Your Book Activity - July 2017

Athena

54 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

Anyway, I cheered myself up last night by reading a few chapters of Helene Hanff - Letter from New York. She writes so tenderly of her neighbours ( including the canines ) , it`s a lovely snuggly read. :)

Woot!  I just LOVE Helene Hanff.  Letter from New York is simply lovely, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Onion Budgie said:

Woot!  I just LOVE Helene Hanff.  Letter from New York is simply lovely, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I think it was your cheerleading which made me get them ? I read 84 Charing Cross Road when I was a teenager, but had quite forgotten about her since then. :) They are such great reads ; you feel like she`s sitting across from you, telling you about her day. Fantastic. :D

Spoiler

And the sheepdog, Bentley, who gets rescued and is sooo depressed - and then the bit when he gives her his paw !! *sniff* 

Edited by Little Pixie

okay just put these into June and suddenly realised it is July already.

Just finished Two from the heart - James Patterson and moved onto

The Vintage Summer Wedding - Jenny Oliver

Finished listening to Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare and also finished reading Class by Jenny Colgan. @frankie I thoroughly enjoyed Class - it's like all the best bits of Malory Towers but brought up to date, but also with the added bonus of following the teachers lives too - probably 50/50 between the teachers and the girls. :) 

1 hour ago, chesilbeach said:

@frankie I thoroughly enjoyed Class - it's like all the best bits of Malory Towers but brought up to date, but also with the added bonus of following the teachers lives too - probably 50/50 between the teachers and the girls. :) 

Okay, thanks :)  I think I will have to buy a copy of the book :D

Edit: I forgot to add that I finished My Not So Perfect Life by Kinsella, which I enjoyed. Have started reading a Finnish chick-lit. 

Edited by frankie

On 7/1/2017 at 6:55 PM, Janet said:

I finished The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot today.   I've been reading other things alongside it, so it took me a month. 

I'm moving on to Please Look After Mother by Kyung-Sook Shin, which is a Book Club book.  :)

I read the latter for my South Korea book for the World Challenge, but it has been some years and I can't remember much about it :giggle2: 

I have just finished A History of Britain Volume 1 by Simon Schama. I have been reading other things alongside it but I thoroughly enjoyed it and will aim to ready volumes 2 and 3 in the not too distant future - perhaps as audiobooks. I am trying to read more British history, so I thought I would get an overview of the whole thing then dip into various bits in more detail. Schama does an excellent job of making things accessible while covering a lot of ground - from 3000 BC to 1603 in this volume. 

Now onto Tom Brown's Schooldays for the English Counties Challenge and I have started The Thirteen Problems by Agatha Christie on audio book on the commute. 

2 hours ago, Alexi said:

I read the latter for my South Korea book for the World Challenge, but it has been some years and I can't remember much about it :giggle2: 

I have two days to finish it, @Alexi and I'm only on about page 30!  :giggle:  The writing is a bit odd.  I'm hoping to have a good slog at it on Thursday morning!

I'm going to Swansea by train on Friday and back on Sunday - I'm trying to decide whether to download a new audio book or read something on my Kindle. 

We're going to Yorkshire on Sunday (hubby is picking me up from the train in Bristol) - we started The Lewis Man by Peter May (book 2 of a trilogy) on Saturday and are enjoying it, so we should get a lot done on the journey up.  :)

On 3-7-2017 at 4:40 PM, Little Pixie said:

I`m struggling a bit with books atm ; I only managed 4 books last month ( usually, I average 17 - and in January, managed one a day ). I`ve just felt bleah. 

Anyway, I cheered myself up last night by reading a few chapters of Helene Hanff - Letter from New York. She writes so tenderly of her neighbours ( including the canines ) , it`s a lovely snuggly read. :)

I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling with reading books :(. I hope it gets better soon.

14 hours ago, frankie said:

Edit: I forgot to add that I finished My Not So Perfect Life by Kinsella, which I enjoyed. Have started reading a Finnish chick-lit. 

That sounds nice, I'm glad you enjoyed it :).

EDIT: Forgot to say, I've been reading Matthew Green - Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend. I'm liking it so far.

Edited by Athena

On 02/07/2017 at 3:03 PM, frankie said:

Great to hear you liked this one! :smile2:  I liked the Shopaholic books, but like you, only the first so and so many. For example Shopaholic and Sister was just horrible. But I have to say I've not loved all of Kinsella standalones, either. But mostly they are really great :)

Oh yeah, Shopaholic & Sister was a terrible book.  I think this is the point I stopped reading the series because it just put me off so much.

I think Twenties Girl is probably my absolute favourite standalone.

6 minutes ago, Autumn said:

I think Twenties Girl is probably my absolute favourite standalone.

I loved Twenties Girl! One of my favourite standalone Sophie Kinsella books too. I did continue reading the Shopaholic series and enjoyed them, but I do agree that the first ones were the best.

