Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Hayley

      Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

      The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Athena

Your Book Activity - July 2017

Recommended Posts

We're in the second half of 2017 already :o!

 

I'm not reading any book right now, my mojo hasn't been great, and I've been busy doing other things. I've been working on cataloguing some of my books, and I've been making my room ready for the book shelves I'm going to get next week.

 

I might start a new book later today, depending on how I feel.

 

What are you currently reading? Or have you done any other bookish activity you like to tell us about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-6-29 at 5:29 PM, More reading time required said:

Is that the one with black page edges? I went through a phase of reading loads of books with coloured page edging because they looked cool.. :giggle2:   I can't remember anything about the story though! :rolleyes: 

 

Yes, that's the one. It's good so far, but I'm only in the very early stages, I hope to get more reading done this weekend.

 

July already - where does the time go?! :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently reading My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella. Only 42 pages in, but I'm really enjoying it! :smile2: I was reading it the other night and I got to page 12 and there was a thing that made me laugh so hard :lol: I feared I was going to wake up the neighbors :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm about halfway through Sidetracked by Henning Mankell and so far, so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot today.   I've been reading other things alongside it, so it took me a month. 

 

I'm moving on to Please Look After Mother by Kyung-Sook Shin, which is a Book Club book.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm halfway through Gently By the Shore by Alan Hunter, and it's a dreary read.  How this evolved into a 46 book series I'll never know!  Looking forward to finishing it so I can move on to something better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying that one Onion Budgie. Fingers crossed your next one will be better :) 

 

Janet, how was The Mill On The Floss? I have that on my tbr

 

Bought quite a few books over a few days starting from last weekend

The Green Mile Stephen King

The Young Victoria Alison Plowden

Katherine Howard: The Tragic Story Of Henry VIII's Fifth Queen Josephine Wilkinson

The Italian Woman and Queen Jezebel Jean Plaidy

The Doris Day Vintage Film Club Fiona Harper

The One Hundred And One Dalmatians Dodie Smith

The Sunne In Splendour Sharon Penman

Phew! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lau_Lou said:

Bought quite a few books over a few days starting from last weekend

The Green Mile Stephen King

 

 

Oooh, this one's great! :smile2: I hope you will like it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, frankie said:

 

Oooh, this one's great! :smile2: I hope you will like it! 

Thank you, Frankie :) 

I love Stephen King so I have high hopes. 

Edited by Lau_Lou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lau_Lou said:

thank you, Frankie :) 

I love Stephen King so I have high hopes. 

 

I personally think this is one of King's greatest :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Janet, how was The Mill On The Floss? I have that on my tbr

I preferred Middlemarch and Silas Marner, but it was good, @Lau_Lou. :) I guessed the ending... and was completely wrong! 

11 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

 

Bought quite a few books over a few days starting from last weekend

The Green Mile Stephen King

The Young Victoria Alison Plowden

Katherine Howard: The Tragic Story Of Henry VIII's Fifth Queen Josephine Wilkinson

The Italian Woman and Queen Jezebel Jean Plaidy

The Doris Day Vintage Film Club Fiona Harper

The One Hundred And One Dalmatians Dodie Smith

The Sunne In Splendour Sharon Penman

Phew! 

 

That's some haul. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying that one Onion Budgie. Fingers crossed your next one will be better :) 

 

Janet, how was The Mill On The Floss? I have that on my tbr

 

Bought quite a few books over a few days starting from last weekend

The Green Mile Stephen King

The Young Victoria Alison Plowden

Katherine Howard: The Tragic Story Of Henry VIII's Fifth Queen Josephine Wilkinson

The Italian Woman and Queen Jezebel Jean Plaidy

The Doris Day Vintage Film Club Fiona Harper

The One Hundred And One Dalmatians Dodie Smith

The Sunne In Splendour Sharon Penman

Phew! 

 

 

I might come and hide in your house so I can read all of these! I literally want to read every single book on this list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The book I am currently reading is "Fayroll" the author of which is Andrey Vasyliev. The genre this book is written in is quite new but extremely interesting and unusual one - LitRPG. This story is about how the life of typical person whose existence didn't characterize as saturated, active or outstanding one was changed one day when the main character faced the virtual reality and got extraordinary skills. The plot of this book is really breathtaking and the manner of writing is easy-to-understand, moreover, there is very special sense of humor of the author which the reader can find in majority of replicas and descriptions of doings. Personally I really liked this book and I am sure You also will admire the journey around virtual reality of "Fayroll".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1-7-2017 at 10:11 AM, frankie said:

I'm currently reading My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella. Only 42 pages in, but I'm really enjoying it! :smile2: I was reading it the other night and I got to page 12 and there was a thing that made me laugh so hard :lol: I feared I was going to wake up the neighbors :D

 

That sounds good :D. My pre-ordered medium sized paperback should be here in just under 2 weeks :). I hope you enjoy the whole book :smile2:.

