20 Years of Harry Potter - Fun Questions!

Kylie

The first Harry Potter book was published 20 years ago (yesterday...I'm a little late!)

To celebrate, I thought we could get a discussion going about the books and movies...it has been too long since we had a good HP discussion! :D

Favourite and least favourite Harry Potter books?

Favourite and least favourite Harry Potter movies?

Which house do you think you would be sorted into?

Which house did Pottermore sort you into?

Favourite and least favourite characters?

Favourite and least favourite professors?

What would your patronus be (have you received details from Pottermore, or do you have your own idea)?

What would your wand be made of? (Pottermore)

Favourite spell?

Favourite subject at Hogwarts?

Favourite thing/s about Hogwarts?

What would your post-Hogwarts occupation be?

Was anything left out of the movies that you really wanted to see?

Was anything you would cut out (or down) in the movies?

Favourite shop in Diagon Alley?

Favourite place in the wizarding world?

Feel free to expand the list!

Great idea for a topic :).

A few quick answers to the questions:

My least favourite Harry Potter book is Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. My favourite.. I'm not sure of.

My favourite film would be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. I don't know if I have a least favourite film.

I went on Pottermore and registered, but it sorted me into Gryffindor while I think I should be in Ravenclaw. I don't consider myself brave at all! I suppose it's kind of a compliment though :). I do like Gryffindor as a house.

My patronus is a bay mare according to Pottermore, though what that's based on.. seems a bit hocum. Still, I'm okay with it. In real life I'm allergic to horses, so maybe having one as a Patronus is nice.

The series contains so many great characters, I guess my favourites would be Hermione and Luna, but there are so many great characters.

Pottermore says my wand is 'Hawthorn wood with a phoenix feather core, 10" and hard flexibility', which seems pretty nice, I think.

I really should re-read the books again some time, perhaps in a few years or such. I last re-read them in 2013 / 2014.

Here goes; :D

Favourite and least favourite Harry Potter books? Prisoner of Azkaban is my favourite. Everything really kicks up a gear – there has been darkness and menace, but now it’s getting really serious, and from here things will only get darker and more intriguing. This is closely followed by The Goblet of Fire - which is harrowing to read at times. 

I cannot choose a least favourite, because they all bring something to the series, and combined present a whole.

Favourite and least favourite Harry Potter movies? Prisoner of Azkaban – great actors, good action. Order of The Phoenix gets a big nod for the scenes at Ministry of Magic.

The Philosophers Stone is a bit cheese and ham, so the one I am least likely to watch again.

Which house do you think you would be sorted into? Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff.

Which house did Pottermore sort you into? Ravenclaw

Favourite and least favourite characters? This is so tricky, do I say Hermione, Luna or Mrs Weasley? I love all three. I will go with Luna who refuses to be anyone other than herself, and is beautifully honest with her thoughts and emotions.

Least - Umbridge, and the pleasure she derived from her worst actions.

Favourite and least favourite professors?  Professor McGonagall. Throughout the series she is ‘there’ for her colleagues and the Order, but mostly it’s the students and Hogwarts. Her firm and decisive manner often disguises her inherent love of the students.

Can I /should I say Snape as least favourite? Yes, I know it’s all complicated, and he is certainly brave being a double agent, but this doesn’t change what a bullying, nasty, sneering rigid man he was. His love for Lily doesn’t let him off the hook for any of it. He allowed himself to be drawn into the Death Eaters group and he passed on information that he knew would lead to murder, and he went out of his way to make Neville’s life miserable. Unlike Harry, Dumbledore didn’t have Neville’s back!

I wonder what Neville thought of Harry naming one of his kids after the man that was shown to be the thing he was most afraid of. Perhaps the name of the one who stood by him all these years, the one who stood up to Voldy when all seemed lost, and who killed Nagini might have been a better choice for a child's second name. Yes I know…….rant over and moving on! :blush:

What would your patronus be? Welsh Border collie – often intelligent, occasionally daft. Needs regular walks and is a tad neurotic (and yes, I am describing myself!)

What would your wand be made of?  Rowan with dragon heart string core.

Favourite spell? Accio (until I can find a tea making spell).

Favourite subject at Hogwarts? Charms

Favourite thing/s about Hogwarts? All the places to discover/explore.

What would your post-Hogwarts occupation be? Chronicler. Someone’s got to record the events that took place in the run up to the Battle of Hogwarts!

Was anything left out of the movies that you really wanted to see? The scenes regarding Marvolo Gaunt and his children. I felt the hatred of muggles / creation of Horcrux aspects were not given enough emphasis.

Was anything you would cut out (or down) in the movies? The scene where Harry kills Voldemort. The book was very clear that when all his magical defences were down (all the horcruxes destroyed) then he would be reduced to being just an ordinary talented wizard, and he could be defeated. The film made it an epic performance, with all the whooshing around and crumbling into dust. What it should have been was a wand battle with a final strike and the man falls dead, all the mystery and mythology of him stripped away in those final moments.

Favourite shop in Diagon Alley? Ollivanders

Favourite place in the wizarding world? Hagrid’s Hut and the Forbidden Forest.

Edited by Chrissy

Favourite and least favourite Harry Potter books? Favourite is Goblet of Fire, least favourite is Half Blood Prince

Favourite and least favourite Harry Potter movies? Favourite is Prizoner of Azkaban (because it was the one that made me want to read the books) and Order of the Phoenix. Least favourite is The Deathly Hallows Pt 1 (aka Harry and Friends Go Camping...FOREVER!!!)

Which house do you think you would be sorted into? Ravenclaw

Which house did Pottermore sort you into? Ravenclaw

Favourite and least favourite characters? Favourites are Luna Lovegood and Remis Lupin. Least favourite is Dobby - I couldn't stick him - too bloody annoying!

Favourite and least favourite professors? Favourite professors are Lupin and McGonagle. Least favourites are Snape (because he's just a nasty, obsessive person full stop), and Dumbledor (because he plays favourites and is rather manipulative!)

What would your patronus be (have you received details from Pottermore, or do you have your own idea)? I'm a dapple grey mare according to Pottermore. I don't know why, but I wasn't at all surprised!

What would your wand be made of? (Pottermore) Elm wood with a unicorn hair core 10 3/4" and Quite Bendy flexibility

Favourite spell? Wingardium Leviosa (I'm a total Hermione and I would have been correcting people about pronunciation in exactly the same way she did - LOL!)

Favourite subject at Hogwarts? Transfiguration, History of Magic, and Muggle Studies

Favourite thing/s about Hogwarts? The feasts in the Grand Hall!!! Also, just generally exploring the castle - I love old castles. I actually live not far from Alnwick Castle (which was used for exterior shots of Hogwarts) and love visiting it!

What would your post-Hogwarts occupation be? I'd probably go into teaching, to be honest. I'd quite fancy teaching something like Muggle Studies. Either that. or I'd write for The Daily Prophet.

Was anything left out of the movies that you really wanted to see? I can't think of anything right now as it's years since I read the books - I've just started re-reading them as of yesterday, starting with the first one.

Was anything you would cut out (or down) in the movies? I wouldn't have split the last book into two movies. It felt like the first one was just the three of them camping for, like, EVER, and I got heartily bored with it. The second half was much better though.

Favourite shop in Diagon Alley? Amanuenses Quills and Scribbulus Writing Instruments (coz I adore stationery), and both Obscurus Books and Whizz Hard Books (of course!)

Favourite place in the wizarding world? I'd love to go visit Hogsmeade village

Additional question:
What is your Ilvermorny House? (Pottermore) I was sorted into Winged Serpent, which is not (as one might think) the Slytherin equivalent, but is instead (to my joy) the Ravenclaw equivalent. :)