Your Book Activity - July 2017

Athena

I've just finished 'My Sister's Keeper' by Jodi Picoult. In general, I think this is an interesting read, but I felt extremely cheated by the ending.

Once my Kindle has charged, I'm going to start reading 'The Gunslinger' by Stephen King, the first in his 'Dark Tower' series.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/15/2017 at 8:08 PM, ajones said:

I really liked My Sisters Keeper, did you finish it? What did you think?

Just finished this and I got used to the separate character chapters in the end, I thought it was an interesting way to tell the story. However, the ending left me feeling extremely cheated.

2 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Yep I thought the ending was a cop-out too, apparently the film ends differently.

I was so disappointed by the ending, I wanted to throw the book off my balcony!

18 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Yep I thought the ending was a cop-out too, apparently the film ends differently.

I can confirm this, having both read the book and seen the film.

It's been over a week since I read a book. I have been busy organising my room instead though :).

Bought far too many books this weekend:

Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine (third book in the Volumes of the Great Library series, bought on Kindle)

Simply The Quest by Maz Evans (follow up to the fantastic Who Let The Gods Out?)

The Good Immigrant edited by Nikesh Shukla

Poppy Pym and the Smuggler's Secret by Laura Wood (third Poppy Pym)

Just finished reading Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton and going back to the Wainwright Prize books next with Love of Country by Madeleine Bunting.

Started reading Jane Austen's Persuasion last night. I have seen the film version a few times, but now I'm trying the book. :)

Finished The Case of the Gilded Fly (Gervase Fen #1) by Edmund Crispin. A Golden Age of Crime Mystery, first published 1944.

Really enjoyed this book, so the Gervase Fen #2 will be next from the library. :)

1 hour ago, chesilbeach said:

Bought far too many books this weekend:

Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine (third book in the Volumes of the Great Library series, bought on Kindle)

Simply The Quest by Maz Evans (follow up to the fantastic Who Let The Gods Out?)

The Good Immigrant edited by Nikesh Shukla

Poppy Pym and the Smuggler's Secret by Laura Wood (third Poppy Pym)

Just finished reading Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton and going back to the Wainwright Prize books next with Love of Country by Madeleine Bunting.

Have you read any of the other books in the Great Library series? I was recently gifted the first three books. Apparently though it will be a five-part series rather than a trilogy.

I hope you enjoy all of your new books :).

1 hour ago, Marie H said:

Started reading Jane Austen's Persuasion last night. I have seen the film version a few times, but now I'm trying the book. :)

Finished The Case of the Gilded Fly (Gervase Fen #1) by Edmund Crispin. A Golden Age of Crime Mystery, first published 1944.

Really enjoyed this book, so the Gervase Fen #2 will be next from the library. :)

Hi Marie! It's good to see you, how've you been :)?

44 minutes ago, Athena said:

Have you read any of the other books in the Great Library series? I was recently gifted the first three books. Apparently though it will be a five-part series rather than a trilogy.

Yes, I wouldn't buy book three without having read the first two in case I didn't like them.

On 22.7.2017 at 1:26 PM, bobblybear said:

I'm sure this is the Columbine book I read last year, but I can't find it on Amazon (at least the Kindle version) anymore. Anyway, from what I remember it was a very detailed read, so I hope you enjoy it ('enjoy' somehow seems to be the wrong word!).

It's definitely the book you read because your review prompted me to add it to my mental wishlist. We had a bit of a talk about it, you reading Columbine and me reading the book by Sue Klebold. I did enjoy the book, yes! I enjoyed both of the books. I'm really curious about the book by Brooks Brown. There are no copies at the library though. 

I've started reading Parting Shot by Linwood Barclay. 

On 23/07/2017 at 3:30 PM, Athena said:

Hi Marie! It's good to see you, how've you been :)?

Hi Athena :). Thanks, I am feeling good. I haven't been with the BCF for a while, but I'm hoping to be more sociable again! :giggle:

I am enjoying reading Jane Austen's Persuasion, but I had forgotten how much you have to concentrate with Jane Austen's writing style. So I have started another book, something in the vein of light reading. Crocodiles on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters is great for a relaxing read, before bedtime. 

Not sure this has ever happened since I started on this board, but I finished my two books on the same day - David Mitchell's Thinking About it Only Makes it Worse and Stephen King's The Drawing of the Three (4 days for this one, -if only I could keep up this pace :lol:). I followed on with my "last library book for a while" :hide:, Caitlin Moran's Moranifesto and also made a start on Stephen King's The Waste Lands.

Oh dear, collected a few books from the library! Most exciting one is The big necessity : adventures in the world of human waste by Rose George. Yep, human waste = what we produce as pee and poo; global sanitation and how we have to deal with, or more likely that we don't deal with very well. Or as many people in the less developed countries do not have the facilities to deal with.

In my vacation (July), I read ten book even now, but the most importante thing that I created an habit to read every day(it's nice to me). Now I'm reading " Transform sweat in gold", that tell about Coach of Brazil Volleyball Team. Tell about his journey to be a great coach and win two gold medals in Olympic Games.

I am currently reading Romeo & Juliet,which I am enjoying, but as it's an illustrated hardcover that belongs to my mum I don't want to drag it out with me. So I started reading Always The Bridesmaid by Lyndsey Kelk. Unfortunately it is dull but as it's such a fast paced read and I do like chick lit

I will be finishing it. 

Loving reading Elizabeth Peters' Crocodile on the Sandbank. Loving it so much that I can't seem to be able to pick up Jane Austen's Persuasion. :mellow:

11 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

Now starting Fingers in the Sparkle Jar by Chris Packham.

Ooh, I have to admit that I haven't read much of Fingers in the Sparkle Jar, though I was looking forward to get the book. It's an....... unusual style of writing! :(:D:blush: I admire Chris Packham, but the book is still on my TBR pile. Hope that you enjoy reading it.

2 hours ago, frankie said:

I finished reading Parting Shot by Linwood Barclay and now I'm reading The 7th Function of Language by Laurent Binet. So far so good! I'm hoping this might be my first 5/5 read this year! :smile2:

I hope it will be a 5/5 read :)!

After not reading a book for over 2 weeks, I have now started one of my library loans: Anna Woltz - Alaska, which involves two young teenagers / older children and a dog.

Started The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas. It has very polarised reviews, with a lot of people hating it but some people praising it highly. So far, I'm enjoying it and am really interested in the characters and their viewpoints.

Finished Fingers in the Sparkle Jar yesterday evening, and have read Dancing in the Wind by M. C. Beaton today, and have started The Wild Other by Clover Stroud this evening.

Also bought My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell today as it was on the Kindle Daily Deal for 99p and I've wanted to read it for a while. :D