How many books have you read this year?

aromaannie

In 2015 I read 56 books. A big drop-off from 2014 when I read 77 books.

Every book I read is on kindle so it is easy to track.....Amazon tracks them all for me including the library books which are usually about 85% to 90% of my books read.

I also have not read any books for 2016 so far. :( I was going to start over my winter break, but I somehow managed to forget my kindle in my dorm room which happens to be almost 2 hours away. However, I was fortunate enough to receive a ton of Barnes and Noble gift cards this Christmas that I was able to surround myself with some amazing titles! I'll probably start reading again tomorrow if I can get over this ridiculous feeling of anxiety I get when I read more than one book at once - it almost feels like guilt. It's weird. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised to find I am already on my 6th book for 2016.  My 2 favourite so far have been:

The Humans by Matt Haig - A life affirming read, a great book and a good laugh.

A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome by Alberto Angela - A fictional stroll through Rome in 115 CE (AD),   Brilliant.  

A great start to the year :) 

I have read 9 books so far, and hope to finish the three I have on the go by Sunday for a total of 12 in January. I read 12 last January too, and it's more than the monthly average I need, but it's also doable, so I think it may become my annual goal for Januaries.

I also forget books almost immediately, as someone mentioned, but as I read non-fiction I kind of retain the gist of it, and maybe one or two useful bits. More like it gives me a feel for the thing, like say a day in Italy long ago gave a kind of Italian memory/feel.

I suppose I read about ten in 2016 so far. Most military, and a PG Wodehouse, 'Aunts aren't Gentlemen'. I have a capacity of re-reading favorites from the past over and over through the years and PG is in that group - such beautiful sentences.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the first 24 ebook versions of Alan Hunters series of George Gently novels. I loved them. Easy paced cerebral stories, along the lines of Holmes or Morse, rather than a 'cop book' with all that modern policing stories entail.
Starting in, I believe 1955 Hunter wrote on average, one per year. The stories themselves seem to be set a couple of years before the publication date, so the first one (Pub 1955) seems to occupy a period in the earlier fifties, around 1952 at a guess.
No sidekick named Bacchus, no car chases, gunfights, or explicit violence/sex/excess in general! I eagerly await the release of the remaining 22 books in epub format. Wonderful, old fashioned stuff (but NOT old and creaky, let me add!) for a Gentle reading experience (Pun half intended, maybe!)

Right now I'm currently reading two different books. Couldn't decide which one first. :) One is "11 minutes" by Paulo Coelho, one of my favourite authors on earth. The other one is rather unknown...some kind of drama and love story, not quite sophisticated, but quite nice to read after a long day of work. I love reading!

Right now I'm currently reading two different books. Couldn't decide which one first. :) One is "11 minutes" by Paulo Coelho, one of my favourite authors on earth. The other one is rather unknown...some kind of drama and love story, not quite sophisticated, but quite nice to read after a long day of work. I love reading!

• 1 month later...