Canopus's book intoxication list 2017

Gad786

Books intoxicate me,thats the best way i can describe it.How else can your describe something that makes you see things and feel good the whole time?

Books completed:

1.The secret history by Donna Tartt

2.Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse

I will start my log with a book report from my most recently completed book: the secret history by donnar tart.but its full of spoilers.I havent written a book report for a very long time so bear with me and i will improve.Hopefully my next book report will not have spoilers.

Book 1 of 2017 book log

The secret history by Donna Tartt

Spoiler

The best thing about this book is how it slowly brings you in and throws you from one state of mind and feeling to another.Sometimes it feels sudden,the change of emotion,where towards the end of the book we seem to without warning,see Richard feeling completely bitter toward the entire group,immediately as soon as the investigations stopped and he was in the clear,no one could really come to terms with each other after the murder that had come to pass.

Bunny seems to be killed for being too annoying more than anything else to me.He was becoming such a nuisance that they just did not desire to have him around anymore,at all.So,like a fly that keeps buzzing around your head,he gets squished.

I love the away the drunks are described and the foggy feelings of intoxication.I especially loved how Richard called intoxication"His submarine"and how he did not wish to leave it to see the real harshness of the world and the city.He wished to live in his mind.

I really loved this book.My mother described it as being unique.It definitely puts your mind in a different atmosphere.

Another way to look at this group"the Greeks" is as over glorified drugs addicts and alcoholics.Unable to feel anything as we hear from Henry at the end of the book and drowning in drugs and alcohol scratching and scratching to feel something.So high in the mind but nothing but a void they're heart.

When Henry pulls the trigger,one stops to think for a moment,could it have ended any other way?Or is it just the author giving the readers what they want and throwing away her "authors principle"?

Definitely a great book for reading a second time and being more perceptive to the change in opinion and attitude of Richard toward the Greeks.

Edited by Gad786

Book 2 of 2017 Book Log

Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse

Steppenwolf is a book about a Middle aged man name Harry who considers himself as being both a wolf and a man.Having the tendencies of both characters at the same time with both characters strength of influence varying from time to time. 
definitely an interesting book that leaves many readers thinking to themselves"What did i just read?"Its not too far from book of the like of Alice in wonderland or the solitaire mystery.
There are those that say that this is a book for people halfway through they're life.I believe it is a book for those who have been doing at least a years worth of self-examination,feel they are aging,or have reached the end of they're emotional chaos of an adolescence,this book is a guide to self-examining and polishing your opinions and seeing your vices and ego for what it truly is.
I will finish of with a few thoughtful questions:
Does Harry truly wish to be tamed and rid of the Steppenwolf?
How does he truly feel about the steppenwolf?

Spoiler

What does his hate toward the man who tame the wolf in the cage tell us and his sympathy for the tamed wolf(The wolf isnt exactly him,so no spoiler in my opinion).

51+3RD9cr3L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by Gad786

I loved The Secret History:) I also have Steppenwolf on my bookshelf (I've just found it on my shelf and it's right next to The Secret History!), but it's one of those I haven't been motivated to pick up. :readingtwo: