How many books have you read this year?

aromaannie

19 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Hope everyone is enjoying what they are reading. :readingtwo:

Always

29 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

Same here Tracy, as I'm not commuting my reading has basically halved, so far I've only read 3 books this year.  Normally it would be 5 or 6 by now.

I heard as a suggestion that you use the time that you would normally be commuting to read.  Easier said than done I think but just a suggestion.

20, some of them have been very short and I'm obsessively reading at the moment, nothing too tough. I think it's a climb down from several weeks of high stress - my husband had a stroke at Christmas and though we knew he should make a full recovery he wsn't an easy patient!

I have only finished reading 3 books.

I am maybe 20% into The Brothers Karamozov which has really slowed me down and I have put it aside for awhile. It is a 700 page book also.

I am currently reading Rules of Civility which is enjoyable.

Next up will be Snow Falling on Cedars.

Edited by muggle not

On 19/02/2021 at 10:06 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

I heard as a suggestion that you use the time that you would normally be commuting to read.  Easier said than done I think but just a suggestion.

Which would mean getting up an hour earlier!  I am trying to avoid really long books at the mo, one of my plans before all this was to finally read the first 2 books in the Wolf Hall trilogy, however I don't think I'd be able to concentrate on them without having something a bit lighter to read in between.

• 4 weeks later...

I've read 11 so far. A record for me. The main reason is because I broke my wrist last month, so couldn't do any of my other hobbies! Plus I've recently discovered that I can read 2 books at the same time if one of them is a physical book and one is an ebook. 

I've just finished my 11th book of the year.  I got bogged down in Dostoevsky (The house of the Dead) so that took longer than I had planned but I love Dostoevsky and I do enjoy struggling with my fiction so the time wasn't wasted. I ended up buying the e-book version because the print size in the paperback was too small. So I flitted between the two, which was interesting.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been a 'slower' year for me  than most recently, with 54 so far (to the end of November)  Maybe not quite as extreme as you @Hayley, and in previous years that would have been a very high count, but it's on track to be my lowest total since 2014. Maybe a reaction to last year, when I got up to an all-time high of 90 (and even broke 100 for the 12 months to the end of March!). I had intended to read fewer but bigger this year, but that's not really worked out either!  It's been a funny year - seem to have been reading a fair bit, but just not getting 'into' books in the same way at times, and taking longer to read them.  Have enjoyed some excellent work though.

I decided not to be so obsessed about how many books I read this year and just to enjoy the reading. So far I've read 66 books which is more than I've ever read in one year in my life! And I have read some long books this year too. I also read more poetry and thoroughly enjoyed reading Hiawatha. I haven't counted the enormous amount of material I read in Apple News or articles that come my way via Facebook. I also don't count poetry, Hiawatha being an exception (it was 217 pages long!). I have read more e-books this year and wonder if that has anything to do with it. On the whole, I'm pleased with this year's reading.

• Like 1

In fairness to myself, I have read more than the books on that list. I don’t include books that I’ve read for work (because I don’t really read them in the same way and I like to make sure I’m allowing myself time to read for fun!) and I’ve been tutoring a lot this year. I’ve revisited a lot of classics, like The Handmaid’s Tale, The Great Gatsby, Of Mice and Men, A Christmas Carol, Macbeth and Frankenstein. I still enjoy going back to bits of all those texts (apart from the ending of Of Mice and Men…) but I do want to make sure I give myself more time to read the things I want to read just for me next year. 

This is my early new year resolution 😄.

3 hours ago, Kudz said:

Can I ask what your job is? Apologies if it's mentioned elsewhere on the forum. 

Yeah, I’m not sure if I have mentioned it on the forum before actually! Getting to this point is a bit of a long story but I’m currently freelancing as a private tutor and editor.

• Like 1