How many books have you read this year?

aromaannie

21 hours ago, Raven said:

(Ain't nobody gonna see that on a mobile...)

Just had my eyes tested with no problems, and I could see it on my mobile :P

I'm upto 138 now, and halfway through two books which should be finished this month, so I might make 150 in total by the end of the year. :) 

Sixty up today, only the second time I've managed that before the end of November (first time was last year!), in spite of the fact that I've been struggling a bit over the last couple of months - it's been my worst two month period since June-July 2014. Partly as a result of that,  I'm not going to match last year's record figure (80), but it's still been a good year, especially as average pages per book is up from c280 last year to just over 300.  That figure may come down a bit, as I tend to read shorter books during the Christmas period (just easier to cope with), but on the other hand I am in the mood for something chunky soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my 89th book on Thursday and will start the 90th today. My target for the year was 90 so by the end of this weekend I will have achieved that already. I should comfortably reach at least 95 then by the end of the year. 

That's a lot of books - you must do nothing but read, unless they're all very short books!

I finished my 90th book last night so have achieved my target for the year with 3 weeks still to go. I should hopefully be able to get through another 5 or 6 books before the year is out.    

35 minutes ago, Talisman said:

That's a lot of books - you must do nothing but read, unless they're all very short books!

I wish I did nothing but read! I work full time and have other hobbies too, but I do read almost every lunch break, and as much time as I can squeeze in outside of work.  This does include some audiobooks, which I listen to in the car or while walking as well as when I’m doing things like sewing.  Just taken an average of the number of pages per book for this year and it is currently 317 pages, so pretty average for most books nowadays. :)  

I was talking tongue in cheek - of course we all do other things apart from reading - we all have lives after all. :)

I must admit that I would also read a lot more if I was able to read at lunch time. I am one of those people that find it impossible to read when everyone else is talking, and of course at lunch time where I sit with all my colleagues they want to talk. Sometimes when its warm enough in the summer I sit out, but even then I am often joined by other people. 

On 13/12/2017 at 4:55 PM, Talisman said:

I finished my 90th book last night so have achieved my target for the year with 3 weeks still to go. I should hopefully be able to get through another 5 or 6 books before the year is out.    

It's interesting how much you can get through if you get into a rhythm.  I average a fair bit less than either of you - my best year was when I hit 80 last year, and I'm going to be in the mid-70s this year - but I find that each Christmas my rate of reading picks up hugely, averaging more than double other months, and often treble or quadruple.  That's partly because  I tend to read somewhat lighter books than usual that I can crack through more quickly, but also because I find it easier to get into a regular reading habit, especially in the evenings.  If, as Claire seems to do, one can be a bit more organised, and fill a few more holes in the day with books, either listening or reading, then I can see that the numbers would pick up dramatically.  I admire Claire's tenacity and organisation!

Having said that, I'm thinking of going the other way a bit next year, i.e. reading fewer books, but kicking up on the size.  I've never really got stuck into some of the bigger tomes in my collection, even though each year I say I'm going to read more of them.  In fact, I've read even fewer this year than ever!  So, a concerted effort to go bigger?  Maybe I'll focus on the page count?  (But, even then, the wordage per page in these volumes is so much bigger too, so even that probably wouldn't work!). 

BTW, even your average page count is more than mine Claire!  I'm currently on 295, and with the size of books I'm currently reading, that may well drop a wee bit before the end of the year.

Edited by willoyd

3 hours ago, Talisman said:

I must admit that I tend to avoid the doorstep books of more than 500 pages unless it's an author or a subject I am particularly interested in. 

Most of the big books I'm referring to are exactly that: authors of the ilk of Dickens and Eliot, both of whose books I've loved so far, whilst the big non-fiction books are almost all history or historical biography, both of which I particularly enjoy.  I have just never really got around to these latter ones especially, mainly, I suspect, because I've been too tired from teaching; the ones I have got around to reading have almost always been in the summer holidays.  Hopefully, nex year, that won't be a factor any more!

Edited by willoyd