What with the film coming out, reading the reviews of @ian and my husband stating he wanted to do a re-read (and what with him being one of the slowest readers in the world so I need to get in front of him), I decided to start a Dark Tower re-read, starting with the short story The Little Sisters of Eluria in Everything's Eventual and now The Gunslinger. It could take me some time, and now it means I've technically got 3 books on the go. That's this one, my library book and the Bill Bryson Short history of Everything book that I'm reading on the kindle in work at lunchtime - so far unsuccessfully, but I am starting to push myself to read that rather than t'internet.

On 7/1/2017 at 4:30 PM, Lau_Lou said:

Bought quite a few books over a few days starting from last weekend

The Doris Day Vintage Film Club Fiona Harper

I'm interested to hear what you think about this one, Lau-Lou.  A few of my family members are crazy about DD and might like a fun read :)

I was about to read quite a bit of The Well of Lost Plots this weekend, so am about halfway.  I also started to listening to the audio book of Shades of Grey (also Jasper Fforde) while working.  Enjoying both immensely~ 

7 hours ago, More reading time required said:

What with the film coming out, reading the reviews of @ian and my husband stating he wanted to do a re-read (and what with him being one of the slowest readers in the world so I need to get in front of him), I decided to start a Dark Tower re-read, starting with the short story The Little Sisters of Eluria in Everything's Eventual and now The Gunslinger. It could take me some time, and now it means I've technically got 3 books on the go. That's this one, my library book and the Bill Bryson Short history of Everything book that I'm reading on the kindle in work at lunchtime - so far unsuccessfully, but I am starting to push myself to read that rather than t'internet.

How`s the ` must not get more library books` thing going ? :)

I finished 'The Amber Spyglass'  last night and although I found this a disappointing end to the trilogy, it did redeem itself at the end a little. Now I'm just about to start 'Billy and Me' by Giovanna Fletcher. I'm not a fan of chick lit, but I have been watching Giovanna's vlogs on You Tube for a while and saw 'Billy and Me' in my local charity shop and decided to see what she is like as an author.

17 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Thank you. :D How are your books struggles coming along ? :)

Well I managed to read a book during the past few days :). So that's something. But I still don't quite feel in the reading mood. I actually dreamt last night that in the whole of the month of July I'd read 3 books instead of my more usual 10 - 30, and I was quite upset about it in my dream!

2 hours ago, karen.d said:

I finished 'The Amber Spyglass'  last night and although I found this a disappointing end to the trilogy, it did redeem itself at the end a little. Now I'm just about to start 'Billy and Me' by Giovanna Fletcher. I'm not a fan of chick lit, but I have been watching Giovanna's vlogs on You Tube for a while and saw 'Billy and Me' in my local charity shop and decided to see what she is like as an author.

Shame The Amber Spyglass wasn't a great end to the trilogy. I hope you enjoy Billy and Me more :).

I finished Matthew Green - Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend (US name: Matthew Dicks). It was good, I quite enjoyed this book. Has anyone here read it? I thought someone had, but I can't remember who.

11 hours ago, karen.d said:

Now I'm just about to start 'Billy and Me' by Giovanna Fletcher. I'm not a fan of chick lit, but I have been watching Giovanna's vlogs on You Tube for a while and saw 'Billy and Me' in my local charity shop and decided to see what she is like as an author.

I read this when it first came out and really enjoyed it.  Bit of a tearjerker though.

I finished The End of Mr Y which was so strange, but so entertaining!

Now I'm about halfway through End of Watch by Stephen King.

I also bought a load of books from the Amazon Kindle Summer Sale. I got:

The Bone Clocks - David Mitchell

The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis

Stephen King Goes to the Movies (collection) - Stephen King

The Second Coming - John Niven

The Passage - Justin Cronin

No idea when I am going to read these books; my TBR pile is just ridiculous! :lol:

1 hour ago, Autumn said:

I read this when it first came out and really enjoyed it.  Bit of a tearjerker though.

So far I'm whizzing through it. It's a fun read, bit predictable though. 

22 hours ago, More reading time required said:

So far I've been there 2 Mondays running and managed not to pick up any new ones. ^_^

Impressive ! But don't the other library patrons balk at the sight of your blinkers ? ;)

12 hours ago, Athena said:

Well I managed to read a book during the past few days :). So that's something. But I still don't quite feel in the reading mood. I actually dreamt last night that in the whole of the month of July I'd read 3 books instead of my more usual 10 - 30, and I was quite upset about it in my dream.

Reading one book's pretty good, I think - especially when it's an effort. :)

Ooh, what do you think the dream signifies ? I generally get a lot of breakthroughs in dreams ; I had one recently which was about deadlines . I realised  when I woke up that I could do with setting some, instead of having this attitude of ' things will miraculously sort themselves out in the  future, like my dining room table TBR or other book piles, etc'. 

I was doing quite well, then the table just got out of control... ;)

Finished All Our Wrong Todays - this month's book group read.  Interesting premise, but it all felt rather thin - on character and on science (I'm no physicist, so may have some of this wrong, but the logic didn't work  for me).  Too plot driven for my taste, and the plot felt wobbly.  2/6 stars.

Edited by willoyd