact, the real total of only 15 :(

A lot of mine are short stories and even children's books. Reading is reading. They all count :)

On 25/08/2018 at 2:04 PM, Lau_Lou said:

A lot of mine are short stories and even children's books. Reading is reading. They all count :)

Thanks! I've really got into manga and (slightly less on) graphic novels recently, and I love some of children's books, especially ones with beautiful illustrations.

I'm at 29, which beats my total last year, but I'd have to get reading really fast to make it to my target of 50!

154 so far, and four on the go at the moment, although my reading always slows down from October until after Christmas, so I think I’ll probably end up around the 170 mark by the end of the year, which I think would be my second best year ever. 

I know, but it’s my main hobby so I read a lot during the week - lunch breaks, evenings and weekends, I listen to audiobooks on my commute and I never go anywhere without at least one book, so any waiting time is always occupied with some reading.  Plus, my sewing machine has been out of action this year, so I haven’t had that to split my hometime either.

I have read 49 so far.

I am stuck on #50 (The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich) as it is 30,000+ pages on my kindle. I think I may soon ditch it which is something I rarely do.

1 hour ago, Little Pixie said:

208 for me, hoping to get to 250 by the end of the year. :)

Are you still reading the  Witches of the Midwest series?

I'm on 54 out of 75, don't think I'll be hitting my target! Mad to think I used to read over a hundred books a year, but that was before cross stitch took up a chunk of my spare time.

208 @Little Pixie!? How fast do you get through a book? Please teach me your secret! :lol:

I've now read 30, which means I'd have to read 20 books in about 50 days to reach my target of 50 books...

I am up to 90 now, and am 4 books ahead of my target for the year of 100. 

17 hours ago, muggle not said:

Are you still reading the  Witches of the Midwest series?

I haven`t read the last two books - Witch Interrupted, and Close Encounters of the Witchy Kind - I`ll read them the next time there`s a Kindle Unlimited deal. :)

Are you up to date with them ? :D

3 hours ago, Hayley said:

208 @Little Pixie!? How fast do you get through a book? Please teach me your secret! :lol:

I've now read 30, which means I'd have to read 20 books in about 50 days to reach my target of 50 books...

I read a lot of cosy mysteries, which are around 220-250 pages per book ; that`ll take me around 2/12 to 3 hrs per book. :) I do neglect other things in order to spend more time reading ( and go to bed earlier to read, too ). :D 

Good luck reaching 50 ! :boogie: