Hello! New reader here

Tychi

Hello guys! 

I'm new here, and new to reading in general! I've occupied myself with games and TV for ages, and i'd like to start reading books. I've always found it hard to concentrate when reading and always find my mind gets distracted, Causing me to read the same page again. I'll also forget what i've just read! I want to get over this and find myself deep into a book. I've heard so many good things about books, and how they're always better then series adaptions. I also love the smell and feel of holding a book, even though i haven't done it for long! 

Does anyone have any advice on how to help me focus, I'm sure i'm not the only one who has this trouble! :).

Thanks, any input would be appreciated :)

Hello and welcome :)

Well I think most if not all can relate to this problem in one way or another.

You're new to books but is there any subjects you enjoy such as history you can read about or any authors you think you may like to try?

its hard to say really but I think you just need to relax not be tired when you do read. Have somewhere quiet and comfortable and really don't put yourself down.

I think it's great you want to read :)

honestly so many people blindly refuse to read and to each  their own but they are missing out on so much in my humble opinon.

You have come to a great place because this forum is very friendly and they'll be recommendations and quite a few write great reviews on books they have read.

Good luck and hope you find a great many books you enjoy!

Welcome here :).

I can relate to the problem, however I have ADD (attention deficit disorder, without the hyperactivity), so I'm not sure I'm the best person to help you, as my concentration issues are such that it's hard to concentrate, no matter how hard I try.

For me a quiet room works best, but some people prefer to have background music on (I do not understand that but hey). Perhaps try both to see what you prefer. Is there a room in your house where you can be on your own or where it's quiet? Having someone else watch TV in the background, I cannot deal with that.

Perhaps start with a shorter book, by an author you're really interested in, so you have more of a feel of progress. You could also try to read a comic book, graphic novel, manga book or an illustrated book, to start off with. Some people start reading comics and gravitate into 'text'books later. Reading a comic or one of those other types of illustrated book, often goes quicker than a 'text'book, for most people (per page there is a lot less text).

You could try to set yourself a goal for the day, ie. read at least 10 pages (to start small). Setting goals helps for some people, others prefer to be without. I have sort of a goal too, I like to read 100 pages a day, but lately I haven't been much in the reading mood and I've been busy with other things, so I haven't been reading much. But last year I thought 100 pages a day is a nice goal. This year I've not been reading as much.

You could try to set aside a time (per day or week) to read. In that time (ie. 15 mins), you try to read your book and not be distracted by other things.

Phones can distract some people, you could try disabling your sound or internet connect while you read, or put the phone away or such.

Coming from TV and video games, reading is kind of a different type of thing. With TV and video games, the input is at a constant pace, you do not control how fast the movie / tv show is playing or how fast the video game plays (in some cases you can - but anyway). With reading you can read faster or slower, you can put the book down and pick it up again later. My boyfriend finds it harder to concentrate on a book than on a TV show or video game. For me it's the other way around, TV shows and video games are much harder for me to focus on, as opposed to books.

You could also try an audiobook if you think it might be your sort of thing. It's not my thing at all, but some people like them so I thought I'd mention it.

I don't know if any of these tips work for you, but this is what I could come up with right now. I don't have a 100% perfect solution, the reason why people have difficulties concentrating differs between people and it's hard to say what will work for another person. Like I said, my issues comes from my disorder, in my case I have to live with it, and while I can try, it remains hard to be focussed for a longer amount of time (especially on TV, video games, conversations with other people; books are easier for me).

I hope you will be able to focus, I can imagine that since you're a new reader it might be more difficult than for some of us who've been readers longer.

I hope you enjoy your time on this forum :)!

Hi Tychi and welcome!

I think Athena gives some very good advice, I can't concentrate if there's a lot of background noise either, although music is usually OK, but talking, TV is totally distracting.

Have you thought of the Harry Potter books?  I think a lot of new readers start with those as the first couple of books are quite short. 

Good luck and hope you find your reading vibe!