 

12 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Bought quite a few books over a few days starting from last weekend

The Green Mile Stephen King

The Young Victoria Alison Plowden

Katherine Howard: The Tragic Story Of Henry VIII's Fifth Queen Josephine Wilkinson

The Italian Woman and Queen Jezebel Jean Plaidy

The Doris Day Vintage Film Club Fiona Harper

The One Hundred And One Dalmatians Dodie Smith

The Sunne In Splendour Sharon Penman

Phew!

 

I hope you enjoy all of these :)!

 

I still haven't started a new book but I did go to a library sale and bought myself a few more books. I plan to start cataloguing them soon. I'm getting my book cases early this coming week and I'm excited. My room is all ready now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Athena said:

 

That sounds good :D. My pre-ordered medium sized paperback should be here in just under 2 weeks :). I hope you enjoy the whole book :smile2:.

 

 

2 weeks isn't a too long wait! :smile2:   I read a fair chunk of the book yesterday, and it's still good :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, frankie said:

2 weeks isn't a too long wait! :smile2:   I read a fair chunk of the book yesterday, and it's still good :) 

 

That's true, it's not bad at all :). That's great to hear :smile2:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/07/2017 at 9:11 AM, frankie said:

I'm currently reading My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella. Only 42 pages in, but I'm really enjoying it! :smile2: I was reading it the other night and I got to page 12 and there was a thing that made me laugh so hard :lol: I feared I was going to wake up the neighbors :D

 

I loved this book.  Her standalone books are so much better than the Shopaholic books which, in my opinion, should have finished after about book 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Autumn said:

 

I loved this book.  Her standalone books are so much better than the Shopaholic books which, in my opinion, should have finished after about book 3.

 

Great to hear you liked this one! :smile2:  I liked the Shopaholic books, but like you, only the first so and so many. For example Shopaholic and Sister was just horrible. But I have to say I've not loved all of Kinsella standalones, either. But mostly they are really great :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Janet said:

I preferred Middlemarch and Silas Marner, but it was good, @Lau_Lou. :) I guessed the ending... and was completely wrong! 

That's some haul. :)

I am looking forward to reading it.

I haven't actually read any of George's novels as of yet but actually think all of her work is on my to read pile. 

21 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

 

I might come and hide in your house so I can read all of these! I literally want to read every single book on this list!

:lol:

Be my guest. 

20 hours ago, Athena said:

 

 

 

 

I hope you enjoy all of these :)!

 

 

thank you very much :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Kath_Os said:

The book I am currently reading is "Fayroll" the author of which is Andrey Vasyliev. The genre this book is written in is quite new but extremely interesting and unusual one - LitRPG. This story is about how the life of typical person whose existence didn't characterize as saturated, active or outstanding one was changed one day when the main character faced the virtual reality and got extraordinary skills. The plot of this book is really breathtaking and the manner of writing is easy-to-understand, moreover, there is very special sense of humor of the author which the reader can find in majority of replicas and descriptions of doings. Personally I really liked this book and I am sure You also will admire the journey around virtual reality of "Fayroll".

 

You have posted about this self-published author in 5 different posts, and haven't posted much about any other books or authors. I have to wonder if you're connected to the book in any way..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I'm about 60-70% into 'The Amber Spyglass' by Phillip Pullman. I'm debating whether to put this down and start a new book, but I'm so far into it, that it seems a shame not to finish the trilogy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Karen -  I thought the Amber Spyglass was the weakest book in the trilogy, and I did finish it, but struggled a bit, but good luck if you decide to keep going!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/07/2017 at 9:11 AM, frankie said:

I'm currently reading My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella. Only 42 pages in, but I'm really enjoying it! :smile2: I was reading it the other night and I got to page 12 and there was a thing that made me laugh so hard :lol: I feared I was going to wake up the neighbors :D

 

That looks really good. Into the `buy at some point` list it goes. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I`m struggling a bit with books atm ; I only managed 4 books last month ( usually, I average 17 - and in January, managed one a day ). I`ve just felt bleah. 

 

Anyway, I cheered myself up last night by reading a few chapters of Helene Hanff - Letter from New York. She writes so tenderly of her neighbours ( including the canines ) , it`s a lovely snuggly read. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

Hi Karen -  I thought the Amber Spyglass was the weakest book in the trilogy, and I did finish it, but struggled a bit, but good luck if you decide to keep going!

It's a shame because the first one was brilliant, and the second one was ok. You would think that the third one would be the best but so far, it's just a bit muddled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×